Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Blog now on Heritage Action Myspace
Jul 05, 2007, 21:12
Cursuswalker wrote:
My full write-up is here:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/60466/fieldnotes/long_man_of_wilmington.html

Heritage Action, please feel free to pilfer it as you see fit.

Hi, Cursuswalker,

Just like to say that your top post is now up on the Heritage Action Myspace site:

http://www.myspace.com/heritageaction

Blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=183669997

Peace

Pilgrim

X
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Re: Tell Trinny and Susannah what you think
Jul 05, 2007, 21:51
Stuck my two penneth in on the Sussex Today website, was suitably insulting on the Winnet and Shoetanner's website, and emailed a couple of the local papers. I applaud you Mr Curcuswalker for your dilligence in this matter.
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Apology
Jul 05, 2007, 23:49
I am able to report that one of our protestors has received a personal apology from one of the women involved.

She said she did not realise how much the Long Man meant to many people and also confirmed that they were told it was just concrete blocks and nothing more. They were also told not to take the leaflets being given out by protestors.

On the downside, and it is only right to report this, she told me about the appalling, and quite unacceptable, verbal abuse they received from a group totally unassociated with us. I have no reason to disbelieve her. This group have not created any of the media attention this issue has needed and I do not wish to be associated with them.

This apology should be accepted in the spirit intended, in my view, as it is a sign that our message has got across. I hope more of the participants will follow suit.

The Sussex Archaeological Society are also realising that giving permission for this event was a bad idea and have asked to meet with a local druid who is also a Heritage Action site inspector and a member of LAW. Hopefully this meeting will be productive.

What remains is for ITV to be shamed into not daring to use the footage they obtained, which can only encourage further abuse of the Long Man of Wilmington.

The woman concerned expressed disappointment at the idea that the footage would go unused, until it was pointed out to her that what happened on the Long Man may result, in the long run, in closer cooperation between the owners of the site and those who care for the Long Man.
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Re: CALLING HERITAGE ACTION! PHONE CONVERSATION NEEDED
Jul 06, 2007, 00:21
VenerableBottyBurp wrote:

Just to say best of luck.

VBB

Thankee!
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 00:22
nigelswift wrote:
Alternatively, is it okay for me to talk to the Daily Mail as a representative of Heritage Action? Yes or no?

Yes of course. You've been an HA site inspector since Trinny and Susannah were obscure wannabees. But I'll email you anyway.

It shall be done :-)
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 00:24
I must repeat what I said in an e-mail to Nigel:

The honours for all of this go to a small group of local druids who have been photographing, phoning, posting and generally creating havoc where it is most needed. The time will come when a role of honour will need to be called.

Huge credit to King Arthur and the Loyal Arthurian Warband, Anderida Druid Grove and Gorsedd, Ashdown Grove, Avronelle Seedgroup, the Insular Order of Druids and Kevin Carlyon.

Strength and honour!
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: Apology
Jul 06, 2007, 10:19
This is a result, I would like to thank this woman for her forthright honesty and rationalism.

Heritage orgs, especially national heritage orgs should note that they do make what EH call 'oversights'. If that is acknowledged we can all make sure whatever went awry doesn't get repeated. This is better for sites & all concerned, and far more important than saving political face which to be frank might be a tad embaressing but but mere splashing in the end that is shallow.

From personal experience this heritage 'oversight' fever has been due to exclusive reliance on historians and archaeologists who have a very concentrated focus of interest in relation to a subject. Where this is a site, that interest whilst microscopic dominates to the exclusion of all others. Heritage sites are so frequently single faceted the visiting public are brainwashed into thinking any further or different interest is obscure or quirky and anyone that follows these interests are eccentric and do not know what they are talking about.

Surprise surprise then, that folk beyond heritage orgs have their own life experiences and knowledge, they have different beliefs and interests, and a quite different focus. The wider public have started to recognise how heritage has been presented in narrow minded form, and find the more encompassing & varied the history the easier it is for them to pick it up from their individual experience and interest. All of a sudden it is the ivory towers of academy which are quirky, and heritage orgs lemmings taking interest in history to the brink...

Sorry, for going off on one, I think that must be my new breakfast food 'phsycology muesli' ...

Thanks again to that forthright woman,

VBB :o)
Stix
2 posts

Re: English Heritage Statement
Jul 06, 2007, 10:22
ENGLISH HERITAGE STATEMENT

Following an inspection of The Long Man of Wilmington in East Sussex (WED,) English Heritage believes that archaeological remains did not suffer any significant damage during the filming activities that took place there recently. During our visit we did note damage to the turf in some areas, which appears to be very recent and might have been caused during filming, and that two to four of the modern concrete blocks that delineate the head are missing, although we cannot say whether they were lost during the filming or whether they had been previously lost. In both cases the damage is superficial and can be repaired.
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: Dod man problem
Jul 06, 2007, 10:23
tiompan wrote:
Any substance to the rumour that Ant & Dec are to insert a time capsule in an orifice .

Surely that would be open to cristicism as too DECandANT !

VBB (having just ruined any chance of employment with the UN)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Dod man problem
Jul 06, 2007, 10:27
VenerableBottyBurp wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Any substance to the rumour that Ant & Dec are to insert a time capsule in an orifice .

Surely that would be open to cristicism as too DECandANT !

VBB (having just ruined any chance of employment with the UN)

:-)
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index