Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
valis23
valis23
111 posts

Re: Wahnfried 2022
May 23, 2022, 20:55
The Seth Man wrote:
Timely, indeed. I never knew an experience like the one I had yesterday.

Which was: constantly listening to a record (in this case: TIMEWIND) 474 times while writing about it. During a break, I was on Twitter and read: "RIP Klaus Schulze."

It was extremely strange reading that because I've been living in a world of near-nonstop Schulze for the past 10 months by bombarding my conscious and subconscious mind with his music.

I've used BLACKDANCE as a driving aid.

I've used TIMEWIND as a device to lower my body temperature and elevate my mind.

I'm currently using another KS album to realign my physical body with my mind though endless repetitions.

I've been researching him heavily, reviewing pictures and fitting together his timeline with the Kunstkopf brothers, Far East Family Band, Stomu Yamashta's Go on top of his own solo career.

Then all the pre-solo work: 1970 Tangerine Dream, 1971-1973 Ash Ra Tempel, all the Cosmic Couriers recordings...His work is stunning AND there is so much of it.

The man started as a drummer in 1967 and ten years later was performing the insanely compelling improvisation "For Barry Graves" live on German TV??!

Oh, and revolutionised electronic music several times over in the same interim.

That man they called Klaus Schulze was a genius. But it's only his physical shell that has expired. His energy is still out there somewhere: now coursing through the universe and residing in his own Wahnfried 2022 but certainly it endureth in all of his recordings.

I only barely knew his records, despite knowing well his name. Based on your post I ordered Blackdance and Timewind. The former hasn't arrived yet, but I was able to give Timewind a solid, mushroom-assisted listen yesterday. There was a moment - somewhere in my head - where Klaus suddenly turned his car around and was driving the wrong way down a German country road through rain and gale-force winds. Despite the weather, he had his window open and his arm casually hanging out the car as he raced to get back to where he was again headed. The mirrored aviators were a nice touch. It was a fantastic experience - and it's a freaky little album. Emotionally, there aren't obvious signposts that I can identify. The music/sound moves within and around itself. A layer of this in contrast to a layer of that. Forgive my caveman depiction, but I'm grateful for the guidance towards this album and the other.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

May 24, 2022, 03:48
valis23,
No need to apologise for any depiction, caveman or otherwise. In time, your feelings towards TIMEWIND will clarity so please enjoy it in the meantime.

I'm glad I was able to guide you towards Klaus Schulze's BLACKDANCE and TIMEWIND. They are truly amazing albums.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

May 26, 2022, 16:23
Seth

Once again, great write up for Moondawn.

You working your way through his catalogue?
Ziggy-punk
1 posts

May 26, 2022, 17:47
I totally love Dig It. I actually like it because of way the beats and disappear. Schulze will find a way to draw you in. Spectacular record.
valis23
valis23
111 posts

May 27, 2022, 05:20
The Seth Man wrote:
valis23,
No need to apologise for any depiction, caveman or otherwise. In time, your feelings towards TIMEWIND will clarity so please enjoy it in the meantime.

I'm glad I was able to guide you towards Klaus Schulze's BLACKDANCE and TIMEWIND. They are truly amazing albums.

I've been putting Timewind on once a day since I got it, just absorbing it at whatever volume level works for my wife and our dog, depending. And my copy of Blackdance arrived today from Germany, so that's tomorrow's toast and tea record.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

May 27, 2022, 14:46
Excellent. Enjoy!
The Seth Man
1242 posts

May 27, 2022, 15:06
Thanks, Citizensmurf.

It was my intention to review the KS trifecta in order to increase interest in his somewhat underappreciated back catalogue. Right before completion of my review of TIMEWIND, his death made this somewhat unnecessary.

But with MOONDAWN already on deck and well past the research phase, I felt a responsibility to press on. With that accomplished, I'm already on to other things.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Re: MOONDAWN
Jun 07, 2022, 14:08
The Seth Man wrote:
HI DEN wrote:
Most of the time I've bought records from Germany they've been packed with first rate examples of German thoroughness and efficiency.

I got a reel to reel from there though, that was so full of rust, cobwebs and dead spiders that a tech friend of mine (specialized in tape recorders for around 50 years) said that he's never seen anything like that.

Most of the freebie records (used to make the package sturdier) that I've received have been total mind numbing garbage with dull covers. But that looks hilarious. Is it any good..?

Same here,man: all records I've ever received from Germany have been packed with extreme care.

I still can't believe someone sent records overseas in a SACK. But that is a step up from when someone I know packing taped several Ten Years After records together, wrote his address and put stamps on the front cover of WATT and mailed it off as is. Hahahahaha

The Little Annie Fanny rip off on the cover was the best thing. My German has been rusty for years, so I don't think that I could catch the subtle differences in Hochdeutsch vs Plattdeutsch regarding words for parts of the female anatomy. I think a Dutch-speaking, middle-aged Sumatran woman would have as much luck "getting" the humour of a Cheech & Chong album.

With that said, I chucked it in recycling as it was scratched to hell. Like the last dozen records I got as packing material (all Mantovani, Johnny Mathis-grade detritus.) Seems like sellers are using them more often.

I took a delivery of a synthesizer (from a retailer...) that was packed only in few layers of cling film. But at least the address was written on top of the film, and not on the synth...

Well, that figures. But at least it provided some sort of intrigue and eye candy. When compared to the usual suspects (that do not, at all)...

On a side note, or actually going back to the original subject that is Klaus Schulze:

You convinced me in listening MOONDAWN with a new set of ears (yet to happen, as I'm going back to listening KS soon)... Hahaha!

For some reason that one never properly opened up for me (mind, I've only heard the cd), I remember it being somewhat of a letdown when I first heard it ages ago, after thinking that the cover looked intriguing and cool enough.

Now that I think of it, it was probably one of the first solo KS recordings that I heard (if not first, for that was "Wahnfried 1883" on a [weird] compilation..). And that was after I'd already experienced much of his (for me..), in some sense more in your face/easier to approach contributions on the Ash Ra Tempel and Cosmic Jokers releases that obviously had seriously altered my expectations (and then reading Cope not appreciating it in the KRS..).

And not to say that Solo Schulze wouldn't be in your face or actually quite approachable too. But in general, on a first listen, that stuff sounded way more difficult to penetrate and appreciate (perhaps because it's intensity and denseness, on a vibe, or any level. But perhaps also because it is somewhat minimalistic music and at the same time very busy, but in a strangely specific/manneristic way. And that might not first gel with everyone, if one is not willing to "accept the artists metaphor"..?). Actually weird because, for example AFFENSTUNDE, IN DEN GĂ„RTEN PHARAOHS, ZEIT and ATEM gripped me immediately first I heard them. But since that I've grown up to do so, I'd say that the rewards are more than proportionate to those challenges... These days KS rates through the roof in my book.

Then again, what actually then soon drew me to solo KS was IRRLICHT and it's heaviness and seeming impenetrability.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Re: MOONDAWN
Jun 11, 2022, 20:34
HI DEN,

Er...yeah!

Truly, MOONDAWN is a slowburner and for me: still a killer album. Like so many of his albums.

Good luck with the new synthesizer! Cling film, eh? I received an album a couple of months ago that was mailed from the continent wrapped with so much Saran Wrap cling film that it looked like a cocoon. Set the record for most minutes spent unpacking an album (24 minutes.)
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Psychic Powerless
Jun 13, 2022, 18:34
The Seth Man wrote:
In a sack?? I never!

It's great when you get an order with a completely disposable album used for extra packing. I recently ordered an album from Germany and this LP was used as padding:

https://www.discogs.com/ja/release/17094453-Various-Lachen-Ist-Die-Beste-Medizin-100-Medizinerwitze-Am-Laufenden-Band

Translates to "Laughter Is The Best Medicine." A German comedy album. What a dichotomy.

My order came today, and it was packed normally. Lps outside of the jacket, nice thick poly sleeves, and bubble wrapped. Germany is back on my good side, for now
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index