Wychbury Hill »
RE: Wychbury

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Forrester
77 posts

RE: Burt Castle.
Apr 15, 2005, 13:02
The place took me by surprise when i got around to the side facing the river. Its very impressive, but there are some dodgy characters around! A camped thee one night years ago. Pretty spooky, and much like Wychbury at night, as you say. A shame about the plantation of trees, which do occlude much of interest. So, you think its post not pre Roman? How old do you think it is? For that matter, how old do you reckon Wychbury is??
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Burf Castle
Apr 15, 2005, 13:18
"So, you think its post not pre Roman? How old do you think it is? For that matter, how old do you reckon Wychbury is??"
Apologies Forrester for confusing you, no, I mean Burf Castle is probably Iron Age, but the roman marching fort at Quatford could be an older site than just Roman (lookout?) on the crossing at Quatford. The link I make is the old path s/roads to the Quatford crossing from Burf Castle. This would, I imagine , have been all under the same tribal control if Burf Castle 'defended' the Severn crossing there.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

hidden crossings
Apr 15, 2005, 13:26
The though of hidden crossings never occurred to me before, I always assumed (like the suspected one at Hampton Loade) tha they had either been destroyed or had sunken. It makes very good sense to have a crossing known only to those who need it. Thanks Nigel!
Forrester
77 posts

Re: Burf Castle
Apr 15, 2005, 13:34
Ah, I see. This is quite fascinating stuff. One issue is, who would have had tribal control? The Cornovii were a fairly poor pastoral tribe, but it lies in their territory. The Dobunni, who in my conjecture constructed Wychbury, could be responsible though, because they would have wanted a stronghold on the Severn to alert them to any attack from the even more hostile Ordovicians, who were noted raiders even after the Roman occupation, the Vikings found that the same site conduced to their needs much later on, and i think had their original fortress downstream of Bridgnorth, at Quatford. Trade on the river must have been brisk, even back then. Its also on a line of sight to the Clee hills, and to the Wrekin, so i guess would have been a useful signal station, even if it wasn't a succesful redoubt...
wychburyman
951 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 13:50
It's great to see this strand pop again - a very interesting read. Even though non of this can ever be proved now, there are some facinating and interesting theories going on.

As for the atmosphere already mentioned on several occasions I couldn't agree more. For me it's certainly tangible but of course impossible to define exactly. And I accept that others may not experience it at all. But, as I said in my earlier posting, I've always found it intruiging how such a wide variety of people I've met over the years have said this without prompting.

No one has said much about the majestic yew trees that ring the hill fort - any opinions?

BTW if anyone sees this bloke walking a mad black and white springer spaniel over the hill - come and say hello :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: hidden crossings
Apr 15, 2005, 13:51
Actually, the idea that "Danesford is derived from derne-ford meaning hidden-ford" is ringing a big bell with me now, as I know another ford at nearby Claverley, also in Salop, which is called Danford. Locally it was always said to be derived from the Danes, but simply "hidden" makes lots of sense.

(Incidentally the Mose crossing, I think, would be on the Roman road that cuts across from Greensforge, Highgate Common and Bobbington.)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 14:02
"how old do you reckon Wychbury is??"

Good question. Well, obviously the hil itself is as old as, well, the hills (boom-cha!), but human occupation changed the way it looked during the Iron Age. here is a wealth of hillforts around these parts, and they all look so similar to me: Woodbury, British Camp, Burf Castle, Meon Hill, Wychbury etc etc.

What interests me about Wychbury are the tumuli, which could be bronze age? Check out the ones at Harborough Hill nearby. What does that tell us? Did the Hwicce build burial mounds?
Forrester
77 posts

Re: hidden crossings
Apr 15, 2005, 14:09
Of course!
Forrester
77 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 14:20
I've been interested in these mounds at Harborough hill, but need someone to show me where they are. There are some intersting looking mounds on the border of Churchill and Iverley too, but they may be natural? Also, somewhere around there, is a Mercian Royal Hall. There are records showing it to be in this vicinity, which i think was once known as "Usmere" (Stourbridge was known as Sturbrigge in usmere). Stakenbridge lane is a dead give away too, and sounds nicely Anglo Saxon !
Alchemilla
9 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 14:26
Greetings everyone!

Haven't been around for a while and have been missing out obviously!

I am in awe of all the information here, I've never really been able to find much out about Wychbury historically, only the folklore side of it and I'm devouring this information!

My parents used to live at the back of the Gypsies Tent (now Badgers Set) pub and I spent a lot of time as a child making dens in the trees and playing on the ramparts. I still visit regularly and am increasingly dismayed by the amount of trees that people seem intent on destroying and trying to burn.

I have a wonderful article somewhere from an early copy of the Black Country Bugle which has a lot of information regarding archaeological finds at Wychbury which I will dig out and type/scan in. If you all know about this already let me know and I'll shut up!

Around the time of the bypass protest I remember someone telling me about another Bugle article that mentioned seven Celtic warriors being buried under seven sacred yew trees on the hill! I'd love to read this if anyone has a copy.

Best wishes to you all,

Alchemilla
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index