Ritual

Pages: 24 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: Ritual
Jan 09, 2006, 12:10
No - of course it doesn't matter. It is a badge to distinguish the insider from the outsider and is a ritual observance - presumable because Mr Cope spells the words that way in the Great Book.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 12:13
well-said, Jane. I agree with pretty much all of that, although I think that religion and ritual are pretty inseparable. Ritual is a psychological fixative. Sympathetic 'magic'? A resolute-ness 'proved' by devotion/action? If religion were 'free-floating' and without ritual it would be too whimsical to be called 'religion' maybe?

Maybe I need a dose of 'religion' to improve my unbecoming morning ritual of "hugh? Whassat? (dressing gown on inside-out-legs-through-sleeveses) (stagger)...(fart)"

Argh, I love to hate all these discussions about 'ritual' or 'sacred' or 'religion' because they inevitably reduce back down to the impassable jam of semantics.
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 12:19
Do you know why you do it? Is it homage to Holly or to bring you good luck in your search? Sounds like a hunting ritual to me.
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 12:22
I do envy those who have genuine faith and meaning in their lives.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 12:27
"Are we to assume that because Mexican pyramids were used in conjunction with massive human sacrifices, Silbury Hill was also?"

No we must never assume, and the all-important point does indeed need to be made that tribes differ from one village to the next. Across the world, even moreso. As I say, we can only make educated guesses, but there is a 'common' lore amongst ancient tribes, that, although it morphs subtly, it nevertheless encompasses creationism, pantheism and animism. The pillars of the ancients are the same as ours, yet of course venerated in differing ways.

Life.
Food. (spiritual and physical).
Death.
Regeneration(birth)

The constant factor regardless of geography/tribe is the Great Spirit, and the lesser spirits which are all around. I would argue that it is life itself, although it has many names.

It is also arguable that along a time-line, Shaman/medicine man became priest, became vicar, pope, guru, politician even.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 12:47
I think it's a bit insulting to describe Mike Parker Pearson as a "TV archaeo" just because he appeared on the telly. He's a well respected archaeologist who has contributed a great deal to modern archaeology thinking through his fieldwork and writings.
His work with Madagascan archaeologist, Ramilisonina, provides us with an alternative and very credible perspect when viewing the Stonehenge landscape through the eyes of the Tandoy, a living pastoralist culture that still erect tombs and use standing stones and timbers.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 12:53
wow, that certainly extends the argument... would the spirit be female or male I wonder?
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 13:06
If he appears on television - is he not therefore a TV archaeologist? I do not subscribe to the view that television archaeology is of low value or quality. Some maybe.

Mike Parker Pearson is impressive when he keeps away from the easy "ritual" explanation. I do not sneer at him because he appears on the telly, but I did not find his Madagascan view of Stonehenge convincing.

Similarly - his currnt work at Durrington is impressive, but not his interpretation of the"ritual" road to the river and the pick up point to Stonehenge just around the bend.

I mean no insult when I say that I disagree or am unconvinced by an archaeologist holding forth on television, but he is a "TV archaeo" nevertheless. And the ritualising ones give me the pip.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 13:12
Yes, at least he comes up with new stuff (and we shouldn't critcicise him for bovine qualities) ...

In Newcastle the teachers have gone back to school but not the kids. (I wonder if it's sunny in Orkney).
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jan 09, 2006, 13:37
I don't think it needs to be regarded as gender specific, although it might suit a particular culture to give it gender.
Pages: 24 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index