Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Humour me
Jul 21, 2004, 09:11
Go to this page...

http://www.hoap.co.uk/download.htm

and download "Research in Geomancy 1990–1994". You'll find plenty of examples there, under "The Ideal City", "The City As Built" and "The City in Ritual".

I admit I've only scratched the surface of this subject, but it seems pretty clear to me that plenty of cities have been designed on geomantic principles. Please do put me right if I've got it wrong, though.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

–
Jul 21, 2004, 09:12
"Research in Geomancy 1990–1994" should read "Research in Geomancy 1990-1994"
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Jul 21, 2004, 09:14
"I'm not suggesting that the city of London was designed geomantically in the manner that I've heard Rome was, when I think about it. More that the sacred landscape/whateveryoucallit that was there before London has influenced London's development."

Which is just what Bob Trubshaw has argued about Jerusalem:

"Although the physical city of Jerusalem was never laid out on the principles of 'sacred geometry', the main christian sites give the natural topography an indelibly sacred manifestation, with Mount Sion the most auspicious of the holy mountains."

http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/mountn.htm
wideford
1086 posts

Re: WYRD WALKS
Jul 21, 2004, 09:25
The book to look for is "Earthstars.The Visionary Landscape.Part One:London, City of Revelation" by Christopher E.Street. Bloody expensive.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 21, 2004, 15:39
Bob always seems to have his head screwwed on.

>> "I'm not suggesting that the city of London was designed geomantically in the manner that
>> I've heard Rome was, when I think about it. More that the sacred landscape/whateveryoucallit
>> that was there before London has influenced London's development."

Shirley that's totally different - and probably a more valid case anyway :-)

I can not really accept that because another (ancient) culture planned one or two cities using geomantic (?) principles that a much later one would do the same in London.

Thinking about it I reckon I could come up with similar ideas about Dublin. In fact I know a street where the sun sets straight down it on the equinoxes. To compound the theory the sun sets behind a passage tomb on one of the Dublin Mountains (the north end of the Wicklow Mountains that just happens to be in County Dublin - to me they're all the Wicklow Mountains). Unfortunately, this part of Dublin was apple orchards 200 years ago - I have 1798 & 1693 maps of Dublin. Not a road in sight. The road is new and the alignment simply a very nice coincidence.

Anyway, by way of diversion, how old is the Pentagram as a recorded western sacred symbol? It's not something I've looked into, so I don't have a clue. Saying that, the Irish five-stone stone circles ....
wideford
1086 posts

Jul 21, 2004, 18:08
Celtic meaning of five. Supposedly four kingdoms surrounding a smaller central one (alternatively seen as being made up from a portion of each) where the overking resides.
Known are North Welsh ('The Men of the North' Yr Gogledd inc. Cumberland 'land of our brother Welsh' and Westmoreland), South Welsh (present Wales), West Welsh (Dumnonia, the West Country). East Welsh taken over very early on, all those Angles and such. Welsh heartland probably where Arthur came out of, so they made a thorough job of wiping out any traces there.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 21, 2004, 18:43
The five thing is a bit more obvious when you look at Ireland. 4 kingdoms (Leinster, Munster, Connaught & Ulster) plus Midhe the fifth ethereal realm that is above Uisneach and the Cat Stone.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Jul 21, 2004, 19:43
"Shirley that's totally different - and probably a more valid case anyway :-) "

Yes, I accept I didn't get myself across very well to begin with. Careless words cost lives! But thanks for pushing at it until I realised what it was I was trying to say.

"I can not really accept that because another (ancient) culture planned one or two cities using geomantic (?) principles that a much later one would do the same in London."

I wondered what you were getting at. Even if I showed you five million cities that were geomantically designed then it wouldn't say anything about London. As it happens, it seems that most geomantically designed cities (eg. Beijing's Forbidden City, Taipei, Seoul, Baghdad) were built in historic, not prehistoric, times.

Regarding what you say about Dublin - I say go with it, revell in these alignments, real or not. The street I lived on in Glasgow was aligned on the equinoctial sunrise. I'm pretty sure it ended up that way accidentally. But that didn't stop me being blown away when the sun rose exactly at the end of it on the equinox morning. It strikes me that "games" of this sort can add a whole other layer to your experience of a city. I'm obsessed with direction, though, I admit, and am very aware of the four points of the compass wherever I go.

I'll get back to you on pentagrams, if I find anything.
wideford
1086 posts

Jul 21, 2004, 20:53
I took the five kingdoms of Ireland as the reference of course.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

bob
Jul 21, 2004, 21:01
"Bob always seems to have his head screwwed on."

Yes, I've always been impressed with his writing.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index