25 posts

Re: Theories on 'cup and ring marks'
Mar 29, 2008, 13:50
thanks for that, most interesting
Intuit147
5 posts

Aug 15, 2021, 10:44
I’m new on here, so apologies if my suggestion is outdated. To me, cup and ring marks suggest a sort of spiritual tally system. The cups would represent the individual, the carver, and the rings would indicate how many times some key event have taken place - a ritual, or a pilgrimage perhaps. The lines cutting through might represent genealogy, I.e. from the original mark-maker to their next descendent, or to someone who has replaced their function, like a subsequent priest. Or the lines might represent a completion, e.g. completion of their life, or their tenure. The way that some rings stop at the edge of other rings might suggest that rings were added over a period of time, I.e. they experienced more events than they anticipated when they started their marks.now that we believe that pilgrimages were carried out to important locations like Stonehenge, would this ring-tallying be a good explanation for cup and ring marks? What do you think?
Intuit147
5 posts

Aug 15, 2021, 11:37
I’m new on here, so apologies if my suggestion is outdated. To me, cup and ring marks suggest a sort of spiritual tally system. The cups would represent the individual, the carver, and the rings would indicate how many times some key event have taken place - a ritual, or a pilgrimage perhaps. The lines cutting through might represent genealogy, I.e. from the original mark-maker to their next descendent, or to someone who has replaced their function, like a subsequent priest. Or the lines might represent a completion, e.g. completion of their life, or their tenure. The way that some rings stop at the edge of other rings might suggest that rings were added over a period of time, I.e. they experienced more events than they anticipated when they started their marks.now that we believe that pilgrimages were carried out to important locations like Stonehenge, would this ring-tallying be a good explanation for cup and ring marks? What do you think?
Intuit147
5 posts

Aug 19, 2021, 10:48
Having now visited Roughting Linn in Northumberland at https://w3w.co/amending.unspoiled.national I feel that my previous suggestion wasn’t correct. A significant proportion of the marks have channels, and it’s clear the channel marks were made as part of the original mark. It seems unlikely that individual cup and ring marks were made over long periods, I.e. there was probably a single making event. My current thinking is that the cups and rings were made one at a time, and not very often, otherwise there would be many more of them (why are there so few)? I’m thinking that they may have been created by shamans on behalf of other individuals, and infrequently. If the cups represent individuals, the the rings might be conferring a level of spiritual protection, or healing, around the individual. The channels could represent birthing, so possibly represent a charm for fertility, or protecting pregnancy.
Intuit147
5 posts

Aug 19, 2021, 11:34
Further: if the rocks were used by shamans and not by other members of the community, I wonder whether they were in designated areas, e.g. marked as sacred, entry restricted to spiritual arbiters and their clients. It would be interesting to know if any cup and ring marked stones are within a ring of post holes or even a ring of stones marking the special area. Does anyone know of evidence of this, I.e. archaeological investigations around cup and ring stones that have identified evidence for buried post holes or similar?
Intuit147
5 posts

Aug 19, 2021, 11:34
Further: if the rocks were used by shamans and not by other members of the community, I wonder whether they were in designated areas, e.g. marked as sacred, entry restricted to spiritual arbiters and their clients. It would be interesting to know if any cup and ring marked stones are within a ring of post holes or even a ring of stones marking the special area. Does anyone know of evidence of this, I.e. archaeological investigations around cup and ring stones that have identified evidence for buried post holes or similar?
GLADMAN
950 posts

Aug 21, 2021, 12:10
Not sure if you've had a look at this BRAC link... but if not?

http://ukra.jalbum.net/brac/About%20BRAC/index.html

Tiompan no longer contributes here; however, if you can manage to correspond through other channels.....

For what it's worth, my experience with the placement of upland cairns strongly suggests (to me) an element of exclusivity - having to be 'in the know' to appreciate what's going on.. i.e monuments apparently placed specifically to overlook a certain sector, not able to be seen from some directions when it would've been a simple matter to achieve complete visibility.
Badsocks
1 posts

Oct 09, 2021, 19:05
Hob wrote:
Piddle.
That link doesn't work now does it. Which is odd, cos it just appeared on my screen, but then when I refreshed, just a snotty message from geocities. I can't believe my work machine has cached the page for so long. Or is it geocities being gits?

Msny years later ...
After Yahoo pulled the plug on Geocities, a lot (but sadly not all) of the files were rescued and are available at oocities.org
Kevin L. Callahagn's (very interesting) page (with Morris' list) from
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/5579/folklore.html
is alive and well at its new home:

https://www.oocities.org/athens/Acropolis/5579/folklore.html

(or at least it was, five minutes ago).
Be aware that oocities has limited bandwidth and often stops working suddenly at busy times.
Enjoy!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index