goffik
3926 posts

Re: Avebury: World Megameet. Saturday, 21 August 2
Aug 22, 2010, 17:40
scubi63 wrote:
jimit wrote:
Guy from NT and his lady?
Jim.

Ah yes, I am crap with names was it gary or james or something?

That'll be Gary, I reckon! Yes. Seems like a really nice bloke. Spoken to him using ye internette a few times. :)

Absolutely gutted to have not been able to go this year. First one I've missed! Woulda been great to see you lot. Ah well. Shit happens... Hopefully see some of you before the year's out tho! :)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 22, 2010, 19:29
Thanks for the day folks, you're all lovely, lovely people.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Aug 22, 2010, 23:01
Has to be said, we missed you & yours. (Well, I did, at least!)

love

Moth
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Aug 23, 2010, 06:35
Aw, you! Cheers, matey... That's really nice to know. We missed you guys as well. Hopefully we can get summat sorted before the year's out. The Megameet's such a highlight of my year normally. So disappointed not to make it this year. :(

G x
rocket
rocket
48 posts

Aug 23, 2010, 08:06
Thank you to everyone for being so friendly. It was great to meet you all and I especially enjoyed having a good chat with Jane about art. Sorry we didn't stay for long but drinking beer in the Red Lion is always a lovely way to spend time, even if the weather outside was a bit grey and damp.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Aug 23, 2010, 17:31
:^D

love

Moth
gjrk
370 posts

Aug 24, 2010, 13:23
Perfect.

Shattered myself in the baking heat afterwards on Sunday - walking from Avebury to Silbury to WKLB to EKLB to Sanctuary to Kennet Avenue to Avebury, but what a day. Thanks for the advice Moth and Jim. Sorry Jane, I checked but I can't seem to change my TMA name from that 'exclamation on stepping in cow-dung' sound. Feck it ;D

Great talking to you too; Bucky and Loie, scubi (no problem pal ;)), Anna, Vybik, Hamish, Alan and Mikki, Jamie and Amy and especially great to finally meet you three; Nigel, LS and moss.

Thanks everyone.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Aug 24, 2010, 23:12
Lovely to meet you - would've loved to have done that little stomp around the area withya!!!

love

Moth
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: Avebury: World Megameet. Saturday, 21 August 2010
Aug 25, 2010, 05:16
Wonderful time. So good to see friends and meet new ones.

The highlight, of course, being Jimit's lovely prize. We hope he's getting over it.

Jamie took us 'round their area Sunday to see Stoney Littleton and Stanton Drew complex. Fascinating, although we didn't notice anything like baking heat. The bright sun did a good job of illuminating the barrow interior. Jamie got to say hello to some lambs. Amy was the perfect hostess after our expedition. Loie enjoyed meeting cats.

Monday our very long time friend Craig came out from London and we toured around. On the way to pick him up in Swindon, we attempted to see the ring at Winterbourne Basset, but wet weeds and grass too high to muck about in. The churchyard at Biddeston was the most picturesque we've yet seen. Excellent lunch at the King's Arms in Monkton Farleigh, a Beautiful Village and home of quite an impressive manor house. Saxon church well worth a visit to Bradford on Avon. Several things there closed too early for us to see the interiors, but a lovely town. We watched a cricket match for a few minutes without being able to appreciate the finer points of the game. Craig was no help on that. Home made pies made for quite a good supper during the Pub Quiz in the Bunch of Grapes. Was that place hopping!

Altogether, one of the best visits ever. Thank you to everyone, one and all. We promise to get to Winchester cathedral next time!
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Avebury: World Megameet. Saturday, 21 August 2010
Aug 25, 2010, 05:49
Well we're both back from Wales, slightly tired but things still whizzing through my mind.
The megameet was wonderful, everyone seemed to get on so well it was extraordinary, and though I am always negative about the Red Lion, it is a good venue, though what they think of us grabbing all those tables and chairs goodness knows... Scubi I see got back safely, hopefully Jim has washed the 'sea of resentment' against the NT away from his soul ;). Glad everyone who said they could'nt come, that they managed to in the end, and yes we missed Goff and family very much.
You seem to have had a very busy trip Bucky and Loie, now back safely in America, we both enjoyed that first meal together! Yes it was lovely to meet you too Gordon then and thank you for the book, (think I also tackled your Irish accent quite well;)
Jane, Moth and Vybik, come as a warm and welcoming trio, Vybik is the thread runner on megameets from now on.. Gentle Hamish is always a familar face, and Anne your cards got distributed around. Best wishes to Jamie and Amy, they've got some big events coming up in their lives, and for those I've forgotten to mention, will probably see you soon anyway.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index