Stone Shifting

158 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Stone Shifting
Aug 26, 2003, 00:01
OK, Guys, you seem to have been discussing the very topic that was concerning me. Being a physicist by training and a software developer by trade, I am writting a computer model for the falling block. It's not finished yet, but I have done enough to make some useful observations. The falling has 3 phases. Phase 1 is where the block pivots about the edge of the supporting tower. Phase 2 is where it begins to slip, but remains in contact. Phase 3 is where it (might) rotate sufficiently to break contact with the tower altogether.

The most critical factor seems to be the overhang of the centre of the block from the edge of the tower. If the overhang is small, the block falls very slowly at first, but builds up considerable rotational momentum and thus may totally overshoot the hole. If the overhang is large there is very little rotation so the block may not achieve an upright position. The "Sweet Spot" would be somewhere between these extremes where the rotation is sufficient to just bring the block to the upright position.

I am working on phase 2 at the moment so I need to find the coefficient of friction between wood and stone (may have to get my hands dirty). I don't know if phase 3 is every reached, but I will program it in just in case it's needed. It's fun to watch the model in action, the motion looks very natural. When it's finished I'll post a copy for you to download and try for yourselves.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index