Unsung Forum »
Synth Pop

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beebon
1375 posts

Synth Pop
Jan 16, 2003, 20:14
Hmmmm, a genre i used to really not give a shit about..... but am now getting into it thanks to Human League's "Dare!" album.

I was just wandering if anyone has any suggestions as to what i could check out next (not just by human league)

thanks dudes

steve :-P
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Re: Synth Pop
Jan 16, 2003, 20:24
Propaganda, "A Secret Wish." I had a thread on it a while ago here on Unsung. Moey burned a copy for me.

xxoo
SOA
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jan 16, 2003, 20:35
The Pet Shop Boys, up to and including behaviour (1990).

Fad Gadget (though not so pop).

New Order, excluding Movement and up until Republic.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Jan 16, 2003, 20:52
I've been listening to Kraftwerk this last couple weeks. Borrowed them from my brother, so I hadn't heard them since I left home in '85. Really enjoyable. (I'll put together a CDr for you to send with The Fall 'Perverted By Language Bis.' video that I'll send next week. The TV compilation video was posted today, so expect that soon...)
Also borrowed the first Orchestral Manouevres in the Dark album (brilliant sleeve) and the Tubeway Army 'Down In The Park' album. OMD have a couple of brilliant songs (you can't get better than 'Electricity') and Gazza's album is pants!
Beebon
1375 posts

Jan 16, 2003, 21:00
Wow Howden dude, that is sooooo cool! :)

Btw, i have heard OMD's Electricity.... have it on mp3..... what a flipping cool song!!!!
:)

steve :)
AHAB
109 posts

Jan 16, 2003, 21:07
We must meet in bd and have a synthsesh sometime. i love that stuff, i know all the best shit. How far do you want to go, classix neuvau?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 16, 2003, 21:07
I quite like some of Depeche Mode's moments. But I have to say one early synthpop anthem I really like is "To Cut A Long Story Short" by....Spandau Ballet. Yeah I know...but a good song is a good song, and the twiddly synthpop riff on this is ace.

Also see Bedsitter and Sex Dwarf by Soft Cell and some of the Yazoo stuff.
Beebon
1375 posts

Jan 16, 2003, 21:11
Funny u mentioned Yazoo dude..... bloke at work leant me "Upstairs at Eric's" today, REALLY good album! :)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 16, 2003, 21:20
Heard a really good German synthpop thing on Peel last night - a cover of Let's Dance.
elderford
482 posts

Re: gary numan
Jan 16, 2003, 21:38
...alright, calm down everyone.

1979 The Pleasure Principle.

great mix of instrumentation, big chunky analogue synths but with real drums and violins/violas (and bass, but no guitar). gives it more of a grounding beat than some of the early 80s tinpot drum machine bands.

i could go on at length, but i'm sure it'll fall on deaf ears. Needless to say it's got 'cars' on it, 'M.E.' the song sampled by Basement Jaxx (where's your head at) as well as 'Metal' which NIN covered, and afrika bombaataa liked it, and brace yourself even Mark E Smith has commented on it "...while i was in south chicago in 1992, i went to a few clubs and all the black guys with machine guns worship gary numan", now there's a compliment if ever i heard one.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index