Re: 'cosy little messageboard clique'
Nov 28, 2005, 16:31
I've never been unjustly rude to you.

G x
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Re: 'cosy little messageboard clique'
Nov 28, 2005, 16:37
Oh, I can't see the use of the word 'unjustly' is deliberate and yet more 'troll-food' - nice one.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Please
Nov 28, 2005, 17:11
>...you have clearly misunderstood the technical reports and then blatently misinterpreted parts of them too.<

Well, you know, I misunderstand and misinterpret things all the time, and when it's pointed out to me I say 'bugger' to myself and I try again to get it right. I don't know if Nigel has misunderstood and misinterpreted the technical reports but I do know that he has campaigned fearlessly for the right solution for Silbury. So has PeteG (though he and Nigel might not agree on what the best solution is :-) and so have many other people on TMA and elsewhere; isn't that what it's all about? Working together to find the right solution?

I swept the last of the maple leaves up from the lawn today A robin came down and perched on an old conifer stump just a foot away, head cocked and completely fearless. I love this time of year, there's a growing stillness about it. Beautiful copper-red sunset as well, and the smell of someone's fire drifting over the Green.

Life's too short for squabbling - you realize that as the years left in the hourglass grow increasingly few...

Love and peace.

Littlestone
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 17:26
"I don't know if Nigel has misunderstood and misinterpreted the technical reports but I do know that he has campaigned fearlessly for the right solution for Silbury."

But he had already decided what that right solution was and that wasn't 'tunnelling', his solution that he campaigned fearlessly for (was someone threatening him?) was grouting; rather than re-filling with chalk.

"....isn't that what it's all about? Working <b>together</b> to find the right solution?"

I agree.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 17:38
I second that, have just been over to Megalithic poems for some peaceful words to gain a perspective on the world - a website for which I am truly grateful.

Today when I took the dog for a walk, I sat and watched the sun come up, so many colours that are beyond explaining, soft gentle mauves, pink, orange and then its harsh brightness. I could see as far as Cherhill Down and the obelisk that adorns it - Silbury Hill lies beyond it. Cley Hill framed between the long fingers of the downs. Penhill on the Mendips its slight rise on the horizon marks the place of the Priddy Henges and all the bronze age burial cemeteries that lie in the landscape, it was a very clear day the horizon a great circle of natural beauty and peace.

So let there be a truce please...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 17:46
Life's too short for squabbling - you realize that as the years left in the hourglass grow increasingly few...

How true.
And yet, in this matter, looked at a different way, not true.
Silbury will last rather longer than the current generation of squabblers and posterity will focus purely on what was done.

I don't think it's controversial to say that whatever's done it will be on the basis of huge gaps in the knowledge of what's being dealt with and what might happen both by design and by accident. Last Saturday, for the first time in five years an expert opinion on what should be done was given, but it was freely acknowledged it was on the basis of those huge gaps in knowledge.

If quarrelling means pushing for the expert opinion to be non-verbal and for as many of the knowledge gaps as possible to be filled and for the public to be fully informed in a way they haven't previously been, then count me a quarreller. Shame there were no quarrellers in Atkinson's time. Use a bigger hourglass Littlestone!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 17:47
Hi Moss...

It was really nice to meet you, albeit briefly, on Saturday!

G x
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 17:47
Beautiful and I do envy you. Tonight when I take the dog for walk it will be past the gasworks, down by the canal and along the railway path. With the hellish glow of Stansted airport and the howling monsters overhead, even the orange street lamps will hide the stars. Time to up anchor and find an affordable, peaceful, stoney place for the last act of the play.

Now just where would the good folks of TMA suggest?
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 17:49
> Now just where would the good folks of TMA suggest?

Cornwall's always been a dream of mine... But now I feel the pull toward teh far North of Scotland! Orkney would suit me down to the ground! Or Lewis... :o)

You can't move for big old rocks and stuff in all those places mentioned...

G x
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Nov 28, 2005, 17:50
I agree too, but have to add without wishing to upset anyone - I never have understood what is meant by "grouting". That's what I do after fixing bathroom tiles. It just seems a bit temporary - don't we want a permanent solution?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index