Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Wiltshire metal detecting meet
Apr 28, 2005, 19:04
From the Gazette & Herald.
( Here's a much better article than the piece posted on the Heritage Action Avebury Journal, which I will no longer be contributing to)
PeteG

AN army of metal detector enthusiasts descended on a field in Wiltshire on Sunday to take part in a charity search for buried treasure.
Armed with their metal detectors, spades and uncontrollable imaginations the assembled horde scattered to all corners of the field in search of treasure.

The charity event, organised by the Wootton Bassett and District Rotary Club, began just after 10am at Hackpen Hill, near Broad Hinton. In the shadow of the white horse, enthusiasts methodically scoured the land with ears pricked waiting for the bleep of their metal detectors.

Mr Leavey said: "We buried 500 tokens in the field about a month ago and each token people found was exchanged for a raffle ticket which went into the prize draw at the end of the day.

"And of course there was a good chance of unearthing other items that we hadn't buried."

By lunchtime the first finds were starting to surface as the empty 175-acre field grudgingly began to release its buried secrets.

Items included a silver Saxon buckle ring, a bronze Roman dolphin-shaped brooch, a 13th century bronze arrow head and a handful of coins of varying ages.

By the end of the hunt 370 of the 500 tokens had been found with more than 30 other items being brought forward for display.

Included amongst them were a Roman denarius, several silver Roman hammered coins, a Saxon worker's livery badge and a partial bronze axe head dating back some 2,500 years.

"We also had a very ornate tenth century Viking cloissome brooch which was quite unusual. That caused a lot of interest," said Mr Leavey.

With more than 400 people attending from across the UK the event was the biggest yet in its eight-year history.

Lorry driver Geoff Kingwell, 63, travelled the six-hour round journey from Plymouth to take part.

"I found a nice George III farthing in pretty good nick so I was pleased with that and there's always the chance that you could stumble across something amazing at any time," he said.

Mr Kingwell has been detecting for 25 years and has dedicated a room in his house as a museum for the items, which include four gold coins.

David Merriman, 53, and his wife Yvonne, 49, of Cheltenham, also took part and found a Victorian pendant on a chain and a medieval dagger hangar belt fixing.

Mr Merriman said: "There are two buzzes really. The first is finding something and the second is finding out what it is.

"You can learn so much from what you find and searching can be very relaxing."

Farmer David White owns the field where the hunt took place and was delighted with the results.

The event raised £4,500 which will be split between the Kalabash Trust, which helps build crèches and classrooms in South Africa, and Sense International.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Wiltshire metal detecting meet
Apr 28, 2005, 19:15
I trust that the finders of:

- the Roman denarius
- several silver Roman hammered coins
- a Saxon worker's livery badge
- a partial bronze axe head dating back some 2,500 years and
- the unusual ornate tenth century Viking cloissome brooch

reported their finds to the Portable Antiquities Scheme.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 19:32
Well they may have done - otherwise they probly wouldn't've wanted it all over the press. And if they did report, then WONDERFUL!!! More power to their elbows.

But statistically, the likelihood is that only 1 find in FIFTEEN is reported by detectorists as a whole.

So if that was a typical cross-section of detectorists at the meet, for each of the items reported and publicised, there's another FIFTEEN equally spectacular or interesting items that have disappeared into the black hole of private collections. Or that're about to make their finders a nice few quid on ebay....

I'll be interested to see how many other people here are as enthusiastic as Pete.

love

Moth
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 19:37
There was a Finds Liason Officer on hand, I think it was Katie Hinds and everything was recorded.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 20:13
"There was a Finds Liason Officer on hand..."

That's good, and entirely a result of my long and hard nagging at them, as she hadn't been invited till I raised concerns. Had I not, then the effect doesn't bear thinking about perhaps.

HA's sole concern with the Rally - as expressed to the detectorists in advance and in our article - was the venue. We thought it was inappropriate and damaging - both to the archaeological record AND to the PAS AND to the hobby itself - which we'd like to see become of net benefit to the community.

Many thoughtful recording detectorists agree it was a bad choice of location - and have said so both publicly and privately both before and after our article.

"everything was recorded"
Hope so. But how will we ever know? Only 1750 detectorists record. Were all those 480 people from that group, or could some have been non-recorders? Too late to worry now, isn't it?

However, the good news is that as a result of our article detectorists are now very loudly demanding that ALL future venues are vetted and that FLOs attend all approved rallies! So it seems, at this early stage, as if we might have done quite a bit of good for our common archaeological record. This can only be described as a hell of a good result I suppose.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 20:53
<i>"Mr Kingwell has been detecting for 25 years and has dedicated a room in his house as a museum for the items, which include four gold coins."</i>

It was my understanding that gold and other precious metals are defined as treasure trove and must be declared to the coroner.

I sincerely hope that Mr Kingwell reported these gold coins, and was subsequently advised that he could keep them as his own property, otherwise he's just admitted to a criminal act...
venicone
31 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 22:08
HI ocifant

Thats not quite what the Treasure Act states - see below

The following finds are Treasure under the Act, if found after 24 September 1997 (or, in the case of category 2, if found after 1 January 2003):

1. Any metallic object, other than a coin, provided that at least 10 per cent by weight of metal is precious metal (that is, gold or silver) and that it is at least 300 years old when found. If the object is of prehistoric date it will be Treasure provided any part of it is precious metal.

2. Any group of two or more metallic objects of any composition of prehistoric date that come from the same find (see below)

3. All coins from the same find provided they are at least 300 years old when found (but if the coins contain less than 10 per cent of gold or silver there must be at least ten of them). Only the following groups of coins will normally be regarded as coming from the same find: (a) hoards that have been deliberately hidden, (b) smaller groups of coins, such as the contents of purses, that may been dropped or lost, and (c) votive or ritual deposits.

4. Any object, whatever it is made of, that is found in the same place as, or had previously been together with, another object that is Treasure.

5. Any object that would previously have been treasure trove, but does not fall within the specific categories given above. Only objects that are less than 300 years old, that are made substantially of gold or silver, that have been deliberately hidden with the intention of recovery and whose owners or heirs are unknown will come into this category. Note: An object or coin is part of the 'same find' as another object or coin if it is found in the same place as, or had previously been together with, the other object. Finds may have become scattered since they were originally deposited in the ground.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 22:24
Sorry, but that's nit-picking. If it's not reported, its stealing information from our heritage. End of.
venicone
31 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 22:26
I agree completely !!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 22:37
Co, I'm beginning to think if a butterfly had flapped, I'd be a recording detectorist and you'd be a nerd!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index