Klaus Schulze 1947-2022

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Re: Wahnfried 2022
May 01, 2022, 15:14
I'd say (if I can chip in), that if you got those three covered ('Moondawn' being his perhaps weakest offering of the 70's..). Then I'd go first for 'Irrlicht', 'Cyborg' and 'Picture Music' (+ all the Cosmic Jokers/Couriers collaborations, Sand etc..) and then take it from there.

They aren't exactly overflowing out of the bins anymore, but can still (at least for now..) found in rather moderate prices when compared to other Krautrock in general. Don't know about Canada though...
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

May 01, 2022, 15:15
The Seth Man wrote:
Timely, indeed. I never knew an experience like the one I had yesterday.

Which was: constantly listening to a record (in this case: TIMEWIND) 474 times while writing about it. During a break, I was on Twitter and read: "RIP Klaus Schulze."

It was extremely strange reading that because I've been living in a world of near-nonstop Schulze for the past 10 months by bombarding my conscious and subconscious mind with his music.

I've used BLACKDANCE as a driving aid.

I've used TIMEWIND as a device to lower my body temperature and elevate my mind.

I'm currently using another KS album to realign my physical body with my mind though endless repetitions.

I've been researching him heavily, reviewing pictures and fitting together his timeline with the Kunstkopf brothers, Far East Family Band, Stomu Yamashta's Go on top of his own solo career.

Then all the pre-solo work: 1970 Tangerine Dream, 1971-1973 Ash Ra Tempel, all the Cosmic Couriers recordings...His work is stunning AND there is so much of it.

The man started as a drummer in 1967 and ten years later was performing the insanely compelling improvisation "For Barry Graves" live on German TV??!

Oh, and revolutionised electronic music several times over in the same interim.

That man they called Klaus Schulze was a genius. But it's only his physical shell that has expired. His energy is still out there somewhere: now coursing through the universe and residing in his own Wahnfried 2022 but certainly it endureth in all of his recordings.

Truly. Kosmische. Sync!!!!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited May 01, 2022, 17:44
May 01, 2022, 17:37
HI DEN wrote:
I'd say (if I can chip in), that if you got those three covered ('Moondawn' being his perhaps weakest offering of the 70's..). Then I'd go first for 'Irrlicht', 'Cyborg' and 'Picture Music' (+ all the Cosmic Jokers/Couriers collaborations, Sand etc..) and then take it from there.

They aren't exactly overflowing out of the bins anymore, but can still (at least for now..) found in rather moderate prices when compared to other Krautrock in general. Don't know about Canada though...

Just found a German seller on Discogs and grabbed (for average $22 CDN) Irrlicht, Cyborg, Picture Music, Dune, Live, Body Music, Dig It, Mirage, and X, all NM or VG+. Okay, I think I'm good now.

I wouldn't have found all of those together in a lifetime in my city.

I've heard some of the Cosmic Jokers stuff, and it's good, but for the prices out there it's not that good. I would love it if they legit reissued the first Ash Ra LP. I grabbed the Schwingungen reissue, and its fantastic.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

May 01, 2022, 18:03
Citizensmurf wrote:
HI DEN wrote:

Just found a German seller on Discogs and grabbed (for average $22 CDN) Irrlicht, Cyborg, Picture Music, Dune, Live, Body Music, Dig It, Mirage, and X, all NM or VG+. Okay, I think I'm good now.

I've heard some of the Cosmic Jokers stuff, and it's good, but for the prices out there it's not that good. I would love it if they legit reissued the first Ash Ra LP. I grabbed the Schwingungen reissue, and its fantastic.

Alright then!

I rate Cosmic Jokers, 'Tarot' and 'Lord Krishna Von Goloka' highly. But they're either expensive or somewhat difficult to find, sadly true. Then there's also '7 Up' and 'Join In' (AT) and of course the first T-Dream! sand's 'Golem' (a classic!) got official rerelease awhile back, that one shouldn't be too expensive/hard to find.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

May 01, 2022, 18:13
HI DEN wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:
HI DEN wrote:

Alright then!

I rate Cosmic Jokers, 'Tarot' and 'Lord Krishna Von Goloka' highly. But they're either expensive or somewhat difficult to find, sadly true. Then there's also '7 Up' and 'Join In' (AT) and of course the first T-Dream! sand's 'Golem' (a classic!) got official rerelease awhile back, that one shouldn't be too expensive/hard to find.

I have the first TD, found that one a few years ago for decent price, and Golem (reissue). So many of the KRS albums have been priced out of the market for a long time, but TD and KS albums are relatively inexpensive, probably as they were the most popular.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Edited May 03, 2022, 16:52
May 03, 2022, 16:52
Citizensmurf,

You have pretty much scored it all! Great you got BODY LOVE 2 (ADDITIONAL MUSIC FROM). That was the first Klaus Schulze album I ever saw, then purchased. In 1981, copies of the US Island pressing were everywhere in NYC for $2.99. (Already had the Go albums because I -- then, as now -- really liked Traffic and Winwood was part of the floating lineup.) Upon recent re-listen, the second side had some stunning moments I didn't recall at all.

Like a good friend first said to me decades ago, live albums and compilations cap off an era and Schulze's ...LIVE... (1980) is no exception. It's not only commendable but absolutely insane how Schulze kept up with new synthesizer developments. It did wind up impacting not only the sounds he got but the compositions he arranged them in.

As a result of this, the entirely digital DIG IT (1980) is clean and clinical as hell. Even though the prominent drum beats and vocoder vocals derail it somewhat (says the guy that loves Joy Division, MAN MACHINE and COMPUTER WORLD) but the final track has startling passages. Then again, I suppose Schulze could've easily continued with sequencer driven synthesizer albums for the next several years but instead pursued a far more difficult path of experimentation with no guarantees.

When Schulze was "fucked in lippy," (Ash Ra Tempel, TAROT, LORD KRISHNA VON GOLOKA, Cosmic Jokers, IRRLICHT, CYBORG), he could do no wrong: everything he touched was cosmic to the extreme and engaging as fuck forever. Buy it all and listen to it all.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited May 03, 2022, 21:29
May 03, 2022, 21:22
I was just in Berlin last week when KS passed, on a Kosmiche pilgrimage with him on my mind, sporting my TD and KS t-shirts at the time and going through his stuff in the shelves of countless record stores. Didn't hear the news until the night I left. Ironic...

I collected his stuff big time on CD during the Spalax reissue era (all the key 70s releases), and I'm just so overwhelmed by all the reissues with extra tracks that came out later...very daunting and costly to upgrade my collection at this point...I've got my eye on the Timewind reissue in particular - are the extra tracks (Echo of Time) key? I imagine so.

Another daunting prospect is the massive La Vie Electronique series: would love to collect, but where to start, and where to find the funds?

RIP KS
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Edited May 04, 2022, 00:12
May 04, 2022, 00:10
Zariadris,

The bonus track on IRRLICHT (1972)
"Dungeon"(early 1970s) is an excellent early drone piece, much like IRRLICHT/CYBORG.

The bonus track on CYBORG (1973)
"But Beautiful" (Cathédrale St-Michel, Brussels, October 17, 1977)
An amazing live improvisation that runs for 50:55.

The bonus tracks on BLACKDANCE (1974) are both from 1976 and are excellent, especially "Synthies Have (No) Balls."
"Foreplay" (10:33)
"Synthies Have (No) Balls?" (14:42)

The bonus tracks on TIMEWIND (1975):
"Echoes Of Time" (38:42) base track used in "Bayreuth Return" (1975)
"Solar Wind" (12:35) the second part was used in "Wahnfried 1883" (1975)
"Windy Times" (4:57) Is a track recorded in 2000.

The bonus track on MOONDAWN (1976):
"Floating Sequence" (21:09) appears to be a run through, possibly used as the base track for "Floating." I can listen to KS sequencer-based material forever, so this was a welcome surprise.

The bonus track on "X" (1978):
"Objet D'Louis" (21:32) (Kursall, Oostende, Belgium, September 29, 1978)
This was the concert where you can see images of KS on his "X" platformed shaggy rug stage right with Wolfgang Tiepold on cello centerstage: https://www.klaus-schulze.com/photos/7804.htm
Features a very intense section featuring mellotron and cello that is unbelievable. Yes, Klaus Schulze on mellotron. That man was gifted from the start. (Several people from the audience that night have commented online on the quality of this performance and judging from this track, I don't think they were kidding.)

Live, Schulze was a force to be reckoned with -- even in the late seventies.

When it comes to how you might actually pay for all this... Alas, I cannot help you. (and I'm not even mentioning the ones on PICTURE MUSIC, BODY LOVE, BODY LOVE 2, etc.) Might be worthwhile to check out on YT first, live with it a while you save up.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited May 04, 2022, 07:20
May 04, 2022, 07:18
Wow. HUGELY appreciated Seth Man. I'll use this guide as a roadmap and probably start with Cyborg.

One more thing...I got an early CD reissue of Moondawn (I forget the label, but not Spalax, rather the folks who reissued Mirage around the same time), later to read in Audion (or somewhere) that it's not the same mix as the original. Any thoughts?

Z
The Seth Man
1242 posts

May 04, 2022, 13:49
Zariadris wrote:
Wow. HUGELY appreciated Seth Man. I'll use this guide as a roadmap and probably start with Cyborg.

One more thing...I got an early CD reissue of Moondawn (I forget the label, but not Spalax, rather the folks who reissued Mirage around the same time), later to read in Audion (or somewhere) that it's not the same mix as the original. Any thoughts?

Z

Zariadris,
Yes, the 1991 CD issues on the Brain and Thunderbolt labels were pressed from masters Schulze had overdubbed mellotron and extra reverb onto in order to cover up tape hiss, apparently. The tracks were also shortened -- again, (I think) in a bid to eliminate tape hiss.

"Floating" original time: 27:15 (26:53 on the 1991 issues)
"Mindphaser" original time: 25:22 (25:05 on the 1991 issues)

CD versions produced since (Japan 1995, Germany 2005, Japan 2007, EU 2016, Japan 2018) contain the original version.

(Note: although extremely expensive, the recent Japanese issues of Schulze's seventies back catalogue on Arcangelo (2007) and the SHM-CD series on Belle Antique (2018) sound so fantastic that it borders on the occult.)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index