Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

You are joking sire?
Sep 06, 2006, 12:47
King Amdo wrote:

"...just to add (and this may seem harsh to locals)...if the Temple and ancestors were to be properly honoures (and thus the magic/goddess), the following should be enacted:

Clear all habitation/buildings/roads/artificial lighting etc etc etc from sight/near distance of the Temple complex. The area to be grazed by sheep."

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/50723

With all due respect, this is nuts! I can't figure out if you're trolling, or if you think Neolithic Callanish was a giant sheep paddock.

K x
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Re: You are joking sire?
Sep 06, 2006, 13:01
Would keep the grass down though! From my experience though sheep are a fairly innocuous bunch, they only look picturesque from at least 100 yards though...
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 13:06
Can I just suggest something? The best way to educate people isn't usually to start posts insulting them - however justified the insult might be. To be honest, I'm starting to find the sneering tone that sometimes appears on this forum a bit off-putting. It's getting decidedly cliquey, which is a shame.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 13:30
"Clear all habitation/buildings/roads/artificial lighting etc etc etc from sight/near distance of the Temple complex. The area to be grazed by sheep."
Sounds a bit like what they would like to be doing at stonehenge?

(And Doktoratomik, isn't your post a bit of a paradox? I think your words are harsher than Kammer's??!)
whatisthat
255 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 13:31
I don't see an insult. Surely people can express their point of view forcefully as along as they are civil?
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 13:35
He basically called him nuts and/or a troll. What's civil about that? I'm sure it wasn't intended to be rude, but think how you'd feel if you were on the receiving end of such a comment. Would you feel inclined to respond in a civil fashion.... or indeed come back to the site at all? Why ridicule a person's view when you can explain their error to them pleasantly?
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 13:37
Rhiannon wrote:
(And Doktoratomik, isn't your post a bit of a paradox? I think your words are harsher than Kammer's??!)

Possibly. It always saddens me to see people ridicule each other, so apologies if my tone is a bit harsh. But I have noticed these boards becoming a little cliquey over the last couple of years, and it's a bit depressing.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 13:39
doktoratomik wrote:
Can I just suggest something? The best way to educate people isn't usually to start posts insulting them - however justified the insult might be.

I take your point Dok, but I don't think clearing a community for the sake of outsiders is a very friendly suggestion either. The local people at Callanish already have to endure some pretty strange visitors, and I personally feel that some sensitivity towards their community is a good idea. They tolerate us lot, so we should at the very least do the same in return.

I really don't want to put anyone off posting on this forum, but at the same time there's a lot of scope for us to debate this kind of thing. Let's debate...
whatisthat
255 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 13:51
C'mon, that's mild.

Anyway, this is second guessing. If King Amdo feels aggrieved by Kammer's response, let him speak for himself.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 13:53
I don't want to be argumentative but I really don't think it is that cliquey here? There aren't constant matey references to what happened down the pub and the topics are generally about prehistoric things. Anyone can disagree with anyone and frequently they do. The only thing that gets a lot of people's backs up is -you know, the I'm-right-you're-wrong-I'mnotlisteninglalala lizard energy related stuff. And that's because of the immense amount of energy that's gone into futile threads 'discussing' it which have turned into slanging matches. Maybe that makes people suspicious of 'alternative' ideas. I don't think there are obvious cliques of people who always side with each other, although I suppose there are clearly different groups of people who are into similar things eg photography, rock art, folklore, activism etc. but I don't think in a cliquey way. Maybe I'm like a fish and I can't see the water, but I thought everyone was quite open. Anyway I'm sorry you feel like that.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index