Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Re: 2008 Avebury Megameet
Jun 30, 2008, 12:29
Hey!

Good to meet everyone, at least we only had a few spots of rain!

Looking forward to the next one,

SM
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jun 30, 2008, 12:39
Doh.

:^)

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 30, 2008, 15:14
Thanx everyone for a great meet.
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Jun 30, 2008, 17:13
Thoroughly enjoyed myself, meeting old and new people. These meets never seem to be long enough to have a good chinwag with each person. We must do it more often and start earlier!
Jim.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2008, 14:31
Jul 01, 2008, 07:28
Ach, what can I say, you're a lovely bunch of people.

Three years ago I nearly didn't go to the first Avebury Megameet - the crossover from cyberspace to the 'real' meeting with people seemed just a bit too daunting. Then someone insisted I should go, so I did - and like I say what I found was a lovely bunch of people. So if anyone's feeling like I did three years ago (a bit daunted or whatever) forget it - at the next Megameet all you'll find are nice people with similar megalithic interests as your own.

Over twenty people showed up and there were two canine attendees as well :-) Gotta say though that the real star of the show was mini-Goff in his new playsuit with whipangel's brilliant T-shirt design. Thanks for that wA (and S), it was really kind of you to do the T-shirts and hand them out like that.

There are always personal snapshot memories - like meeting Chance, Pilgrim, scubi, Spaceship mark and Vybik Jon for the first time. It's really weird, and really lovely, to stand around chatting with people you've already chatted to in forums but have never met face-to-face. Then there are the people who you have met before and who have become friends. People who have been on TMA and other places longer than most and who have contributed so much to our understanding, protection and appreciation of the megalithic world; for those people it's hard to find the right words, other than thank you for those who were there and to the continued spiritual presence of those who are sadly no longer with us.

Sorry you missed us Rockabilly (and others who couldn't make it) but hope to see you all next year (which will be the 4th Avebury Megameet and one which BuckyE and Loie from the States have promised not to miss. Looking forward to it already :-)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 01, 2008, 08:34
Very well said, LS!

Yeah - we all had a great time, as usual.

It was, as ever, an absolute pleasure to see you all. I came away as I always do with the feeling that we should do it more often!

So many people, so little time to talk to you all properly!

Superb to see the usual suspects, along with new faces (to me, anyway!) Chance and Scubi - even Cropredy came over to say hello to a few people, which was nice! And nice to reacquaint with those I've not really had much of a chance to speak with previously - Spaceship Mark, amd (nee WhipAngel) and Mrs amd (nee Mrs WhipAngel) in particular. ;)

And what a lovely surprise to see Pilgrim! Next time we're down Dartmoor way, we'll give you a shout!

Mini Goff looks superb his t-shirts. Thank you so much for those, amd... So very thoughtful! I shall forward you some pics when I get them on my PC.

All in all a great day!

Moth took us up to see Avebury Down Stone Circle (http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/6854/penning.html), which was far more spectacular than I'd imagined! Although I think we were all agreed that it was more of a cairn circle than a stone circle, but it didn't diminish what was a really lovely site. And yes - I got a bit sunburned on the ol' noggin too! But it was worth it just to see that lovely circle and those hares. :)

Chance mentioned the possibility of meeting up again at Lammas (beginning of August, I believe) - could be good if anyone fancies it?

Until next time...

G x (and Mrs G & Mini G)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 01, 2008, 09:41
That's a good idea about the Lammas meet Goff, (August 1st, though it is a friday). Chance did say about putting the details up nearer the time.
Also as you mentioned Cropredy, I would like to put on a few words on this forum which he wrote somewhere else, which I think was very sweet of him, and especially as a certain amount of dowsing was done by the most sceptical person on this forum ;) ........

I met the mottly crew from a more colourfull forum, they were fine.
I didn't expect hug and kisses, I did get smiles and hand shakes . .....

they don't comprehend what I am about, though one or two may do?
But they clearly care and are friends with each other, good for them.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Tangent: Sardinian 'bear men'
Jul 02, 2008, 10:15
Anyone who was listening in the cove, I knew I wasn't making it up. Behold the Mamuthones:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWIIT6IF8U&feature=related

http://www.sardinian.net/sardinia/Traditions/mamuthones_mamoiada.htm
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Re: Tangent: Sardinian 'bear men'
Jul 02, 2008, 10:36
Spaceship mark wrote:
Anyone who was listening in the cove, I knew I wasn't making it up. Behold the Mamuthones:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWIIT6IF8U&feature=related

http://www.sardinian.net/sardinia/Traditions/mamuthones_mamoiada.htm

You're making that up !!

:o)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Re: Tangent: Sardinian 'bear men'
Jul 02, 2008, 10:51
He probably wasn't even at the Megameet.

By the way, Noddy - is the white witch in your avatar Geri Halliwell?
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index