66 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pure joy
pure joy
334 posts

Re: Falmouth
Apr 08, 2003, 23:49
U lucky pix,

I mention Cornwall all the time – I thought I was becoming a Cornwall bore…..

I agree with what Ocifant said (5th post) – have a mooch around the cornwall bit on this site, read the weblogs…. Most of my visits have been in the Bodmin Moor and surrounding areas, but I have added several sites, or info on sites, elsewhere, especially Land’s End (West Penwith).

I’d like to see Halligye Fogou next time I’m in Mid Cornwall - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=234
And wander around Carn Brea - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=757

I could recommend loads of sites but it really does depend on your transport. Cornwall has some decent bus services I think but it does tie you down (ooh er). What about hiring a bike? If you can get to Land’s End for a long day you could see loads – the distances are often quite small.

The oft quoted “Cornovia: Ancient Sites of Cornwall & Scilly” by Craig Weatherhill is well worth £8 (ISBN 1871060311). Not only a great gazetter but he also seems like a very dedicated and knowledgeable bloke. I picked up my copy at The Tate in St.Ives – also saw it on sale in the Royal Cornwall Museum in Truro. I’m sure your local bookshop would order a copy for you, or you could get via internet etc…….

You might also want to get Cheryl Straffon’s ‘Earth Mysteries Guide to Mid-Cornwall and the Lizard’ (Meyn Mamvro Publications – 1994 - ISBN 0951885936). Might be just as easy to get it from them direct –51 Carn Bosavern, St Just, Penzance, TR19 7QX. £3.50 cover price – not sure about postage. I’ve got their other 3 cornwall guides and they are all a bit poorly presented but they are obviously the work of dedicated people and often include sites not mentioned in Cornovia. Don’t let the ‘earth mysteries’ bit possibly put you off – they do mention alignments, leys, and ‘anomalous energies’ quite a bit, but they are still good gazetter’s and interesting reads whatever you think about that stuff.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index