Fire reveals moor's stone legacy

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Fire reveals moor's stone legacy
Dec 21, 2004, 09:29
I turned my head 100 degrees and saw the Newcastle General Hospital lit up in early morning sunshine! I see what you mean by the mountains - triple peaks. But there again these designs may be abstract works - not quite drip paintings but ... Where's the meaning in a late Jackson Pollock work ?

Perhaps there will be art in or around Amos Hill long barrow.

I took photographs inside big post office last night - this must be as difficult as getting an aerial view of Silbaby from a little rocket. Disposable camera - complaint to managers - flash went off accidentally (I'm still there though). See pictures of Dev inside News of the World and think 'I can do better than that'.
third degree
137 posts

Dec 21, 2004, 10:22
there was a mention of this on ceefax last night,apparantly it could well be a map of some sort according to some boffin.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Dec 21, 2004, 10:38
yeah and some pictures of fields and a hut.

Couldn't it be anything really though. And as Stonelifter says, it is also awfully like the patterns you get on prehistoric ceramics too. Not that I'm saying such things are purely decorative. And it is admittedly different from your cup and ring marks.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 21, 2004, 13:38
Wonder if it was found near to the "listening ear" at Fylingsdale, that enormous truncated temple to eavesdropping. Must have travelled that road last week on the bus, most of the moors round there seem to be fenced off. It could be like Dartmoor underneath the heather vegetation with stones and settlement patterns.
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Dec 21, 2004, 16:39
entoptics or similar NDE-stuff? considering it's in a tomb, facing inwards towards the dead.
Winterwolf
3 posts

Dec 21, 2004, 19:13
I've been biting my tongue about this stone for a while - I'm originally from Ravenscar, I thought I knew Stow Brow Moor like the back of my hand, and I was astonished at the amount of stuff that the fire revealed, in addition to the barrow kerb. I've got some photos I'll try and get posted up asap, both of the stone and some of the other features that have emerged (for instance, a barrow with a low rubble surrounding wall and entrance pathway).

It was on the front cover of the Times today, I hope that doesn't send too many people up on the moor trying to find it, as 1) it's been reburied and unless you know which barrow to dig in, you're unlikely to find it and 2) the fire was extremely bad and the moor surface is in a very poor condition.

Anyway, I'll try and get my shots posted when I get time.

Waes Hael,
WW
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Dec 21, 2004, 19:51
Has it been reburied? The Times article says it will be reburied.
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Dec 21, 2004, 20:02
Don't expect to see it, now its been studied by the experts its been/to be reburied.

English Heritage archaeologists said the relic, which is unique in England and considered internationally significant, may show a map or landscape drawing – thought to be a first for rock art.

English Heritage took the decision to return the stone to the moor rather than put it in a museum.

"We could take that stone and put it in a glass case in a museum, but it would be just as far away from us there as it is in the ground. It's the image that's important and we've kept that."

and

"It is the image we are interested in and this would be equally inaccessible to the public if it was in a museum somewhere. I am dreading coming back one day to find it has been dug up and put on eBay!".
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Dec 21, 2004, 20:48
Hiya winterwolf
could you drop me a line to [email protected]
nigelswift
8112 posts

They've done WHAT ???!!
Dec 21, 2004, 21:00
Can someone explain to me once again, what was the point of reburying it?
I find the EH chaps explanation, that it'll be just as inaccessible to the public in a museum as buried under a remote moor a bit hard to get my head around.
Some of the public - me for instance - would love to look at it.

Can't remember voting for this bloke.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index