Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Re: Wahnfried 2022
May 04, 2022, 17:57
The Seth Man wrote:
Zariadris wrote:
Wow. HUGELY appreciated Seth Man. I'll use this guide as a roadmap and probably start with Cyborg.

One more thing...I got an early CD reissue of Moondawn (I forget the label, but not Spalax, rather the folks who reissued Mirage around the same time), later to read in Audion (or somewhere) that it's not the same mix as the original. Any thoughts?

Z

Zariadris,
Yes, the 1991 CD issues on the Brain and Thunderbolt labels were pressed from masters Schulze had overdubbed mellotron and extra reverb onto in order to cover up tape hiss, apparently. The tracks were also shortened -- again, (I think) in a bid to eliminate tape hiss.

"Floating" original time: 27:15 (26:53 on the 1991 issues)
"Mindphaser" original time: 25:22 (25:05 on the 1991 issues)

CD versions produced since (Japan 1995, Germany 2005, Japan 2007, EU 2016, Japan 2018) contain the original version.

(Note: although extremely expensive, the recent Japanese issues of Schulze's seventies back catalogue on Arcangelo (2007) and the SHM-CD series on Belle Antique (2018) sound so fantastic that it borders on the occult.)

Right on Seth Man. Thanks for this!

I'll seek out the original version, but the 1991 dubs always sounded great enough to me...mellotron and extra reverb never hurts...
The Seth Man
1242 posts

May 05, 2022, 17:03
Zariadris wrote:
The Seth Man wrote:
Zariadris wrote:
Wow. HUGELY appreciated Seth Man. I'll use this guide as a roadmap and probably start with Cyborg.

One more thing...I got an early CD reissue of Moondawn (I forget the label, but not Spalax, rather the folks who reissued Mirage around the same time), later to read in Audion (or somewhere) that it's not the same mix as the original. Any thoughts?

Z

Zariadris,
Yes, the 1991 CD issues on the Brain and Thunderbolt labels were pressed from masters Schulze had overdubbed mellotron and extra reverb onto in order to cover up tape hiss, apparently. The tracks were also shortened -- again, (I think) in a bid to eliminate tape hiss.

"Floating" original time: 27:15 (26:53 on the 1991 issues)
"Mindphaser" original time: 25:22 (25:05 on the 1991 issues)

CD versions produced since (Japan 1995, Germany 2005, Japan 2007, EU 2016, Japan 2018) contain the original version.

(Note: although extremely expensive, the recent Japanese issues of Schulze's seventies back catalogue on Arcangelo (2007) and the SHM-CD series on Belle Antique (2018) sound so fantastic that it borders on the occult.)

Right on Seth Man. Thanks for this!

I'll seek out the original version, but the 1991 dubs always sounded great enough to me...mellotron and extra reverb never hurts...

No problem!
There are many iterations of MOONDAWN. There's the two mixes and then half a dozen different sleeves. The original Japanese had a gatefold and copies of the original French on Isadora came with a poster.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

May 06, 2022, 18:22
The Seth Man wrote:
Citizensmurf,

You have pretty much scored it all! Great you got BODY LOVE 2 (ADDITIONAL MUSIC FROM). That was the first Klaus Schulze album I ever saw, then purchased. In 1981, copies of the US Island pressing were everywhere in NYC for $2.99. (Already had the Go albums because I -- then, as now -- really liked Traffic and Winwood was part of the floating lineup.) Upon recent re-listen, the second side had some stunning moments I didn't recall at all.

Like a good friend first said to me decades ago, live albums and compilations cap off an era and Schulze's ...LIVE... (1980) is no exception. It's not only commendable but absolutely insane how Schulze kept up with new synthesizer developments. It did wind up impacting not only the sounds he got but the compositions he arranged them in.

As a result of this, the entirely digital DIG IT (1980) is clean and clinical as hell. Even though the prominent drum beats and vocoder vocals derail it somewhat (says the guy that loves Joy Division, MAN MACHINE and COMPUTER WORLD) but the final track has startling passages. Then again, I suppose Schulze could've easily continued with sequencer driven synthesizer albums for the next several years but instead pursued a far more difficult path of experimentation with no guarantees.

When Schulze was "fucked in lippy," (Ash Ra Tempel, TAROT, LORD KRISHNA VON GOLOKA, Cosmic Jokers, IRRLICHT, CYBORG), he could do no wrong: everything he touched was cosmic to the extreme and engaging as fuck forever. Buy it all and listen to it all.

Nervously awaiting my package from Germany. The last time I ordered and LP from a German seller, it arrived in a giant sack. No fooling.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Edited May 07, 2022, 06:19
Psychic Powerless
May 07, 2022, 03:15
In a sack?? I never!

It's great when you get an order with a completely disposable album used for extra packing. I recently ordered an album from Germany and this LP was used as padding:

https://www.discogs.com/ja/release/17094453-Various-Lachen-Ist-Die-Beste-Medizin-100-Medizinerwitze-Am-Laufenden-Band

Translates to "Laughter Is The Best Medicine." A German comedy album. What a dichotomy.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Edited May 07, 2022, 06:29
Re: Another Man's Sac(k)
May 07, 2022, 06:28
Most of the time I've bought records from Germany they've been packed with first rate examples of German thoroughness and efficiency.

I got a reel to reel from there though, that was so full of rust, cobwebs and dead spiders that a tech friend of mine (specialized in tape recorders for around 50 years) said that he's never seen anything like that.

Most of the freebie records (used to make the package sturdier) that I've received have been total mind numbing garbage with dull covers. But that looks hilarious. Is it any good..?
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Re: Schulze - Schickert Session
May 07, 2022, 06:36
I forgot to mention the Schulze/Schickert Session ('75) of them playing live as a duo released some years ago! Heavily recommended.

Also, the PARALLEL WORLD album is worth finding out. As is NIPPONJIN!!
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Cream Corn
May 07, 2022, 17:14
HI DEN wrote:
Most of the time I've bought records from Germany they've been packed with first rate examples of German thoroughness and efficiency.

I got a reel to reel from there though, that was so full of rust, cobwebs and dead spiders that a tech friend of mine (specialized in tape recorders for around 50 years) said that he's never seen anything like that.

Most of the freebie records (used to make the package sturdier) that I've received have been total mind numbing garbage with dull covers. But that looks hilarious. Is it any good..?

Same here,man: all records I've ever received from Germany have been packed with extreme care.

I still can't believe someone sent records overseas in a SACK. But that is a step up from when someone I know packing taped several Ten Years After records together, wrote his address and put stamps on the front cover of WATT and mailed it off as is. Hahahahaha

The Little Annie Fanny rip off on the cover was the best thing. My German has been rusty for years, so I don't think that I could catch the subtle differences in Hochdeutsch vs Plattdeutsch regarding words for parts of the female anatomy. I think a Dutch-speaking, middle-aged Sumatran woman would have as much luck "getting" the humour of a Cheech & Chong album.

With that said, I chucked it in recycling as it was scratched to hell. Like the last dozen records I got as packing material (all Mantovani, Johnny Mathis-grade detritus.) Seems like sellers are using them more often.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: Klaus Schulze 1947-2022
May 10, 2022, 02:45
A great loss. His huge body of work will keep our ears busy for a long time. The music is so of its time yet timeless.
MC
638 posts

May 10, 2022, 08:53
Ash Ra Tempel for me are the most iconic Krautrock band there is. Back in the 90s I got deeeep into Schwingungen. Solo Klaus doesn't do so much for me.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

May 11, 2022, 01:58
I finally found a reasonably priced copy of KRS, and noticed for some reason Cope (or his editor) spelt it 'Schultze' throughout the book.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index