Books of possible interest

Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gjrk
370 posts

Edited Sep 18, 2009, 01:38
Re: Books of possible interest
Sep 18, 2009, 01:08
It's a curious one. Do you know of any traditons of a footprint on stone where, if you were to look at it, it would seem to be just a natural scoop or depression?

Near here there's a standing stone in the townland of Tullig, described in the inventory as having a "depression on top (of stone) locally said to be footprint." An ovoid groove (or uamh, you might say (ha, ha)) , on examination.

This other, in Maulatanvally, is slightly more foot-shaped but would have been on the flat (vertical) face of the stone, when it was standing. Interesting, to hark back to the white cow thread, that it's accompanied by three quartz (standing? well two are anyway) stones.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/65344.jpg
gjrk
370 posts

Sep 18, 2009, 01:12
StoneGloves wrote:
One foot in the grave?

If nothing else, the house had a couple of feet of attic insulation.

:)
Branwen
824 posts

Sep 18, 2009, 14:07
StoneGloves wrote:
I was behind a guy in Nettos this morning, he had two bags of peat compost and a tray of hybrid African violets - all on offer - I squeezed his bags to check it was peat and remembered the peatcutters. There is peat still cut in North Cumbria, near Brampton, and I know the other side of that seam. All I've found in it is bog oak - plenty of it, mind - in a seam. All the bits have the marks of stone axes - I'd love for someone to dendrochronologise it. VEBA, probably.

One foot in the grave?

I make charms and jewellery out of bog oak and jet, it's very easy to carve. Prefer the jet though. I quite like to copy the little jet bears found in bronze age graves, or the bead necklaces. That primitive art fascinates me.
Branwen
824 posts

Sep 18, 2009, 14:14
LMAO. And here was me resisting the footloose celt jokes.

StoneGloves wrote:
I was behind a guy in Nettos this morning, he had two bags of peat compost and a tray of hybrid African violets - all on offer - I squeezed his bags to check it was peat and remembered the peatcutters. There is peat still cut in North Cumbria, near Brampton, and I know the other side of that seam. All I've found in it is bog oak - plenty of it, mind - in a seam. All the bits have the marks of stone axes - I'd love for someone to dendrochronologise it. VEBA, probably. One foot in the grave?

I make charms and jewellery out of bog oak and jet, it's very easy to carve. Prefer the jet though. I quite like to copy the little jet bears found in bronze age graves, or the bead necklaces. That primitive art fascinates me.

gjrk wrote:
It's a curious one. Do you know of any traditons of a footprint on stone where, if you were to look at it, it would seem to be just a natural scoop or depression?

I saw one on the TMA site looking at wells near me. Druids Well in Fife looks like a natural depression, I think.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 18, 2009, 21:27
Re: Antiquities of West Cornwall
Sep 18, 2009, 21:25
I have thesweetcheat to thank for this:

I had prepared myself to be disappointed but yesterday the three guides for sites in West Cornwall turned up and surpassed expectations

Antiquities of West Cornwall and how to get there without a car

Guide One – The Men-an-Tol holed stone
Guide Two – Merry Maidens Stone Circle
Guide Three – Carn Euny Village & Fogou

All beautifully produced and illustrated – obtainable from:
Men-an-Tol Studio
Busullow, Penzance
TR20 8NR
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Sep 19, 2009, 00:28
Sep 19, 2009, 00:06
Ronald Hutton... racy and accessible??? Are you sure??

Accessible certainly - 'racy' open to interpretation.

I walked into a Devizes pub a few years back and Ronald Hutton was sitting there in a corner. We didn't know each other from Adam but he nodded and I joined him for a pint - a nicer fella you'd never hope to meet, and his knowledge of many of the things we're interested in here second to none. Good then to report that Barbara Follett, Minister for Culture, announced recently that he's been appointed a Commissioner of English Heritage - http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.16873

At last, someone who has the sense, knowledge and insight to advise English Heritage on the proper conservation and promotion of our heritage!
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 23, 2009, 09:19
I missed this reply - thanks. I'm interested by that art too. There was more time to carve in those days perhaps!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Diary of a Dean: John Merewether
Sep 27, 2009, 11:03
Wiltshire Heritage Museum’s Book of the Month - http://www.wiltshireheritage.org.uk/library/ is -

Diary of a Dean

Being an account of the
EXAMINATION OF SILBURY HILL
and of
VARIOUS BARROWS AND OTHER EARTHWORKS ON THE DOWNS OF NORTH WILTS

Opened and Investigated in the Months of July & August 1849

By Dean John Merewether

With illustrations

An online edition of the book is here - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ILcHAAAAQAAJ&dq=silbury%20hill%20merewether&pg=PA3&output=embed
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: Books - County Archaeologies
Sep 28, 2009, 21:03
Just got back from London and after much time spent in a couple of second hand shops on Charing Cross Road picked up two books from this 1930s series for not much money (£8 and £10 respectively).

I have had the Yorkshire volume for many years, now got the Berkshire and London/Middlesex ones. Obviously they're more historical interest now than accurate reference books, but they're nicely bound in navy cloth with gilt titles, each have a good gazatteer (up to Saxon period) - worth looking out for as nice things to have anyway.

Interestingly the Berkshire one includes Uffington and Wayland's Smithy, now both in Oxfordshire.

(I also picked up Burl's Brittany book and a great big hardback edition of John Aubrey's "Monumenta Britannica" from the early 1980s).
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Books - County Archaeologies
Sep 28, 2009, 23:15
(I also picked up Burl's Brittany book and a great big hardback edition of John Aubrey's "Monumenta Britannica" from the early 1980s).

Blimey, that's got to be the understatement of the year Mr t ;-) I'm coming with you next time :-)
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index