Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: You are joking sire?
Sep 06, 2006, 14:59
doktoratomik wrote:
But straight away that's quite confrontational. Why respond like that to what was meant simply as a positive suggestion?

You say 'confrontational', I say 'saying it as I see it'.

I obviously went to the Geoffrey Boycott school of replying.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 15:02
FourWinds wrote:
doktoratomik wrote:
But straight away that's quite confrontational. Why respond like that to what was meant simply as a positive suggestion?

You say 'confrontational', I say 'saying it as I see it'.

I obviously went to the Geoffrey Boycott school of replying.

Too obscure for someone with a serious disinterest in sports. Either way, I just think it's a good idea to approach these things with a little tact. As soon as backs are up, people stop listening to each other and conversations get stuck in the mud.
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 15:37
If I may throw my hat in? I agree with Rhiannon in that I think if there was different sub-sections it would get more cliquey. It only could. You'd have the scholars in one corner, the mystics, the ramblers, the artists, all in different boxes.

Part of the reason I love reading the threads is the diverse range of people contributing to the same subject. I think it's healthy and it's good to get a different perspective, even if you don't agree with it. And I do get entertained by some of the debate too. As Rhiannon says, Go for it!

I too love the folklore side of things but often read some of the more scholarly debates, tentatively contributing now and then. I must say, and I don't want to sound controversial, but I used to love some of Cropredy's postings and the arguments that he generated. At least it was colourful!!

As long as it doesn't get too subversive and turn into into trolling, insults and slanging, I think it's all good!

Cheers
JS.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 15:40
jacksprat wrote:
If I may throw my hat in? I agree with Rhiannon in that I think if there was different sub-sections it would get more cliquey. It only could.

But in fairness, that's not how it usually works on other forums. People tend to take their specific interests to the sub-forum that suits, then come together in other forum areas where more general issues are discussed.
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 15:53
jacksprat wrote:
I must say, and I don't want to sound controversial, but I used to love some of Cropredy's postings and the arguments that he generated. At least it was colourful!!

As long as it doesn't get too subversive and turn into into trolling, insults and slanging, I think it's all good!

Cheers
JS.

JS, pop over to the portals forums & you can still read Cropers in all his glory. Unfortunately, he's not managed to top 'moles in spirals of plasma' over there yet, but somethings brewing :-)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 15:54
Yeah I totally agree. We should be broadening our minds not narrowing them in.
It was nice to see your romantic weblog by the way JS - congratulations.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 15:56
Rhiannon wrote:
Yeah I totally agree. We should be broadening our minds not narrowing them in.

And if it worked like that in practice, I'd agree with you. ;)
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 16:06
I think the fact that there aren't sub forums is what makes this one great. You can't miss anything coz it's all here.
I think what an sometimes winds people up is not unusual theories or threads of a more mystical bent, but uninformed and close-minded posts. As has been mentioned, the 'I'm right and you're all wrong' school of thought.
One thing I see constantly on other forums (not necessarily megalithic) is a vastly inferior command of language, articulation etc. In many ways this forum acts more like a correspondance club than a forum, albeit somewhat accelerated.
I would much rather this than a fragmented maze of sub-forums (and worse, far too many one line answers and enourmouse and irrelevent html-linked pictures n 2 mch typin lk ths...).
I think most people who post here are prepared to read and respond in a civilized way to most opinions and ideas, provided the poster has some research or other knowledge or decent theory to hold the ideas together.

Not a big fan of lizards though....
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 16:21
So thats a definite 'no' to the sheep then? They'll be gutted.
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Sep 06, 2006, 16:25
A case in point, when things do go too far, would seem to be the 'Oh no Not again' thread, which seems to have descended into bullying toward Jimit.

Ken - I think the sheep are on a loser. :o)
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index