Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: English Heritage Statement
Jul 06, 2007, 10:39
Stix wrote:
ENGLISH HERITAGE STATEMENT

Following an inspection of The Long Man of Wilmington in East Sussex (WED,) English Heritage believes that archaeological remains did not suffer any significant damage during the filming activities that took place there recently. During our visit we did note damage to the turf in some areas, which appears to be very recent and might have been caused during filming, and that two to four of the modern concrete blocks that delineate the head are missing, although we cannot say whether they were lost during the filming or whether they had been previously lost. In both cases the damage is superficial and can be repaired.

What a surprise that EH have missed the point. Whether or not there was direct damage from this fashion stunt, it encourages others to use this and other turf monuments to carry out similar stunts. The effects of that are twofold.

First off, as we have seen from the number of incidents in relation to other hill figures since the Big Brother episode at Uffington, this has become an increasing trait. Not all of these have sought permission, and a number of them have caused lasting damage. Approved stunts merely encourage and condone what inevitably leads to this damage.

Secondly, this trait is gratuitously showing disrespect for hill figures as monuments. Some are only a few years old, Uffington is prehistoric, but every single one means rather a lot to countless millions of individuals and thousands of groups. Hill figures are used as symbols of region and county, local and community identity. Shops and businesses are named after them, and of course many are venerated in historic and spiritual ways. They are monuments and as such are part of our historic environment. Is it then right that these symbols that are so cared for and expensively maintained should suffer degradation and insult even when this is so called harmless fun for charity, as in the case of the red nose day horse ?

We all know how the church reacted to the cyber game based on a cathedral, and we all recall the reaction of the authorities to a statue of Churchill getting a green paint punk hairdo. Is it not hypocritical to react like this whilst encouraging stunts in association with hill figures ?

That muesli, it just won't stop repeating on me...

VBB
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 10:52
"What a surprise that EH have missed the point. Whether or not there was direct damage from this fashion stunt, it encourages others to use this and other turf monuments to carry out similar stunts."

Who says they missed the point?
We could hardly expect the Time Capsule boys to announce that thoughtless official stunts lead to similar stunts!
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 11:48
nigelswift wrote:
"What a surprise that EH have missed the point. Whether or not there was direct damage from this fashion stunt, it encourages others to use this and other turf monuments to carry out similar stunts."

Who says they missed the point?
We could hardly expect the Time Capsule boys to announce that thoughtless official stunts lead to similar stunts!

Ouch! I see you consumed a bucket of 'on the offensive muesli' this morning !

Once again though this is suits, not doers! Less suits more doers is what I say.

VBB
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 13:37
eee, VBB, I like wot yer saying lad and I like how yer saying it.

Where yer gettin' that muesli from then?
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 14:02
Stix wrote:
ENGLISH HERITAGE STATEMENT

Following an inspection of The Long Man of Wilmington in East Sussex (WED,) English Heritage believes that archaeological remains did not suffer any significant damage during the filming activities that took place there recently. During our visit we did note damage to the turf in some areas, which appears to be very recent and might have been caused during filming, and that two to four of the modern concrete blocks that delineate the head are missing, although we cannot say whether they were lost during the filming or whether they had been previously lost. In both cases the damage is superficial and can be repaired.

Response to the EH statement:

1) There is no question of the missing concrete blocks having been removed during the filming, from what I saw and heard of the event.

2) The opinion of archaeologists seems to be that on a site like this most significant archaeology ends up at the bottom of the hill, where the 2003 dig took place. However damage having been caused cannot be ruled out, even if significant damage can be. How does one define "significant" by the way?

3) There is a very good chance that some or most of the damage to turf was caused during filming, again going by my own observations and those of others I have spoken to. It would be serious turf-damage indeed that could not be repaired!

I am just waiting for those involved to leap on this statement as proof that they are off the hook. It does not do that. Avoidable damage to the turf on the Long Man is unacceptable under any circumstances and this WAS avoidable. Of course we may never know if archaeology has been damaged, but again deliberately placing the site in a situation where it might be is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Since ITV undertook to pay for all repairs to the Long Man during filming, can we now assume that they will pay ALL the costs of repair, in material, fuel, wages etc., to the penny?
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

You Tube video
Jul 06, 2007, 17:05
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

You Tube film of the events of last Monday.
Jul 06, 2007, 17:08
From Damh the Bard:

"A video filmed at the Long Man protest can now be found on YouTube here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aRygEvMfuCU

To embed this video in your own website just copy and paste this HMTL code onto your page:

It ain't pretty, but it tells a story.

Peace
Damh"
Robert Carr
84 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2007, 19:59
Re: You Tube film of the events of last Monday.
Jul 06, 2007, 19:28
Damh wrote:
It ain't pretty, but it tells a story.

Hi Cursuswalker,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aRygEvMfuCU

Thanks to Damh via yourself for the YouTube link. An excellent piece of internet TV which fills in the gaps for those like me who have been following the Trinnah and Susanny 'Long Man' debacle.

I do admire (to echo previous posts) the way that you and team have harnessed the media and the internet to present your case. Also the conduct of the protesters although I can imagine that you were boiling inside.

I also hope that something positive comes of this such as raisng the awareness of all local authority heritage and archaeology departments to the perils of TV and film crews (both well known as wreckers).

Are you, Greg and Damh going up to Rotherwas to sort that lot out? They need you mate. Also there is a little problem up my way with 119 wind turbines to be splattered over our ancient hills when you can fit it in :-)

All the best and keep it coming.
JohnDee007
23 posts

Re: Long Man of Wilmington - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Jul 06, 2007, 20:01
Big deal, it's not like they're driving D9 Cats is it?
Get a grip!
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Re: Long Man of Wilmington - URGENT HELP NEEDED
Jul 07, 2007, 01:28
JohnDee007 wrote:
Big deal, it's not like they're driving D9 Cats is it?
Get a grip!

Another idiot displays their ignorance of this site.

Sorry, not in "nice" mode over this I'm afraid. I was in that line at the end.
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index