here you go

http://www.ourpasthistory.com/flora_scotland/f9.jpg
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Wiltshire metal detecting meet
Apr 28, 2005, 22:40
>I'd be a recording detectorist

Nigel! You're not admitting to supressed desire to detect are you?

;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 22:53
Which reminds me, one of the plants that EH want to encourage on Silbury is the foodplant of the Chalk Hill Blue.... ambitions to return to the old days maybe?

Trouble is, the British Chalk Hill Blues are extinct, kaput, no more - all they'll get there is some damn Dutch introduced ones what aren't the same as what used to be there.

So the buggers even cock up Silbury's butterflies... ;)
venicone
31 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 22:58
that one was photgraphed in Falkirk

heres another of the same beastie

http://www.ourpasthistory.com/flora_scotland/f8.jpg
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 28, 2005, 22:59
I have a little dinky hand held one, issued by my employers. So weak it only detects things that are visible on the surface though :(

You can buy ones that are built into your shoe - how cool and would that be?!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 29, 2005, 09:34
400 people attended and a funds officer "hadn't been invited till I raised concerns".
Well that obviously says something about attitudes generally does it not. I admire you Nigel for the effort you're putting in to wake people up / stir consciences.

Interesting to see that despite having so many people plodding across the fields they only found 370 of the 500 tokens that had been deliberately buried.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 29, 2005, 11:24
"Interesting to see that despite having so many people plodding across the fields they only found 370 of the 500 tokens that had been deliberately buried."

Yes, that's strange isn't it. I guess the future archaeological record won't be a complete blank then. ;)

Archaeologists have been known to seed sensitive sites with washers, when repeated nighthawking has happened, but I believe that's generally considered not cricket, and pollution, so this seems a bit inconsistent.

Also, if half the fun of the event was a glorified Easter egg hunt then a less contraversial location might have done just as well. Like Kew Gardens for instance.
wideford
1086 posts

Apr 29, 2005, 12:09
"they only found 370 of the 500 tokens that had been deliberately buried."
If they had been dowsing that would have likely been used as disproof of the technique
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 29, 2005, 12:13
Indeed - Hackpen Hill is surely hardly devoid of archaeology (earthworks aplenty on the map). They should have 'sown' £5 coins, there would have been proper incentive then (and more interesting for someone to find in future than a 'token'.)

Seems for every positive story about metal detecting (eg this one - Norfolk just brimming with finds that people kindly bring to official attention)
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED27%20Apr%202005%2019%3A52%3A14%3A633

..is tempered with the downside (eg this one - Roman site in Norfolk being excavated is found with too many holes in it one morning)
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED26%20Apr%202005%2019%3A24%3A03%3A587
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 29, 2005, 12:46
yep, a curate's egg of a hobby. Which is why our approach, saying up with the good and down with the bad is such a cat amongst the pidgeons one. The hobby as a whole wants, and the archaeological establishment has sleepwalked, into an easy position - evolution will make the whole egg good.

The archaeologist in your bad news story felt obliged to add the rider -

"Most metal detectors, especially those who are members of clubs, work with the permission of landowners and report their finds."

It's a complete and utter fiction, that all recording detectorists agree is nonsense. Why should an archaeologist be mouthing such tripe??
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index