You are joking sire?
This topic is locked

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
whatisthat
255 posts

Mystical, Academic or Aesthetic
Sep 06, 2006, 18:01
I think TMA should focus on monuments and their history which I suppose means academic and aesthetic. The mystical stuff seems to be focused on self and (modern) personal beliefs. IMO the two sides are incompatible.

Please keep TMA history focused. There are plenty of other places where new religions can be discussed. Like the other place. I won't type the name as I have found that brings on a Little Britain sick lady 8-(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Good debate doktoratomik, top TMA member :-)]
whatisthat
255 posts

Re: You are joking sire?
Sep 06, 2006, 18:12
> Look, you sad little past-his-sell-by-date attention-seeking little creep, ... [insert your point of view here]

No that is what I call rude!

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=35689&message=438007
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Re: Mystical, Academic or Aesthetic
Sep 06, 2006, 18:13
whatisthat wrote:
I think TMA should focus on monuments and their history which I suppose means academic and aesthetic. The mystical stuff seems to be focused on self and (modern) personal beliefs. IMO the two sides are incompatible.

I disagree. They're incompatible at their extremes, but there are areas in the middle where the two can meet. For example, the belief that megaliths are sited according to some form of "earth energy" does not have to be incompatible with archaeology... unless you wander into the territory of druids floating blue stones around on anti-gravity energy cushions or such like :D

I have no view on the subject, to be honest. I have no idea whether there's mysterious energy pulsing through the land, or whether we live in a cold, mechanistic universe. I've pretty much given up trying to work it out and simply enjoy the landscape of my country for what it is and how it feels. I just don't like the utterly dismissive tone that's sometimes adopted towards anyone who doesn't hold a strictly mystical-free view of all things megalithic. I mean why, FFS, shouldn't we take alternative views seriously, so long as they're not utterly outlandish and at odds with known history and physics? I don't see why everyone should be tarred with the same brush as the-poster-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 18:16
Oh, and one other thing.... I think TMA really needs, collectively, to decide where it stands on this issue. I always felt it was a fairly eclectic and inclusive site. If it's actually a matter of policy - stated or unstated - that unconventional views aren't welcome here, then I'd really like to know. Coz that's not the kinda site that I really want to post on. I think this attitude risks alienating people like me who don't believe in alien lizards, but who remain open minded to less extreme alternative views of life.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 18:27
doktoratomik wrote:
I mean why, FFS, shouldn't we take alternative views seriously, so long as they're not utterly outlandish and at odds with known history and physics?

Who decides what defines ''utterly outlandish"?
whatisthat
255 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 18:30
doktoratomik wrote:
Coz that's not the kinda site that I really want to post on ...

Stick around. Just do the "alternative views of life" elsewhere. This is possible approach that may result in maximum enjoyment!
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 18:33
I wouldn't have thought the problem is what people believe or dont believe, its about how some peope observe the normal courtesies and their attitude. Being narrow-minded is an unwillingness to doubt your own beliefs or to be open to rational scrutiny of methods and observations. When you wont even try to rationalise ideas in your own head your not going to have much luck on any forum, on the internet or otherwise. Thats what I think is the root of the trouble with some of the ideas presented here, its not the message its how its how its being delivered by the few, same old story of the hard liners leaving no room for moderates....
whatisthat
255 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 18:38
FourWinds wrote:

Who decides what defines ''utterly outlandish"?

Difficult. We need a 'fruitcake' meter.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 18:38
I would say that anyone could raise any point they wanted to. If it's done in a 'proper manner'* then either debate, silence or much tittering will follow.

*Please don't ask me to define that, but I think most of us know what it means.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 18:50
We need a 'fruitcake' meter.

There are many available. Google for Crackpot Index.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index