Ritual

Pages: 24 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Ritual
Jan 10, 2006, 09:51
Personally I find him offensive and bigotted. He has a religion ... atheism ... and he preaches it :-)
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jan 10, 2006, 10:03
This is always the problem for atheists. How does one explain one's position as a disbeliever, then?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 10, 2006, 10:11
You can explain your views without preaching. I know it's hard (perhaps impossible) to do that when presenting a TV show - afterall you're there to put a point across on a very subjective subject.

Not being an atheist I can't really offer an answer from my perspective I'm afraid. Wish I could :-(
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Auto Ritual
Jan 10, 2006, 10:16
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4597692.stm
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Jan 10, 2006, 10:35
Here's the cathedral/meditation retreat ( http://www.life.org.uk/ ). I've read and reread his The Selfish Gene many times and am broadly sympathetic but ...

It all subsumes under 'the Church of Mammon'. I asked him a question in The Times once - he didn't really answer it but ...
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: name drop
Jan 10, 2006, 10:49
Probably !
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jan 10, 2006, 10:49
I am in perfect agreement with you. Dawkins was brilliant and brave. So was Channel 4 for screening it before Born-again Blaire bans religious criticism. Who was the scariest - the manic eyed Evangelist or the creepy ex-Hebrew Muslim who will compel western " men to dress their women properly and not as harlots" when they take over the world?

The only inbalance was that he had much more of a pop at Christianity than Islam, but that is perfectly understandable. He doesn't want to join Rushdie in exile.

Such an ongoing tragedy, because we all know many individual Jews, Muslims, atheists, Christians, Hindus etc who are gentle, kind and loving. Their leaders are no different from any other political leaders - they engender hatred by brain washing in order to retain power and privilege. Guess its always been like that.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 10, 2006, 12:00
>I note your Buddhist background. What would you say?<

MU

(a Japanese word important in Zen koan practice). More at -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 10, 2006, 12:04
>Dawkins was brilliant and brave. So was Channel 4 for screening it before Born-again Blaire bans religious criticism.<

Yes, I agree totally with both you and Jane - C4 were indeed brave. BBC Radio 4 are also doing an interesting series on Tuesday mornings called, Who Killed Christianity? (presented by David Starkey).

Dawkins did look a little uncomfortable and 'wound up' at times however, but then considering the fanatics he was interviewing that's understandable. Perhaps his one mistake was taking them on on their own turf rather just listening to them and letting their own nonsense speak for itself (commenting on it later perhaps).

Look forward to the second instalment.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jan 10, 2006, 12:23
And me! No surprises there then... ;o)

G x
Pages: 24 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index