Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
This topic is locked

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
Feb 05, 2010, 19:42
Rupert Soskin wrote:
....I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread "In response to Gladman"... because I'm sure we all have some great stories to share from our adventures with stones. I know I'd like to hear them and reckon I'm not alone:-)

Thanks for all the kind words....... had no idea I was tapping a seam here cos I'm so used to being met with blank incomprehension, or - at best - the wry smile, as if to say 'oh, you're one of those are you?', you naturally assume the way you choose to live your life must be incredibly left field. I wouldn't say particularly intelligent either, since many clearly intelligent people wouldn't even consider hiking across Dartmoor to see a few stones... too many creepy crawlies, apparently.

I guess for me the most important attribute for a TMA-er is possessing the desire to learn more about who our ancestors were, what made them tick, what their day-to-day thoughts and dreams might have been... In this respect I guess the most obvious starting point is the physical remains they left behind in the form of their monuments and hut circles/hillforts etc. One of my joys is to go to these locations - if i can bloody find them, that is - and try to see why they were chosen. Perhaps there are magnetic anonomolies and such like, or perhaps they just shared our appreciation of a good spot. Or perhaps, just perhaps, the maxim that energy cannot be created or destroyed means there are indeed other 'traces' we cannot explain. I don't know.

Whatever, it gets me out in the beautiful countryside, I can try to improve my photography, I might learn something and... hell.. I enjoy it! It would appear many others do, too.
cerrig
187 posts

Feb 06, 2010, 05:16
Gladman,you're allright, and you've got some good company on here if these posts are anything to go by. I hope I meet some of you,any of you,one day soon.
Cymru am Byth( this sympathy even extended to Martin Johnson,because i'm feeling a bit emotional,and his team are going to lose today)
scubi63
463 posts

Feb 06, 2010, 09:42
Gladman, like everybody has said your statement rings so true with this group.
I think the vast majority of people smirk and take the piss when I tell them what I do when I go for my walkabouts. But I don’t really care, as I see it, they are the ones missing out and I would rather be out on my own in the cold and wind looking at our heritage than stuck in doors watching the TV all day…. But then I am a bit of a misanthrope

:o)
scubi63
463 posts

Feb 06, 2010, 09:47
cerrig wrote:
Cymru am Byth( this sympathy even extended to Martin Johnson,because i'm feeling a bit emotional,and his team are going to lose today)

After last autumn's lack of effort I fear you maybe correct cerrig, but I will be routing for them anyway
GLADMAN
950 posts

Feb 06, 2010, 11:19
cerrig wrote:

You sound just like my sister's fiance....he's a rugby fanatic - being Welsh n'all - and will no doubt be in front of the tele, if not actually there... can't recall. The Mam Cymru would rather be in the hills, however, which of course is sacriledge in The Valleys and has been known to wear an England shirt to the Millennium. Mind you, isn't Rugby an English game?

The funny thing, however, is that most of the few people I encounter hanging around the stones in Wales and on the Welsh hills aren't Welsh. ordinary Welsh folk to embrace their true heritage. It's therefore great that people like yourself - and Drewbhoy/Chris up in Scotland - are making a serious effort to import some local knowledge in this respect. There's nothing like it, there really isn't. For example I'm gonna have to take another look at Mynydd Epynnt in the not so distant future.....

Take care
baza
baza
1308 posts

Feb 06, 2010, 14:10
I'd better get my list in before I change it yet again:

No.1 /

Hal Saflieni Hypogeum

A wonderful subterranean complex which remained sealed and undiscovered for nigh on 4,500 years. Trilithons sculpted out of the rock; painted rooms.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/10617/hal_saflieni_hypogeum.html

No.2 /

Church Hole Cave at Creswell Crags.

No cave art was known in Britain until 2003 when a team of European archaeologists examined Church Hole Cave. I went as soon as I could and saw images of a deer, bird and bison from 13,000 years ago, in unfashionable Nottinghamshire.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3067/creswell_crags.html

No.3 /

Stonehenge

It took me a few days to realise that I must nominate Stonehenge. The first ancient monument I saw, in the early '60s. Then there was a long gap until the mid 70's and the Summer Solstice festival years. Oh, happy days, which ended in tears and exclusion. The noughties brought us Open Access and, latterly, the Stonehenge Riverside Project, both of which I have enjoyed muchly.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/458/stonehenge.html
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Feb 06, 2010, 17:10
I put Drizzlecombe at the top of my list as I have visited it so many times and never tire of it. I have named the complex as it is too hard to differentiate as everything is so close together it has to be taken as one site.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/1371/drizzlecombe_megalithic_complex.html

The others in no particular order are Assycombe Row.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/5285/assycombe_hill.html

and Scorhill Circle.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/19/scorhill.html
cerrig
187 posts

Feb 06, 2010, 19:50
My earlier invitation to Martin Johnson has since been rescinded,but the rest of you are still very welcome(anyone heard singing Sweet Chariot will be sin binned immediately)
scubi63
463 posts

Feb 06, 2010, 20:21
cerrig wrote:
My earlier invitation to Martin Johnson has since been rescinded,but the rest of you are still very welcome(anyone heard singing Sweet Chariot will be sin binned immediately)

O' me of little faith

How DOES that song go now...oh yes # Swing low, sweet chariot, Comin' for to carry me home 30-17 etc etc ;o)

If you come to the megameet this summer I won't mention it, promise :o)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2010, 22:07
Feb 06, 2010, 22:06
gjrk wrote:
Great selection Drew, and great, great reasons :)

Cheers Gordon, thanks for that. I looked at your new hairdo and thought I was looking at myself. Scary :-) Well done to Ireland in the rugby, hope you get your revenge against the French!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index