Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
This topic is locked

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
Feb 04, 2010, 22:20
sam wrote:
But memories of standing in Stenness in the freezing, foggy moonlight that I realise I will never go to Ibiza, and will continue to go on these stone hunts instead.

I reckon the sentiment 'you get nowt for nowt in this life' is spot on. Don't get me wrong, I'd been to the Spainish (etc) resorts about a dozen times prior to the early 90's, but to be honest all those holidays merge into one in the memory. Nice, but......Not so my trips to the hills and stones. Reckon I can recall every one.

Sure, I've had to prise myself out of bed on many an occassion to face the long drive to Scotland or Cumbria thinking 'why can't I take 'normal' holidays like everyone else?' during that vulnerable early morning time. I've had me tent blown into a river in Langdale, had cut lips from hail at Bryn Cader Faner, almost succumbed to hypothermia during a night near Abergwesyn, collapsed from exhaustion four miles from the car on the Nantlle Ridge... but if you live to tell the tale I think your life is immeasurably enriched in the process. It also teaches you humility, an appreciation of humanity, even - that you aren't the centre of the universe and in fact are a very small part of the scheme of things, but nevertheless a part.

So stone hunting may not be 'normal', relative to what the average punter under a Centerparcs dome would think, but I've never wanted to be 'average' at what I experience. There must be more than Gavin and Stacy at Barry Island, surely? I want to feel, actually experience being alive, which means a lot of discomfort, too.

I'm not for a moment saying that any Neolithic inhabitant wouldn't have torn your arm off for a chance to live like us and not be cold, not fear where the next meal was coming from etc. But I'd wager their lives may well have had more meaning, in the respect of having a true spiritual narrative. Little rich kids 'slumming it', with daddy ready to whisk them home when it all becomes too much doesn't do it for me. I believe to gain some insight into prehistory you have to try to venture into their world on their terms. You get out what you put in, so to speak.
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 00:53
... almost lost for words . . .

Thanks Gladman, that has to be one of the most spot on posts I've ever read on this forum, I couldn't have put it any better myself and it fair near brought a tear to my eye.

... regains composure . .

You're wrong about Barry Island though, there's almost nothing else there!

-Chris
Branwen
824 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 07:34
WOW - yeah what Chris said... and...

Words of wisdom for contact with any culture, not just for those discovering the past. My teenage holiday to Majorca was ruined by all the British pubs. We may think our own culture is the best in the world, but that's no need to impose it on every other culture. If you go abroad - savour the culture there the same way you savour the neolithic culture. By immersing yourself in as close to the real thing as you can, not some fakerylaid out for those that don't want to leave their comfort zone, mentally, physically or spiritually. Perhaps it isn't that you will never visit abroad again, but that you need to take that attitude with you when you go.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 07:52
Yes, yes ...
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 08:12
Wow! That's pretty damn spot on.

Now I know what to say when people give me the look of pity when they assume I go to, say, the Outer Hebrides instead of the mythical place so many of them seem to go known only as "skiing"* because it's a cheaper option. No - it's because it's a more fulfilling holiday for me!

* As in "Where are you going on holiday?" "Skiing!"

(Disclaimer: Not that there's owt wrong if people want to go skiing, of course! I've done it - great fun! Just not as much fun, for me, as tramping through soggy moors in the hope of finding some big ol' rocks...)

G x
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2010, 09:57
Feb 05, 2010, 09:11
Beautifully put, for me past wanderings round Wales with a large, protective, slightly racist collie can't be beaten; the sheer magic of stones in a landscape that is often wet, misty and cold beats most holidays. Woke up this morning remembering the lanes with their banks of pale primroses, and great masses of birds everywhere. There was a falcon (I think) that sat on a post in the middle of nowhere, and as I passed him, several times because I'm sure someone had turned the signposts around, I cursed the fact that my map reading skills were so miserable and I could'nt find the cromlech I was looking for. Jan Morris said of Wales that you only need to take a square metre of this small country to understand its history; I think in my metre would be the rock, water, gorse and heather that you find on St.David's Head......
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2010, 12:01
Feb 05, 2010, 11:56
... but when you finally find what you were looking for, it's like the calm to the deep, still waters of the soul.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2010, 15:55
Feb 05, 2010, 15:54
Did think about choosing non Scottish sites but I'll think I'll stay at home with Aberdeenshire.

1) Thorax. For it's scenic location, cup marked stone, being complete and I have a pal that stays in the next farm. Handy for hikes round the Knock Hill area

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2655/thorax.html

2) Mill Of Kelly. In the centre of one of North East prehistoric collection. Bellmuir, Yhtsie, Shetin, Shivas, Fedderate along with hut circles, barrows and ancient settlements are all near by. But the main reason is Patrick Will, elderly now, but in his younger day along with his late brother saved the stones of the circle as the estate owners wanted to use them in walls and building. More importantly he made details of the stones original locations and notified the proper authorities. They are still safe in the walls surrounding his birth place. He still loves history and every now and then I give him a hurl about on some easy adventures. He is the font of all knowledge and folklore in this area. Lovely man.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/11855/mill_of_kelly.html

3) Forvie Kerb Cairns. I found these and have loved the place ever since. They are difficult to find in an ever changing landscape. Early churches and a burgh are nearby and the whole area is a nature research well looked after. It is also up the road from the Menie Dunes, Balmedie scene of a battle between some pals and Mr Trump.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/11959/forvie_kerb_cairns.html

But to be fair I love all of them. The one's seen and one's to come plus all of yours!
gjrk
370 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 16:04
Great selection Drew, and great, great reasons :)
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 16:26
GLADMAN wrote:

I reckon the sentiment 'you get nowt for nowt in this life' is spot on. Don't get me wrong, I'd been to the Spainish (etc) resorts about a dozen times prior to the early 90's, but to be honest all those holidays merge into one in the memory. Nice, but......Not so my trips to the hills and stones. Reckon I can recall every one.

Thanks Gladman, I loved this so much I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread "In response to Gladman"... because I'm sure we all have some great stories to share from our adventures with stones. I know I'd like to hear them and reckon I'm not alone:-)

Rupert
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index