Record Player Advice

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
WinoHGT
11 posts

Re: Record Player Advice
Jan 24, 2021, 14:51
Cheers! Good to be onboard.

Yes still not cheap but the first generation MR1 might be picked up cheaper second hand.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 15:04
I think they were still around the £300 mark but I'll keep looking
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 15:16
RCA to USB lead! Gah! I didn't think of that! I've been trying to rip some cassettes to mp3 for ages with no luck! I'll get a new lead and sort that out

I think with ripping the onus os on a built-in port these days, but that's not always been the best connection. The LP3 does look good, it's either that or the Dual DT250 at the moment.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2021, 20:30
Jan 24, 2021, 20:27
As per review, this one looks to be the same as the Lidl Dual, just rebadged as the chap said. £82 quid plus postage.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/IMG-STAGELINE-DJP-104USB-Turntable/art-DJE0002192-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=5G_AqJarZwoAAAFl0FZyjI8V&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCdAG4sNzyRo8dqIH0b27E6XWZFelZUtbyGgNCWCR2551QBs4vXSDU4aApqNEALw_wcB

Or this one for a little more (£122 + Vat and Postage)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/american_audio_ttd_2400_usb.htm?glp=1
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 20:57
It's an external soundcard I use.They are about £15-20. Has left and right RCA inputs and outputs with USB you plug into computer/ laptop. Plug the RCA you would plug into your amp from the turntable into it and have the outputs going to a spare channel in your amp. You need to make sure the sound input via the computer settings is stereo though. Test it is going into Audacity in stereo (the panning at the end of Interstellar Overdrive or something obvious).
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 22:36
hmm, thanks, two more to look at!
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Jan 24, 2021, 23:44
Before having a similar external soundcard (still going strong, thank you Mr Sulcus!), I used to just have the turntable connected to my amp and use a phono-to-stereo-jack lead running from the amps 'send to tape deck'-type sockets. There are probably reasons not to do this, but it does mean that the signal goes through the 'stage' in the amp that puts the turntable signal up to line volume, with no need for a separate pre-amp (such as external sound cards tend to have).

Thinking about it, if you're going to have to use an amp/pre-amp anyhow, I'm really not sure why this shouldn't be the hi-fi amp you already have.

Similar with tapes. A phono-to-stereo-jack, direct from the tape deck 'send to amp' output to the soundcard mic socket ... this as tape deck output is already at line volume.
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jan 25, 2021, 08:16
Good point but my my line in on the laptop is mono so I have to use the external soundcard to bypass the built in soundcard.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Feb 13, 2021, 11:36
Ah, Audacity! I'm having problems with. I'm trying to use it on mac to rip tape and records to mp3, all I'm getting is background noise as it's recording from the built-in mic. The sound of me coughing and swearing isn't particularly that interesting
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2021, 17:03
Feb 13, 2021, 17:02
I used to channel everything through my hifi system amp and then use the headphone out on the amp to plug into my laptop mic input for using audacity, and monitor the sound through headphones using the laptop headphone jack. Audacity does has built in noise reduction that you can implement after you've recorded what you want, but I generally just put up with a bit of hiss tbh, esp. with tapes. I use the amps bass/treble to sculpt the sound to something I like prior t recording. I did have a problem on an old laptop with Audacity. It just stopped working. Even uninstalling/reinstalling never worked for some reason, it just decided it didn't like the programme. It had worked fine for years prior to that...guess the laptop got glitchy. Prob not much help to you, but there's usually a workaround.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index