Ritual

Pages: 24 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

name drop
Jan 09, 2006, 13:40
I think you and I were sitting in the same row at Newcastle Uni when Parker Pearson presented his work on the Mummies of Cladh Hallan a couple of years back.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Ritual
Jan 09, 2006, 14:18
Good question. No, I don't know why or how it became ritual. It certainly puts me in a good, positive frame of mind.

Oddly I actually became a little bored with the whole thing just after I stopped doing it. I've since restarted and it's worked its magic for the last few weeks.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 14:21
>> No - of course it doesn't matter.

Can I have that in writing? Oh ...

>> It is a badge to distinguish the insider from the outsider

Don't agree with that. If that is the case it's only done to annoy those it annoys

>> and is a ritual observance

Maybe it is now

>> - presumable because Mr Cope spells the words that way in the Great Book.

Was he the first to do so? Methinks not. The replacement of Christ with X is very old and harks back to Chi-Rho crosses etc
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 14:37
FW - wouldn't that be a routine, same as Jane:

'I don't think ritual (or habit) has anything (necessarily) to do with religion. I like my getting-up-in-the-morning rituals, but that doesn't make me religious or even vaguely spiritual.'

Wouldn't this be a routine, a familiar bahavioural pattern or action repeated out of habit, as opposed to a ritual?

Jane mentioned C4's 'The root of all evil'. I think it would make good viewing. I personally think that we would have much more understanding of the ancient world had the catholics not wiped out most of any other religion's writings up to about 300 years ago. Look what they did to the Aztecs for example. Or is that too militant to say?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 14:42
"That's a riutal with no particular spiritual meaning."

Don't it lift yer spirits, old boy?

C'mon! ;-)

I believe music to be innately spiritual so I would argue that one. To what end I don't know, so maybe I won't after all!

Ride on, sirrah.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 16:14
>> FW - wouldn't that be a routine

In some people's eyes I suppose it would, but there is an element of doing it 'just so' if you know what I mean.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 16:15
>> Don't it lift yer spirits, old boy?

>> C'mon! ;-)

You can claim your £10 !!! Yes it does, so I suppose it is spiritual (but not religious). I stand corrected.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 16:18
>> and the all-important point does indeed need to be made that tribes differ from one village to the next.
>> Across the world, even moreso.

A good statistician could argue with you for ages on that point. Taking a small sample will (nearly) always give a diverse ... well ... diversity. Taking a large group will show a greater convergence of trends.
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 16:20
Now you are being silly. Its done because Jules did it. C'mon be honest - nothing to be ashamed of.
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 16:21
Excellent! Magic does work and we all have our little rituals (or do I mean compulsions?)
Pages: 24 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index