Re: Spirit of Place
Jun 27, 2003, 16:00
Blaidd sums it up nicely!
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Re: Miss Pebbles says ...
Jun 27, 2003, 16:12
Fourwinds... I appreciate your healthy skepticism. Problem is sorting through meaning and delusion. This is why Tombo has proposed this test to see how many people have the same impressions of a particular site. Mind you this can be sensed in site, taste, sound, feelings! Don't get too narrow on how you receive the information... if none of it gels I will be very surprised.
Blaidd
125 posts

Re: Blackpool
Jun 27, 2003, 16:14
Went there once, would rather not repeat it!!

And I don't think they have the kind of spirit we would like!

B
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jun 27, 2003, 16:20
Concur on both. Skeggy?

Moth
Blaidd
125 posts

Jun 27, 2003, 16:23
Only If I get to wear the funny hat & wellies like the rather rotund chap on the old posters - (who looks like a cross between a fat jolly fisherman & a dirty old pervert)

and we can eat lots of icecream

and can paddle in the sea

and eat winkly things

and probably be totally bloody sick after that little lot!!

B ;-}
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Skeggy
Jun 27, 2003, 16:44
Go on then, as long as I can miss out on winkly things. Just them'd make me blow chunks.

love

M
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 27, 2003, 16:55
Of course it’ll gel. If the test was: do you like the warmth of the sun, the babbling brook and the buzzing of bees it would gel, we’re all human. But ask us about radiation, sound frequencies and fluid dynamics and it all goes tangential. There’s too much thinking in the world if you ask me.
It’s hopeless to ask “what is it” as we’re all smart-arses. Rationalists will speculate about aesthetics inter alia, but don’t know and can’t prove it (other people’s shoes again) and Spiritual people will talk about Energy, always Energy dammit, the word should be banned! People feel, but that doesn’t justify them saying they feel energy. It’s them that feels, that’s all they’re entitled to say, and to claim it’s external is just being a smart arse, just like the rationalist.

So to get a worthwhile answer, the question has to be: describe how you feel but don’t prat about trying to explain it. To strictly conform to the requirements of the test this may mean that Tombo has to exclude all answers except appreciative grunts. I suspect that when tabulated the results will suggest that most people here feel really happy visiting ancient sites.
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Jun 27, 2003, 17:06
I can't really explain it.... when I say feelings it is a combination of feelings and impressions... which I interpret into meaning. The problem is everyone has senses that are stronger than thier other senses, it is different to each individual. Some people pick up on something and try to validate it with someone who is using a different sense to experience it. Then they both dismiss it because there is no validation. Geez, I feel this is futile and you are right it wont work..... ya know an open mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Love You
Sherry

P.S. It takes time, patience and trust....make it a game and be playful.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Mr Nigelswift says...
Jun 27, 2003, 17:07
Me like. Again!

love

M
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 27, 2003, 17:17
"an open mind is a terrible thing to waste..... P.S. It takes time, patience and trust....make it a game and be playful."

You weren't a Sunday School teacher in Shropshire in the year dot were you?

I told you then I wouldn't play.
(And look where it's got me!)
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index