Henge corrals?

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Henge corrals?
Dec 19, 2005, 09:01
>> Can anyone briefly summarise the evidence that proves that ALL henges (of whatever size) were
>> constructed for ritual purpose alone?

No. When all of them have been fully excavated then an answer will be forthcoming. Until then we can only speculate.
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 09:08
Thanks for that. Most interesting and convincing. I guess that is what I'm trying to look at with henge entrances. Will a large sampling reveal a statistical pattern of similar entrance placements?

No reason why others cannot survey their counties via information on Pastscape - It will spread the work load and make the survey much larger and more meaningful. Anyone interested?
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 09:42
Far from it Peter, I was think in terms of British henges in general. There are certain design features that distinguish henges from other monuments.
Why shouldn't henges come in different sizes. Take for example places of worship in the christian era, they vary in size from roadside shrines through to chapels, churches, cathedrals to the Vatican City - a modern city state. The same rules apply for many of the worlds belief systems both ancient and modern.

I asked for one piece of archaeological evidence to back up your assertion that these structures were used as corrals. I don't think this is an unreasonable request after all, there are people on this board who get a lot of stick from making assertions which they cannot back up with any evidence.
cheers
fitz
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 09:44
Pastscape shows 2 in Herts, and 6 in Beds, none in Bucks or Berks...

What info do you need on them specifically?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 10:47
Must admit that I also feel that there is too much emphasis on the religious/ritual nature of henge and other monument sites and not enough on the practical side.
It seems that when people gather together they must also bring other expectations to the meeting, and if they have to travel a great distance other matters would also come to the fore. Trade, in the form of the different objects that come from a wide source, marriage, or its equivalent, did the girl bring some more practical gifts such as animals to her new life. Food came on the hoof, was it ritually slaughtered in the henge itself?
Bradley says that ritual is also part of everyday life, and that what people are expressing at these meetings is a narrative of their lives - their past ancestors are represented, their pottery, animal and human bones are ritually deposited at the entrances to henges or in pits.
And to quote from another source (Mendip report -P.Ellis) "It is more likely that the physical form of the monument reflects a conscious use of symbols. The double circle of closely spaced timbers and intervening hurdles may be a deliberate representation of an animal stockade"
He is talking about the southern circle at Priddy circle/henges, three circles in a straight line, plus another one at an angle - another monument to be speculated upon....
So perhaps henges are mult-functioned in modern terminology, but in prehistoric terms all these happenings were a perfectly natural way of life, interwoven with physical realities and spiritual meaning.
treaclechops
treaclechops
378 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 11:36
Indeed.

And of course, what's to define 'ritual'? I think we may view the rituals of our ancestors heavily influenced by modern ritual in many cases. These places probably aren't quite as esoteric as we might like to think.

I've been looking at all the commercial Christmas stuff on sale this last month, and as ever, marvel at the bizarreness of it all. If the were to be an excavation 4,000 years from now and they dug up one of those grotesque light-up Santas, everyone would say that we worshipped some old red and white man. Hmm, thinking about it, perhaps we do . . .

treaclechops x

PS I recently saw a Christmas ornament of a winged snowman with a halo. WHASSTHATBOUT??!!
Ishmael
683 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 11:42
I remember a few years ago a Japanese department store decided to celibrate Xmas with decorations and a huge Santa nailed to a cross!
;)
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 11:58
Look Fitz - how can I say this any clearer?

I am not making any assertions.

I am NOT saying that henges ARE corrals. I am simply asking why we think that they are for ritual purposes and suggesting that they may not all have the same purpose. I have merely raised the possibiliity that some henges MAY have non ritual use such as stock pens. I concede the point made by FW and Nigel that lack of entrance alignment conformity does not prove non ritual use

At a later date, I shall search the literature and see what support I can muster for opinions on non-ritual useage of henges. Its all too easy to explain away everything that we don't understand by saying "RITUAL"
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 12:06
Thanks Ocifant.

Information on size, but in particular the orientation of entrances. eg "Name, Grid Ref, 2 entrances opposite at NW and SE"
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Dec 19, 2005, 12:11
I'll see what I can dig up. I should have a day free over the next week or two :-)
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index