Books of possible interest

Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Sep 16, 2009, 19:19
Just out of curiosity - what other body parts are known in Rock Art, and what are their relative proportions. Feet are the most common - what's next - hands ?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 16, 2009, 19:26
StoneGloves wrote:
Just out of curiosity - what other body parts are known in Rock Art, and what are their relative proportions. Feet are the most common - what's next - hands ?

As far as being disemodied goes yep , feet and hands .Little problem with recognising them too .Heads are a often suggested but not nearly as clear and more contentious . There must be the equivelant of the photocopier arse somewher but maybe it just hasn't been recognised . Children did some Aussie stuff (not schoolkids Oz for those that can remember ) so you might imagine there wouild be some humorous stuff .
gjrk
370 posts

Sep 16, 2009, 19:50
Ah. The Irish Times has an emerging theory; a professional who may have gathered some parts...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0914/1224254476530.html

;)
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 16, 2009, 22:29
I bought the schoolkids OZ - from the newsagent's kiosk opposite The Trotters, in Bolton. What about an estimate of how many feet and hands are known? Are they paired or just single specimens? I know about the aboriginal early use of aerosol ochre to preserve handprints - this goes way back to the earliest days of cave art.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 16, 2009, 23:10
StoneGloves wrote:
I bought the schoolkids OZ - from the newsagent's kiosk opposite The Trotters, in Bolton. What about an estimate of how many feet and hands are known? Are they paired or just single specimens? I know about the aboriginal early use of aerosol ochre to preserve handprints - this goes way back to the earliest days of cave art.

Feet are found on cist slabs from pool Farm , ,Alwinton and Calderstones .There are a few stones with footprints that are not considereded part of typical RA e.g. Dunadd .Cochno boulder has feet .Scandanavia has a lot more than here .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2009, 00:36
Sep 17, 2009, 00:03
gjrk wrote:
Ah. The Irish Times has an emerging theory; a professional who may have gathered some parts...

;)

I met an Irish cousin for the first time earlier this year. I asked him what he did for a living, expecting him to say he worked in a bank or something like that. He was in fact a peat-cutter in West Meath (as well as running the family farm). Curtesy stopped me quizzing him too much but I did get the impression that 'finds' turn up from time to time - I wonder why someone would want to keep a foot. No accounting for taste.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 17, 2009, 08:12
Thanks - I must visit the Calderstones. All seem connected with graves. The Scandinavian stuff is completely different, another school would be one way of putting it. I wonder what the thing about feet is.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Prehistoric Geometry in Britain: Tom Brooks
Sep 17, 2009, 08:31
nigelswift wrote:
OMG!
But do we know the legs were removed before they died, not after?
And why the right one?

You can only process around a henge clockwise: removing the right leg makes them turn right when the try to move.
Branwen
824 posts

Sep 17, 2009, 12:21
tjj wrote:
gjrk wrote:

;)

I met an Irish cousin for the first time earlier this year. I asked him what he did for a living, expecting him to say he worked in a bank or something like that. He was in fact a peat-cutter in West Meath (as well as running the family farm). Curtesy stopped me quizzing him too much but I did get the impression that 'finds' turn up from time to time - I wonder why someone would want to keep a foot. No accounting for taste.

I think Anne Ross and others quizzed irish peat cutters, as far as they were able, and were told basically that it happens more frequently than anyone knows but what you find in the peat stays in the peat, or at least, such used to be the case. Saw a programme about a couple of irish bog bodies from a couple of years ago that was really interesting, they used all sorts of methods to get information about who they were.

I often get asked about the real stone of destiny on tours, when we talk about the fake one. The feet carved in stones usually comes up at that point, with regards to the celtic kings coronation rituals.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 17, 2009, 14:49
I was behind a guy in Nettos this morning, he had two bags of peat compost and a tray of hybrid African violets - all on offer - I squeezed his bags to check it was peat and remembered the peatcutters. There is peat still cut in North Cumbria, near Brampton, and I know the other side of that seam. All I've found in it is bog oak - plenty of it, mind - in a seam. All the bits have the marks of stone axes - I'd love for someone to dendrochronologise it. VEBA, probably.

One foot in the grave?
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index