The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Time Team R.I.P. ?

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gwass
193 posts

Re: Time Team R.I.P. ?
Jan 08, 2010, 23:52
I saw smething on telly recently where Tony Robinson said he'd signed up to do another 2 series of TT. Also there's loads of good prehistoric episodes on 4OD and most of the ones with roman/saxon titles often end up being hijacked when they find a round house or barrow anyway. 6 Months unemployed after redundancy this summer gave me a bit too much time on my hands!
faerygirl
412 posts

Jan 08, 2010, 23:53
[quote=

I was reading this fella Graham Hancock. site (you may say he's an idiot not worth reading) on the underwater archaeology around India. Says there's evidence to say that the Vedas might be more historical than legendary, as things they are finding are mentioned in the Vedas.
http://www.grahamhancock.com/underworld/underworld5.php

Scotland is higher because of bounce back after the ice, but the seas rose when the ice melted too didn't they? I remember watching a show about Scotland where they said the coastline disappeared at a rate of two metres per year. Doggerland under the North Sea often throws up good finds, I think Time Team did a show on that too.[/quote]

Hancocks books are amazing. Heavens Mirror and Underworld spring to mind. BRILLIANT reference to Yonaguni in Underworld, and you should read the Vedas, its kinda scary how much they knew, things that science is finding now.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 00:03
faerygirl wrote:
But the land between Scotland and Ireland was above sea level during the Iceage, and there are partial stone circles on some scottish islands where the rest is (supposedly) in the sea.

No stone circles that we know date from ice or earlier , the land rose higher than subsequent ice melt sea levels except in a few places ,Orkney is one , where there are some possible early monuments under sea water .Can only think of the coastal stone circles of Brittany which are under water .Are there Scottish ones ?
faerygirl
412 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 00:03
Littlestone wrote:
The Yonaguni formations really are intriguing - hard to believe they're not manmade but some think they're natural.

Interestingly, Wiki says that, "The local language, which is incomprehensible to Japanese speakers, and even to speakers of other Ryukyu languages is still spoken by a few elderly inhabitants." That could mean that it's a strong dialect, hard to understand, or it might be an unknown Chinese or even Ainu dialect (or a lost language althogether). Not sure if the Ainu were that far south though.

Have you SEEN them? There is a perfect turtle cut-out, steps, a horse-shoe shape wih an avenue. Now, as a geologist, I appreciate the cleave of the rock is at about 30degrees but to suggest thats its totally natural seems pretty insane. I understand that it COULD happen, but only in the way that 80% of the stones on this website could have ended up in the positions they are in, and end up carved with all the cup and ring marks naturally...
faerygirl
412 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 00:10
tiompan wrote:
faerygirl wrote:
But the land between Scotland and Ireland was above sea level during the Iceage, and there are partial stone circles on some scottish islands where the rest is (supposedly) in the sea.

No stone circles that we know date from ice or earlier , the land rose higher than subsequent ice melt sea levels except in a few places ,Orkney is one , where there are some possible early monuments under sea water .Can only think of the coastal stone circles of Brittany which are under water .Are there Scottish ones ?

I'm mostly guessing, but there are cicles (Bernera Bridge Circle?) which sure LOOK like there used to be more of it, and some islands were connected.
Surely lots of the ages on these things are guesses anyway?! How is most of it estimated? Based on other variables around the site? Thats the point with Yonaguni and the temples off the coast of India. If they could be explored fully then minimum ages could be better established.
Gwass
193 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 00:38
Here are the link

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team/4od#2933991
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 01:29
faerygirl wrote:
tiompan wrote:
faerygirl wrote:

I'm mostly guessing, but there are cicles (Bernera Bridge Circle?) which sure LOOK like there used to be more of it, and some islands were connected.
Surely lots of the ages on these things are guesses anyway?! How is most of it estimated? Based on other variables around the site?

Bernera Bridge stones are about 45 feet above the loch , if there were any other stones , and there is no evidence for them they wouldn't have been lost to water levels rising . We can only date from rc dating any finds associated with the monumnet or estimate in relation to typology. No stone circle has survived from pre Holocene ,if there ever were any and we have no reason to believe there were . Those monuments like standing stones that have no dating associations or estimates from typology may as well be 17 th C or 21 st C as Bronze Age . There have been major changes in our knowledge of the age of monuments ,a good scottish example are the Clava cairns , once believed to be Neolithic we now they were much later .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 09, 2010, 14:32
They certainly seem to be manmade, but I'm not totally convinced. Haven't seen the things myself but there's quite a good account of them by Robert Schoch (1999) who has - http://circulartimes.org/Enigmatic%20Yonaguni%20Underwater%20RMS%20CT.htm

In part Schoch says -

"I think it should be considered a primarily natural structure until more evidence is found to the contrary. However, by no means do I feel that this is an absolutely closed case. The question of its genesis - - artificial versus natural - - may not be an all or nothing question. We should also consider the possibility that the Yonaguni Monument is fundamentally a natural structure that was utilized, enhanced, and modified by humans in ancient times. The Yonaguni Monument may even have been a quarry from which blocks were cut, utilizing natural bedding, joint, and fracture planes of the rock, and thence removed for the purpose of constructing other structures which are long since gone."

Thanks for reminding me of them though. What I do find intriguing is the occurrence of two mysteries in same place - ie these amazing structures/formations and a, "... local language, which is incomprehensible to Japanese speakers, and even to speakers of other Ryukyu languages [and which] is still spoken by a few elderly inhabitants."

Will try to find out a bit more about the latter.
Gwass
193 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 06:10
Other good prehistoric episodes are flag fen where they find a barrow (on an island of the dead)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team/4od#2928278

There's also the causewayed enclosure one (a cracker too!)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team/4od#2929878

There's loads of other good ones too based on the neolithic & bronze age where they find another henge!, trackways, roundhouses etc. It may not be everyones cup of tea but it's on telly, they are digging, learning and being in these landscapes, talking about them and focussing on what we all like. Surely that has to be worth watching. It's gven me a lot of joy anyway

Oh yeah, the amazing special I saw about seahenge in 1999 which I'be been looking for for ages is covered in a catch up review,time team digs about their neolithic & bronze age programmes. Well worth a watch. Even for the druids!
Here it is

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team-digs/4od#2927032
Branwen
824 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 11:03
Cheers GWASS, that's really helpful for speedy downloading next time I'm at the internet cafe and have the faster speeds to get a whole bunch of stuff at once.

Not sure what "even the druids" means, but then again, I'm not typical and haven't fit any of the druid groups I've tried over the last 20 years. Ever hopeful, and to save boring youse all to death, I've signed up for some new druid forums this new year, so I haven't totally given up, obviously.

Actually, I remember the Seahenge one because the local Druids asked to give an opinion but were ignored. I would imagine they wanted Time Team to consider the possibility the upside down tree was a shaft burial, and not an altar. That would mean human remains might be involved though. That then means different rules apply, which (I think?) would have meant they had to approach the dig differently, precluding the possibility of moving the whole thing away.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index