Spirit of Place

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Re: Spirit of Place
Jun 26, 2003, 21:45
Yup! And I'm apparently speaking a foreign language, Dude 8-)
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

explaining myself
Jun 26, 2003, 21:52
Hi Shestu - nice to see you're still frequenting these parts. I just wanted to say that I present these things "gingerly" not because I think that everyone here is Rationalist & Roman, but because I am anxious to distinguish my writing from that of (so-called) "new age" authors. I think you probably know the kind of writing I mean - where the author pays no regard to historical facts at all and just launches into a wild flight of fancy that has no basis in reality. Erich von Daniken's books are a wonderfully entertaining example of this kind of (fictional!) writing. Also, I am often writing with people in mind who have absolutely no interest at all in stone circles and the like. These are the people I am most interested in reaching with my writing - preaching to the converted is not my main aim. Lastly, I find that it helps me to write if I imagine the reader as a sort of opponent, someone who is intelligent, critical and skeptical - it helps me strengthen my argument. Strangely enough, this "intelligent, critical and skeptical" (notice I don't say cynical - I think skepticism is a healthy thing) reader who I envision in my mind's eye usually seems to be FourWinds these days! : ) I also find it entertaining to gently ridicule reason!
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Jun 26, 2003, 21:54
its just part of his therapy : )
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Jun 26, 2003, 21:56
Sooo either Pete is a lizard dining on crickets or just an ordinary Joe with a tupperware fettish.

All I really wanted to know is how many people feel uncomfortable with the idea of the "Spirits" of a place. It all seems quite natural to me and I wonder what makes people comfortable or uncomfortable with the idea. There'a no wrong or right answer just opinions. An on account of my attention deficit I like to collect them!
Okey Doke!
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Jun 26, 2003, 22:01
Clicking on "search" at the top of this forum and typing in the word "geocaching". That may throw some light on the situation! I have to say, mind, that I don't really understand what geocaching is - there was a great to-do about it a while back on this board but I can never be bothered to wade through all the posts about it (there's about a million of them). Something to do with global positioning systems and digging plastic tuppaware boxes out of the ground at ancient sites... its a funny old world.

Oh, and Pete G is probably being ironic - I think he passionately disagrees with the geocachers, whoever they are (and whatever they do).

Confused? I am.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jun 26, 2003, 22:04
hehehehehehehehehe
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Re: explaining myself
Jun 26, 2003, 22:08
Yes, I see what you mean. By the way did you read my symbolic interpretation of your friends vision? I think it illustrates that symbology speaks to us on a much deeper level than our ego-minds can comprehend. By-passing language and social barriers. Would not be surprised if my musings seem "New Age" (I really dislike that expression). Whatever category my comments fall under... they give meaning to my life and cause me to be a better person for it 8o) I've met alot of crack pots and wierdo's can seem a thin line at times.
Namaste!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 26, 2003, 22:13
Yep, and my intervention was an in-joke between he and I based on something he said on an entirely different forum half an hour ago. Sorry. (He has crickets living under his fridge. How gross is that?)
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Jun 26, 2003, 22:22
Is it any bloomin wonder that I feel I'm speaking a foreign language at least half the time and spending the other half as the hind end of a joke! I must say, the jokes that I do get are quite hilarious and brighten my day 8o)
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: explaining myself
Jun 26, 2003, 22:29
"did you read my symbolic interpretation of your friends vision?"

I did, thanks Shestu. My own interpretation was virtually identicle to yours. Its exciting to see others find the same meaning in it that I did (those who don't know what the hell we're talking about should go and have a look on the U-Know! forum). By the way, its the same person who saw the hag at dead stones. He's alive with vision but usually denies the validity of every one of them, dismissing them as unimportant. Its ironic. I believe my talk of Dead Stones as a temple of the hag made him think twice, mind you. I think that was just one coincidence too far for him...

Namaste!
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index