Wychbury Hill »
RE: Wychbury

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Alchemilla
9 posts

Jul 30, 2004, 14:23
Hi Forrester, I'm definitely interested in chatting to you regarding Wychbury Hill Fort, I've always had a big fascination with the place. I found your post extremely interesting!

You can email me at: [email protected]
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jul 30, 2004, 14:45
Me three. Around 1993-4 I was actively involved in a large campaign to save Wychbury from a monstrous bypass. |During the campaign I met many people from the environs (door to dooor leafleting was my game) who told many ghostly/supernatural tales about the place. It has a mystery and myth all of it's own, I grew up there so can tell you much or discuss legends/history if you want to email me> morfe at morfe.com

Wychburyman where are you?
wychburyman
951 posts

Aug 03, 2004, 20:04
I'm here Morfe

It's great to see interest is still strong in this wonderful site.

I welcome any discussion (especially over a pint!). I think Forrester's message shows a knowledge and intelligence about the subject that I certainly can't match but I'd be happy to take it further.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the position of the biggest ramparts, to me they seem to be placed to utilise the natural topography. After all an approaching enemy coming from any direction would not take long to outflank the biggest defences and quickly traverse around to the other side.

I think the comments about the atmosphere and feel for the place are spot on as we know. Subjective I know, but there is something that I can't quite put my finger on; whether benign or malign! So many people I've spoken to young and old and from varied backgrounds have said as much, without any prompting at all.

I look forward to responses.

Regards

[email protected]
Forrester
77 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 11:26
I guess i was thinking about likely escape routes if the fort was stormed, in terms of the orientation of the ramparts. A lot of the hill forts were re occupied and refortified around 450 --550 AD to check the gradual English advance (i.e Cadbury Castle, Brent Knoll Hill et al). A ring fort in this geographical postion would have been a good rallying point against a serious incursion. Worcestershire is a rich farming area, and I guess they probably had enough organization civically, and enough to lose, to organize a pretty serious defence a la 1940 style! The "flavour" of the stories i heard as a boy about "the battle" (called Clatterbach??) was that the English broke in over near St. Kenelm's pass, and then won but with such slaughter that it was a "pyrhic" victory. My interest, which doesn't claim to be expert, and is speculative (and a bit romantic and fanciful, probably!) is more in the fort as it was when it was first constructed. I have a hunch that this had a lot to do with troubles from the west, as near Bridgnorth thereis another fort at Mose, clearly defending the shallow crossing of the Severn, overlooking Danesford (the Vikings never missed a trick either!). Anyway, i'm heartened to find others who are showing interest. I've written a few songs about some of the ideas. I'm always happy to meet up, especially in a good hostelry on a Summer evening!
Forrester
77 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 11:33
Hi Alchemilla,

Sorry for the long delay in replying, i've been out of commision for a wee while! Anyway thanks for responding. There seems to be a few of us whocould concievably get together, and collate folklore etc. and organize a strong defence of the ramparts again, if the motorway planners ever resurrect the idea of the "tunnel". I'll be in touch soon.
Forrester
77 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 11:36
Well done morfe!! Although the stuff i post might seem a bit technical and nerdy, actually it's that strange atmosphere that keeps me interested. I'd love to hear more of the legends and stories you heard about the place.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 12:25
"thereis another fort at Mose"

That'd be 'Burt (Burf?) Castle' in Morfe Valley? Another 'odd' place! It reminds me in many ways of Wychbury, although the last tme I went there (about 18 months ago) there was a guy pointedly brandishing a shotgun (as a warning, or just to make us aware?) at us halfway up the south side. Be careful in there!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 15, 2005, 12:46
The river crossing there is said to be hidden, with large underwater stones in place http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:YyUcP_haUUQJ:www.suelaflin.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MAThesis/MA03.html++danesford+hidden+bridgnorth&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Burf Castle
Apr 15, 2005, 12:48
This Mose/Morfe hillfort is situated along old tracks that seem to lead down to Quatford, an ancient crossing of the Severn/Hafod with a small Roman marching camp which of course could be older still. A friend of mine from Quatford found an old spearhead in her garden with some design on it, I'd love to have gotten a picture.

You can make sense of the old road down to the Quatford Crossing if you look at this old map, it runs down through Gags Hill/Gags Rock, past the Forest Oak (one of the survivors of the old Morfe Forest) and then through the wooded valley to Quatford. Wish I had more time to investigate all the stuff there!

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D5EB214EA
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Hafod?
Apr 15, 2005, 12:50
Severn/Hafren, I meant.

Too many memories crowding, time to get back to work...
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index