Stonehenge »
The Blue Stone Enigma

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
megadread
1202 posts

Re: The Blue Stone Enigma
Jun 24, 2009, 16:45
I can't go with the transportation theory at all, it just seems an impossible and implausible feat, the tides, currents etc.
Look how the experiment to transport just a single stone failed so miserably.
I could be open minded to a combination of glaciation and human transportation with the bluestones being dumped in england then dragged to stonehenge but transportation alone, nah, i'm with Burl.

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba45/ba45int.html
tonyh
247 posts

Edited Jun 24, 2009, 18:57
Jun 24, 2009, 17:38
Personaly, I find the debate limiting..

We know where the stones originated from and where they ended up but We have know idea where else they may have been..

Why should We believe that the route was directly from Wales to Salisbury Plain..

They may very well have been recycled from another site both near the Plain or far away..

Tony
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 24, 2009, 21:18
Arf!

Well, I'm pretty sure Gordon's gone on to have some pretty successful experiments with stone transportation. It was a shame the televised one didn't go to plan, but we were rather governed by when the cameras would be rolling. That, combined with the fact that the method was still pretty much in its' infancy, I feel, contributed to the fact that we didn't do as well as we'd hoped to do, as far as stone-rowing went, at any rate.

As you so rightly say, though - pulling it with ropes and rollers surprised the hell out of all of us with how easy it was! Especially poor Simon ;) (whatever happened to him, I wonder - nice bloke!)

So dragging the bluestomer all that distance - while being time-consuming - would have been easy enough I reckon. And if the stones HAD been deposited nearby by glacier, them even easier still! Although the quarries in Preselli are intriguing. The half-quarried bluestones don't half look familiar! ;)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 24, 2009, 21:58
"while being time-consuming"

Well here's a wild thought.... if a hundred or three of you could bowl along at 3 mph dragging a pitiful little bluestone (without rollers) overland direct from the Bristol Channel while hardly raising a sweat why would you bother messing around floating it up a river? ;)

[Caveat: no books were opened during the making of this theory. All rights reserved.]
tonyh
247 posts

Jun 24, 2009, 22:11
Why would anybody ride a Push Bike when You could drive a Car?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 02:27
tiompan wrote:

Old Keig area is considered to have been relatively glaciation free .

Considered by whom?
An archaeologist or a geologist?
PeteG
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 02:32
same here Tony but Brians book raises some interesting points that I had never considered before.
Like why so many bluestones were from different quarries and why some of them are considerd rubbish stones.
I'll lend you my copy of the book, no one here seems to want to read it.
it's a bit like the crop circle Believers eh?
Pete
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 02:33
if you don't want to buy the book get it from a library and give it a read.
PeteG
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 02:35
merlin was said to have bought the stones from Ireland so the drawings of him towering over the stones is possible if thay were the small bluestones.
On the other hand if the sarsens were bought from Ireland then where the hell did they come from?
megadread
1202 posts

Jun 25, 2009, 02:54
tonyh wrote:
Why would anybody ride a Push Bike when You could drive a Car?

Because you could maneuver your bike through woodland. ?
If you get my meaning. ?
Jeez, the penny dropped, i just worked out why they made so many axes. ; )
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index