WYRD WALKS

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sam
sam
151 posts

Re: balder, balor, lugh, loki & louhi
Aug 11, 2004, 17:03
Can't cope with all these names, but another name for Apollo was Loxias, which seems similar.

s
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Pol's stump a London Moot?
Aug 11, 2004, 17:13
nice one wideford, I missed what you were saying here first time around, sorry! Here's a quote, though, from that article you link to, which suggests that Pol's stump was a law-making place in the style of the Anglo-Saxon Moots and Hundreds:

"The choice of Pol's Stump, a stone or cross, as a moot for the Londoners [47] may go back to this phase of purely ritual occupation." (from the final paragraph of the article)
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

loxias
Aug 11, 2004, 17:14
definitely similar, sam, another lead to chase up, I reckon
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Ludi Compitales
Aug 11, 2004, 17:16
The crossroads association recalls not simply Yggdrasil but also Hermes, another Mercurial/Odinist figure:

"The Romans too erected altars at crossroads for the festival of Ludi Compitales (held between 17th December and 5th January). Parallels are known from northern India and from Japan, where the god Jizo was considered to be the patron of travellers (Martin Puhvel, 'The mystery of the cross-roads', Folklore Vol 87 1976, II)."

http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/foamycustard/fc009.htm

That article's an excellent overview of liminality, by the way.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

lux
Aug 11, 2004, 17:17
"lux" in Latin means "light"
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Apollo and the Hyperboreans
Aug 11, 2004, 17:33
Also of interest is the fact that Cicero states that Apollo came from the "land of the Hyperboreans", which many believe to be Britain. I've also heard that there are legends in which Apollo is said to travel from the land of The Hyperboreans (Hyperborea means "the land beyond the north wind", I believe) to Delphi (his temple, the ancient Greek omphalos) in a chariot drawn by swans, and also a tale in which Abaris, a Hyperborean Apollo priest, travelled from Hyperborea to Greece (by riding one of Apollo's arrows) in order to visit Pythagoras. Does anyone know any more of these last two tales?
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Apollo and the Hyperboreans
Aug 11, 2004, 17:35
"In this Hyperborean land a magnificent sacred precinct of Apollo and a notable temple which is adorned with many votive offerings and is spherical in shape dedicated to Apollo to which he returned, in person, every nineteen years."
- Diodorus Siculus
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: the "new" world
Aug 11, 2004, 18:18
Got me going again. In the Vinland Sagas, there is an episode where the vikings (around New England area) meet some local tribesmen (Indians or Inuits) who tell them of robed white men far to the west. The Vikings accept this with little surprise and see it is as confirmation of their own legends of a far western country called New Ireland. Seems to me there was a lot more trans-Atlantic travel than we suspect or possibly island hopping via the Aleutians.
Megalithic
140 posts

Sacred springs and wells?
Aug 11, 2004, 18:23
Hello Wyrd,
I don't know if your research covers sacred springs and wells in London, there are quite a number I think. I don't believe TMA extends to these but we have a growing database of locations and photos here, and you'd be very welcome to contribute.
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/asb_mapsquare.php?op=map&sq=TQ&sitetype=45
Cheers,
Andy
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: Apollo and the Hyperboreans
Aug 11, 2004, 19:45
There is a view that Apollo is the deity mistakenly called the Gorgon at Aqua Sulis. Have to concede that the carving above the pediment is not female and the snakes hair are not snakes at all. The face is heavily moustached and masculine and the snake locks are surely the rays of the sun.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index