Monu-Mental About Prehistoric Dublin

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: bit of controversy
Nov 04, 2006, 12:25
I meant to add that the Irish use the word bold to say someone's naughty. So again there's another example of using a word that can mean strong/brave in a negative way. When someone says, "he was really bold", it doesn't mean he was brave.
postman
848 posts

Re: bit of controversy
Nov 04, 2006, 12:30
FourWinds wrote:
postman wrote:
[quote="FourWinds"]I thought feck was a swearword too (but then I once thought a Punt was a pound with an Irish Accent) so what does it mean if not what it looks like .P.S like the new picture

No. It has the same roots as 'feckless' meaning weak. Feck means strong or firm. It's just handily interchangable with fuck and Father Ted made it popular. It was originally just a way of not saying fuck in a Catholic country. It's as inoffensive as flipping or flamin' really. The offense is all in the ear of the hearer. It's a bit like smeg in Red Dwarf, although that does have rather unpleasant roots.

There's a place just north of Dublin called Termonfeckin, which makes me giggle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feck

Your cool you are! I guess this is why your'e an author and i'm not
wolfnighthunter
wolfnighthunter
588 posts

Re: Monu-Mental About Prehistoric Dublin
Nov 05, 2006, 17:22
Nice one Tom,

I might just need to get a copy, and i must remember to buy from the author..

good stuff..

wolfy
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 05, 2006, 18:21
wolfnighthunter wrote:
I might just need to get a copy, and i must remember to buy from the author..

Well, if you can wonder down to your local bookstore and buy it from them I'm sure they'd appreciate your support, too :-)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 05, 2006, 18:25
Well done Mr! I hope you're very proud! Many congrats on a top achievement!

Nice one!
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

It's here! First impressions..
Nov 06, 2006, 18:44
Hooray! A large brown padded envelope on the mat when I got home from work.

Wasn't expecting the book at all for another few days, Dublin post being so bad and all, so this was a pleasant surprise.

First impressions are of a top class production, cover is clean and no-nonsense and the book is reassuringly thick yet portable (the wider pages make it more reader friendly than Cary Meehans book IMO), flicking through it quickly reveals a fantastic towering pic of the 'The Brehons Chair', and Ballybrack dolmen somehow 'looming' in front of you, how great is it to have these places in print and accessibile at your fingertips!

The first 65 pages are introduction and discussion! This is not merely a collection of pages from megalithomania.com, though even if it were a stack of pdf's in a ring binder it would still be essential, save your printer ink and just buy the book. Instead of a terse glossary there's a full overview of each monument type and a discussion of their relationship to each other, their chronology and the landscape context. There's a wealth of clear diagrams, plans and old sketches, wonderful! One of the best features of Megalithomania.com is the list of nearby sites and this carries over to the book so you wont arrive home and discover there was a fantastic chambered tomb two fields down from where you were. The directions (for all sites) are in clear english, not like the directions of other books that are like badly translated morse code.

There are poorly written, printed and illustrated guide books out there but this ain't one of them, there's more meat on the bones than Burl's pocket guide to stone circles so as well as getting you out there you'll also have something to keep you entertained when the rain beats you back to the car also :)

The only niggle would be a larger font for 'Dublin' on the spine so I'll be able to pick it out from the row of red guides that will form on my bookshelf :)

This is a great job Tom, take a bow ;)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Re: It's here! First impressions..
Nov 06, 2006, 19:31
I bet it's rubbish really, isn't it?

Is Tom there? Holding a gun at your head?
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 19:44
Of course he doesn't have a gun to my head, think Angus Young and a misfortunate collision with a six string :) No, it really is good, I haven't come across a site yet that doesn't have a great description and photograph. Though it will mean getting more books as the collection grows its better than the frustratingly short discriptions and infrequent photos of my other field bibles. I was expecting a gazetteer with a few pages of introductions, you get a lot more for your money here :)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 20:53
It's great that you picked up on so many of the things I strived to achieve. I wrote this book to be the book I always wanted to have on my travels, hence the directions, photos, grid refs and good info on all the sites.

I only hope the directions are right ... I have a habit of mixing left with right every now and then :-)

I'm deeply flattered by your comments. Many thanks
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 06, 2006, 20:57
CianMcLiam wrote:
... a top class production ... more meat on the bones than Burl's pocket guide to stone circles

Can I use that alongside your name and a link to your site?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index