This topic is locked

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

That would be me :-)
Nov 09, 2003, 21:16
I am the HH Chief Sceptic, but I have some competition of late. I may lose my crown as I become old and weak minded and start to believe in mumbo-jumbo again ...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: brigantes!..................
Nov 09, 2003, 21:42
Hi Mik,

The main interest for a large amount of people on this site is the weldare of the monuments. For instance the imminent collapse of Silbury, because of apparent neglect by it's 'protectors'.

The car park ain't gonna move and it's a battle that can be fought another day, so why not divert your efforts to saving Silbury, while IT'S STILL SAVABLE?

What will Avebury be if Silbury collapses in on itself?

Surely that's more important than being able to park or having to walk a while isn't it?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Silbury
Nov 09, 2003, 21:49
It looks like there will be no repairs for at least 18 months now.
I think a demo in May2004 maybe another good idea to put pressure on EH and raise some public awareness.
The car-park/camping issue has been raised before on this forum and I'm sure it will come around again.
PeteG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: brigantes!..................
Nov 09, 2003, 21:55
"We use the place today as best we can in relation to the energies about the place ..."

Well to do that you probably need to erect a few microwave receiving stations and mobile phone masts, because that's all the energy there is whizzing around that place. All that lot would certainly black out any 'background noise' energy that you imagine the site to have.

"In addition, there are the myriad artificially-generated electromagnetic emmissions of the modern world (any straight energy lines a dowser might pick up are more likely to be microwave transmition beams than 'energy leys') "

I can't believe that I'm quoting Paul Devereux :-)
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: 'lightwork'?
Nov 09, 2003, 23:17
I suspect that he is saying that the Earth energies can be directed by those in the know and that the powers of light would use them for "lightwork", whilst the powers of darkness presumably use them for "darkwork".

Like 4W said: ...bollocks!! (note the use of only two exclamation marks, as you said, 4W)
Simon Templar
6 posts

Re: pagan persecution at avebury.
Nov 10, 2003, 00:30
My word, there do seem to be some touchy types in here, dont there?..
I could be wrong, but it looks a lot like certain people take exception at newcomers invading their cosy world..
Whassup?..no place for spirituality in ancient Britain?
Standing stones are, after all, merely neolithic doorstops, aren't they?..
Well arent they?....
Nothing exists unless it can be measured, labelled or pigeon-holed, right?...
And those that came millenia before us, couldnt possibly have had any better a handle on existence than we oh-so-smug cyber-monkeys, eh?...
Hmmmmmm
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 10, 2003, 01:38
sorry if it seems that we are a bit hard on newecomers but we have seen this forum invaded by new people from other forums several times before.
Check out the thread on GeoCachers for an example
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/show.php?subgr=2&loadframe=8495&show=message&id=78349
If you post on here about lightwork and praeternatural beings then someone will ask you for a photo of a lightbeing in a jar, or at least a pixie in a bucket.............
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 10, 2003, 06:54
>> My word, there do seem to be some touchy types in
>>here, dont there?..

can't argue with that

>> I could be wrong, but it looks a lot like certain people
>> take exception at newcomers invading their cosy world..

"Invading", yes. "Joining", no. And starting one thread isn't invading.

>> Whassup?..no place for spirituality in ancient Britain?

There was lots of it.

>> Standing stones are, after all, merely neolithic
>> doorstops, aren't they?..

Well, a lot of them were boundary markers or cattle scratchers now that you ask. I've seen people swing crystals over stones erected 100 years ago and find 'earth energies' and state that it's a place of power. Now, one 'new' stone being erected in a 'place of power' I could accept as coincidence, but several or worse every one of them is a bit iffy. Doesn't do their arguement for older sites a lot of good does it?

>> Well arent they?....

See above

>> Nothing exists unless it can be measured, labelled or
>> pigeon-holed, right?...

Some of us do think that way, yes. Some of us don't. We've had some long threads about that.

>> And those that came millenia before us, couldnt possibly
>> have had any better a handle on existence than we oh-
>> so-smug cyber-monkeys, eh?...

They probably did, but we've f*cked with the planet so much that it is impossible to get the same handle on it today, no matter how much you try.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 10, 2003, 07:46
In all this do we not need a third protagonist to defend the cause of the stones themselves. Surely they have a right to existence free from all our own personal needs to have a spiritual experience. A defence lawyer would surely argue that they had been there for a few thousand years, erected by people who had their own belief system and that the stones belong within their own time frame. Stonehenge has to all intents and purposes been sacrificed in the name of tourist attraction/disney theme image, many of us do not want Avebury to go the same route. Callanish last night was treated to a sons et lumiere effect! In the end nothing belongs to anyone we are all just passing through. I do not quarrel with your need to have a belief system, only with the hijacking/adopting of a very special imposing circle that has stood its ground quietly for a few thousand years. x
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Nov 10, 2003, 08:02
I think there's a further point: whilst we may be sympathetic (there's that word again) to your plight in relation to parking at Avebury, we are unlikely to be as enthusiastic about your beliefs. In fact anyone presenting the dogma of any religion here is likely to be challenged. Don't take our skepticism as discrimination, we'd be just as hard (probably worse) if a Christian turned up here bible thumping. We can embrace the fact that ancient people believed certain things without having to believe in them ourselves.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index