tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Prehistoric Geometry in Britain: Tom Brooks
Sep 14, 2009, 22:20
tiompan wrote:
moss wrote:
'Dunno where to start . Does anybody actually accept any of this ?'

Well you could work outwards from Silbury Hill, making isocles triangles up as you go - sadly I never got the hang of geometry...there's Marlborough mound and the other one, almost really a bit like pyramid building, which are'nt isocles shaped because they have four sides... I like Silbury as a gnomon best, a large post on top telling the time of day...

Basically it's finding sites equidistant from another site .In one case Silbury was the primary site . It is very easy to find two sites that are equidistant from Silbury particularly when you have a 100 metres to play with and the target could be 445 m x 170. There is litle more than doing this a couple of times using different primary sites . You would expect to these results easily by chance and he has missed more than he has recorded . Most of the sites are not intervisble which doesn't seem to be a problem. Rather go on i think it's easier to say that the same book could be written a hundredfold without repeating any of these examples and it would still be nonsense .

That criticism is based on the small amount of evidence available from the mail piece , I would imagine the book would provide even more cause for complaint .
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 05, 2010, 20:05
Re: Books of possible interest - druids
Sep 14, 2009, 23:54
Littlestone wrote:
Ronald Hutton's latest book, The Druids, "...is the first comprehensive study of what people have thought about the ancient Druids and why. Written in a racy and accessible style,

Ronald Hutton... racy and accessible??? Are you sure??

Must have been sick of the dry and hard going label.

His books are always well researched though, good source books.

moss wrote:
He's a very good writer, saw him at a lecture last year pulling apart the goddess theory; a gentle man is how I would describe him fascinated by his subject. Had some problem with giving the lecture, getting over a brain tumour I think he said, but he said he could'nt hear very well because of it. Which is completely off the subject but Stuart Piggott also wrote a good book entitled "the Druids" 1968 I think which gets back to the subject...

I like Piggott's book, also T D Kendrick's book, no nonsense scholarly works.

coldrumhead wrote:
I'll look out for this.I am currently reading ''Druids:preachers of immortality'' by Anne Ross.

I really like Anne Ross, she's been featuring on the TV program Pagans and Na Ceiltich recently. The book people like least of hers is one I really like, just because she isn't afraid the theorise "Life and Death of a Druid Prince".

Littlestone wrote:
Scarre also reveals new theories concerning Stonehenge, where the surface shaping of some of the stones may have replicated the bark of oak and beech.

Now that really would be of interest to Druids... justifying why people that base their religion on those that orginally worshipped in groves of trees are so obsessed with worshipping in circles of stone....

Authors on Druids I love to hate ... Douglas Munroe.... yeauch
cerrig
187 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Sep 15, 2009, 01:18
How about a book about the blueprint for the world energy grid , preserved in mostly man made structures,and hidden in a secret location in wales.
The grid,or pattern , is the basis for the siting of all the megalithic structures, and the key to the different forms of monuments that are found.
Due to a chance discovery(rediscovery would be more accurate) this ancient knowledge has come to light once again.

Would this be a book of possible interest.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 15, 2009, 08:41
I've never read about the Druids. My impressions of them are very direct and come from rediscovering lost ancient monuments. So I don't know what the Goddess Theory is. (I can guess). I do have some supporting evidence for the goddess - a stone which is near me - and feel a letter coming on. Neil Young also had a brain tumour removed - he's just got worse ...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Sep 15, 2009, 10:18
Well here is another article on the subject of isoceles - Prehistoric man 'used crude sat-nav' .......
"Prehistoric man navigated his way across England using a crude version of sat nav based on stone circle markers, historians have claimed. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6189320/Prehistoric-man-used-crude-sat-nav.html
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jan 05, 2010, 20:06
Pagan Britain - Anne Ross
Sep 15, 2009, 11:42
'I really like Anne Ross, she's been featuring on the TV program Pagans and Na Ceiltich recently. The book people like least of hers is one I really like, just because she isn't afraid the theorise "Life and Death of a Druid Prince".'

Her book on Pagan Britain is a classic, but there was a counter argument against the 'three death' end of the Lindow Man in the above book, it was said that the cut to the neck could easily have been inflicted by the peat cutter. Think she wrapped up the theory with the fact that the gold torque he wore could also represent a rope; they are often 'woven' in strands of three. It was interesting, given that the other author was a police pathologist. The best person I've read on the bog people was Seamus Heaney's poems on them and he took them from Glob's Scandinavian bog discoveries.....
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 15, 2009, 12:24
(You wouldn't catch me reading The Telegraph). It seems that the work of Glob has been under-represented, probably because he's foreign.
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2009, 15:57
Sep 15, 2009, 15:55
moss wrote:

Her book on Pagan Britain is a classic, but there was a counter argument against the 'three death' end of the Lindow Man in the above book, it was said that the cut to the neck could easily have been inflicted by the peat cutter. Think she wrapped up the theory with the fact that the gold torque he wore could also represent a rope; they are often 'woven' in strands of three. It was interesting, given that the other author was a police pathologist. The best person I've read on the bog people was Seamus Heaney's poems on them and he took them from Glob's Scandinavian bog discoveries.....

I don't agree with Anne Ross on many things, I just found this book to be immensely readable. In the case of that bog body the cut could have been accidental, I suppose. Haven't there been other "triple death" corpses though?

I don't think the triple death was some kind of honour, I personally think the triple death was dealt someone who had committed terrible crimes, so even their soul would not be able to return. Tacitus describes this kind of death, as a punishment for incest and other unspecified crimes. We have bog bodies which resemble his description, so in this instance, I feel fairly secure in thinking Tacitus gave a true account. Then again, in the Irish Annals, there are accounts of one who commits crimes against the will of the gods as being forsaken to a triple death, which Fate then provides in a "Final Destination" perversity of circumstances. One fella, Muirchertach mac Erca, is wounded in battle so he is abed when a fire traps him in the house then finally drowns in a vat of wine when he tries to escape the flames, for instance.

Myrddin Wyllt phrophesied his own ending, killed by the triple death. The single death being one a magician could recover from. Celtic tales are littered with the theme enough for me to think it wasn't an honour and your soul didn't get to any afterlife, making it useless as a sacrifice, for the sacrificed couldnt take any messages to the gods.
gjrk
370 posts

Sep 15, 2009, 23:47
Speaking of bb's...

There's an interesting article in this quarter's Archaeology Ireland about what may be two 'bog feet'. Found, believe it or not, in an attic while doing up a house late last year.

An adult foot dated to AD 52 - AD 230 and a child's foot at 60 BC - 52 AD (both calibrated, two sigma variation). National Museum is investigating. Bizarre.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Edited Sep 16, 2009, 10:50
Re: Prehistoric Geometry in Britain: Tom Brooks
Sep 16, 2009, 10:46
It's hardly a new subject, Ray Seaton puts forward a similar idea in his 1995 book 'The Reason for the Stone Circles in Cumbria' he allied prehistoric triangulation surveying with stone circles & mineral prospecting.
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index