tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Theories on 'cup and ring marks'
Mar 27, 2008, 12:52
fitzcoraldo wrote:
Hi G
did you get those photies?

Hi Fitz ,certainly did thanks , but e-mailed you straight after, looks like it didn't arrive ?? Also sent a pic of the stones that I had but filed under another name . doh .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 27, 2008, 12:59
Snap wrote:
Not only were they before the use of metal why would thy have loads of moulds the same size? How would they use the ones that stand up? Try this one used for grinding herbs, potions, tinctures such as woad, hallucinogenic plants mushrooms, and other sacred herbs/plants. This for the horizontal and star patterns, for the vertical and/ or sources of “GOOD” water. They did use rocks/ pebbles in the holes to show stars (see Feaghna county Kerry aka rolls of butter) There is a picture in my Photos this is the main stars of Orion the hunter as seen over the hill in the distance. The brightness of the stars is shown by the size and depth of the holes. The stone in the middle is Phallic there are lots of alignments in this valley. I will try to add the photo and stars alignments to that site if anyones intrested
Snap

Hi Snap ,
How do you know the stones in the holes represent stars ?
I'd be interested to see all of Orion , but a slight bend in a line of three whether pyramids , henges , cup marks or wise men doesn't show much evidence of intentionality to me .
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Mar 27, 2008, 13:08
This picture of the Hags Chair features a possible representation of the plough,
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/44244/images/cairn_t.html
however it's also a good illustration of how the evidence can be 'bent' to fit the theory. If you look at the illustration in Fergusson's book (p.215) the lines that join the cups into the shape just don't exist. In other words the picture has been doctored.
Snap
106 posts

Mar 27, 2008, 13:47
I will copy the Orion thing to show peeps it,s found in The Antiquities of the Sheen River Valley by Daniel O'Conner. There's another Bullan at Milleens, where the standing stone at Gortna gappul has an outline similar to the Norther Crown pity we can't put drawings on here. As for the water lines I mentioned Tom Graves in Needles of Stone shows quite a few illustrations of the simalarity between, Creyke deapthing patterns(as used in dowsing) and cup and ring marks(Stone at Old Bewick Northumberland) being a very good example
Snap
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 27, 2008, 15:26
fitzcoraldo wrote:
This picture of the Hags Chair features a possible representation of the plough,
however it's also a good illustration of how the evidence can be 'bent' to fit the theory. If you look at the illustration in Fergusson's book (p.215) the lines that join the cups into the shape just don't exist. In other words the picture has been doctored.

Not the for the first time .Another favourite is to omit stuff that doesn't fit in the theory , usually astro or calendrical e.g. drawings of kerb stone K15 from Knowth often has features missing .
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 28, 2008, 06:25
StoneGloves wrote:
I didn't say that rock art was figurative just that my piece had a figurative element upon it. 'Natural erosion'. The other figurative rock art that I can recall is the foot on the stone in the Liverpool park. I think there are other examples too. Under the Passage Grave Art heading.

Sorry, misunderstood you in the context. Shame about the stone (or rather, shame about the opinion.)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 28, 2008, 06:27
fitzcoraldo wrote:

You mean the lines don't exist today -

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/53826/images/cairn_t.html

but then not a lot does on that stone.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Mar 28, 2008, 06:58
We need an ancient geologist to look at it now ...
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 28, 2008, 08:48
StoneGloves wrote:
'

I didn't say that rock art was figurative just that my piece had a figurative element upon it. 'Natural erosion'. The other figurative rock art that I can recall is the foot on the stone in the Liverpool park. I think there are other examples too. Under the Passage Grave Art heading.

Poof Farm cist cover and the Cochno Stone , now under a metre of earth , also have footprints . More common in Scandnavia . In some cultures the foot represents the sun .And there are also the various mace heads , daggers found in , usually , funerary contexts .
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Mar 28, 2008, 10:01
Hi Tom
Unless someones doctored my reprint, the lines don't exist on Fergussons drawing.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index