Re: Two Ringforts Destroyed
Aug 10, 2010, 06:02
"I’m sorry for the medieval turn, but this time heads need to go on pikes"

Wimp.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 10, 2010, 06:13
And here's a thought - after you've paid your fine you're left with a couple of liberated acres of farmland, worth far more than the fine.
gjrk
370 posts

Aug 10, 2010, 07:59
Uh huh. Absolutely. Farmland is making, depending on quality, about €10,000 an acre at the moment. I'm correctable on this, but I skimmed the 2004 Amendment Act (the motorway act) as well yesterday and found only updated fines that referred to 'national monuments', rather than 'monuments'. Prison time might have some effect - if they get it (doubtful).

I read a depressing quote, along the same lines as your comment recently. I'll try and dig it out.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 10, 2010, 08:13
In UK (at least) you can be made to rebuild a listed house you've knocked down can't you? So.....
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 10, 2010, 08:28
gjrk wrote:
I skimmed the 2004 Amendment Act (the motorway act) as well yesterday and found only updated fines that referred to 'national monuments', rather than 'monuments'.

Don't start me. In UK metal detectorists get sent to jail for detecting on 35,000 scheduled archaeological sites but praised and professionally lickspittled for seeking out and stripping to nothing one million non-scheduled ones. Heritage protection is an utter sham in both Ireland and this country.
gjrk
370 posts

Aug 10, 2010, 08:30
That's an excellent thought. They wouldn't be 'authentic', but it would mean that nothing land-wise was gained by the monument-remover.
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: Aaaaaaaanyhow
Aug 10, 2010, 14:22
Broomstick AND cat? No, no, that's a bit much. Now I know y'all have just been pulling my overalled leg.

Hope to see everyone soon, with or without accoutrements.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

The Red Lion, Avebury
Sep 20, 2010, 20:29
Worse, nothing helps the digestion of a particularly tough bit of steak more than the realisation that for the past hour you have been drinking from the dirtiest glass in the world. But don’t feel sorry for the glass, because once, possibly recently, somebody loved that glass so much that they gave it a kiss in nice pink lipstick.

Then there’s the toilet. Dirty, small, smelly and cramped. The cubicle door has seen better days and I believe that the lock must have vanished in some weird cosmic maelstrom caused by fluctuations in the chi.

Classic :-) The rest is here - http://www.muckybadger.co.uk/
megadread
1202 posts

Re: The Red Lion, Avebury
Sep 20, 2010, 20:57
Littlestone wrote:
Worse, nothing helps the digestion of a particularly tough bit of steak more than the realisation that for the past hour you have been drinking from the dirtiest glass in the world. But don’t feel sorry for the glass, because once, possibly recently, somebody loved that glass so much that they gave it a kiss in nice pink lipstick.

Then there’s the toilet. Dirty, small, smelly and cramped. The cubicle door has seen better days and I believe that the lock must have vanished in some weird cosmic maelstrom caused by fluctuations in the chi.

Classic :-) The rest is here - http://www.muckybadger.co.uk/

I bet he wouldn't say that to kirsty's face. ; )
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: The Red Lion, Avebury
Sep 20, 2010, 21:15
I bet he wouldn't say that to kirsty's face. ; )

Why bother, when a public review will attract far more attention (not to mention, hopefully, improvements).

The Red Lion is still a good place to meet but that's about it. I haven't eaten there in years (why bother when there are half a dozen far better places to eat nearby). But really, a pub at the centre of a World Heritage Site that can't even bother to maintain locks, or basic standards of hygiene, in its toilets? What sort of message is that sending out to the national, let alone the international, visitor?
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index