Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
This topic is locked

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gjrk
370 posts

Re: To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
Feb 07, 2010, 00:55
No problem. I had that beard for four or five years, but I'm like an egg now. Hey, perhaps we can start some sort of Dorian Gray arrangement, where you take the torture of waiting for Robbie Keane to score, but I show all the signs of it? ;)

Seriously though, anyone would be inspired by that man you wrote about, Patrick Will.
cerrig
187 posts

Feb 07, 2010, 01:08
LOL. I've a suspicion it might just slip out at some time.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Feb 07, 2010, 02:45
gjrk wrote:
No problem. I had that beard for four or five years, but I'm like an egg now. Hey, perhaps we can start some sort of Dorian Gray arrangement, where you take the torture of waiting for Robbie Keane to score, but I show all the signs of it? ;)

Seriously though, anyone would be inspired by that man you wrote about, Patrick Will.

You must be a good egg.............I know......groan. I know Patrick keeps up with these things, he is as you say inspirational! He voiced his opinions about Robbie, but he's an Aberdeen fan........................................
faerygirl
412 posts

Feb 07, 2010, 16:25
juamei wrote:
Get on with it! Sheesh its not that hard ;)

It is quite hard... I've narrowed it down to 8

Can I have 8 votes please??
faerygirl
412 posts

Feb 07, 2010, 16:30
GLADMAN wrote:
sam wrote:
But memories of standing in Stenness in the freezing, foggy moonlight that I realise I will never go to Ibiza, and will continue to go on these stone hunts instead.

So stone hunting may not be 'normal', relative to what the average punter under a Centerparcs dome would think, but I've never wanted to be 'average' at what I experience. There must be more than Gavin and Stacy at Barry Island, surely? I want to feel, actually experience being alive, which means a lot of discomfort, too.

HA! Just got back from a week of snow in Aberdeenshire. My mum spent the same week in Portugal in the sun. She asked what we would be doing in Scotland in winter and looked at me with a "oh, she has finally lost her mind" look when I told her we would be stone circle hunting all day everyday. Average? No thanks. Digging the car out of a snow-filled ditch after trying to find Old Kieg? PERFECT :)
faerygirl
412 posts

Feb 07, 2010, 16:35
Branwen wrote:
WOW - yeah what Chris said... and...

Words of wisdom for contact with any culture, not just for those discovering the past. My teenage holiday to Majorca was ruined by all the British pubs. We may think our own culture is the best in the world, but that's no need to impose it on every other culture. If you go abroad - savour the culture there the same way you savour the neolithic culture. By immersing yourself in as close to the real thing as you can, not some fakerylaid out for those that don't want to leave their comfort zone, mentally, physically or spiritually. Perhaps it isn't that you will never visit abroad again, but that you need to take that attitude with you when you go.

Line overheard at a cafe in Spain "Wot d'ya mean ya dow 'ave red sauce? Wots ma babby gonna eat wiv her chips?" Nice moment for me. I always just pretend I'm German if there are lots of Brits about. They seem to want everything the same as home, just with better weather... Savour what places have to offer or stay at home, thats my moto :)

x
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 00:15
Yes Gordon, Keano, Keano and Ra Ra Rasmussen the Glasgow Celtic goal machine.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 16:48
Nice to see Cresswell crags get a mention. I went there on a dull tuesday morning in school term time and got to spend a lot of time at the carvings. Amazing stuff.

I'm hoping to get into Avelines hole on Mendip this spring to see the much smaller carving there which is from the same timeframe.
faerygirl
412 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 19:27
This is really hard! I asked my "stone friends" and they couldnt help me with a decision either (mostly because everytime someone mentions one we all like we get ready to get in the car and drive too it!)

So after 2 more road trips, I finally came to a decision... *drum roll*

1. Nine Stones Close for the setting (and the cows)

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/331/nine_stones_close.html

2. Cothiemuir Wood, I guess this one took my breath away because I had to trek through the snow to get to it and the woodland setting was simply beautiful. Everyone likes getting to a place and finding untouched snow :)

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/185/cothiemuir_wood.html

3. Castlerigg has the most beautiful rolling hills as a backdrop and its ALWAYS sunny there

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/70/castlerigg.html

Back-up options; Stonehead is AMAZING at sunset, Avebury always takes my breath away, West Kennet Avenue has a magical feeling about it, Devils Ring and Finger should get a mention simply because its the only thing anywhere NEAR my part of the country and Mein Hirion is well worth the drive to Anglesey (catch it at sunset!)

See, I told you I needed 8 votes

x
GLADMAN
950 posts

Feb 08, 2010, 20:46
faerygirl wrote:

2. Cothiemuir Wood, I guess this one took my breath away because I had to trek through the snow to get to it and the woodland setting was simply beautiful. Everyone likes getting to a place and finding untouched snow :)

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/185/cothiemuir_wood.html

Something's just struck me........ don't believe we've heard from Sunhoney yet? In my humble and not very expert opinion (having seen about 20 RSCs - a mere fraction) I cannot separate Cothiemuir and Sunhoney. Both exquisite rings...
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index