Record Player Advice

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Record Player Advice
Jan 22, 2021, 21:30
Since moving last year I've rediscovered my old records again (they weren't lost, just unplayed) however feeling the need for a new record player Has anyone any experience of Audio Technica? I've been looking at the LP120 but undecided yet, I need a USB connection and on a budget.
Joe Kenney
Joe Kenney
169 posts

Re: Record Player Advice
Jan 22, 2021, 22:41
Hello Captain, take my advice and go retro. For 20 years I used modern turntables, basic plastic fantastic ones with auto functionality and etc. Finally I decided to upgrade. I too looked up the AT LP120, even went into a store and inspected one. But then I did some research and discovered that, when it comes to spinning vinyl, vintage is considered best -- unless you want to spend $$$ for a "good" new one. The 120LP had too many bad reviews for me, though I did like the cool "reverse play" trick it has. Also learned it was mostly "Chinese guts" on the inside (an online reviewer's claim, not mine), whereas real vintage ones are built like friggin' Sherman tanks.

I researched older TTs and got hooked on a Pioneer PL-518. Just loved the look and the design of it. Plus it had auto return, so wasn't fully manual like the 120LP. It's almost as old as I am, from 1978 or so. But those suckers are built to last. I found some blog where some dude repaired a PL-518 from a resale store and compared it to a 120LP and etc and the Pioneer was better across the board. I ended up getting mine from a seller on eBay for $250. About the same price as a 120LP...you can find other vintage models cheaper I'm sure, but the PL-518 seems to be in high demand. I got mine two years ago and it was like falling in love with vinyl all over again...I think I've gotten about 200 new LPs in that time, and I already had a lot!

I can also suggest the Nagaoka MP-110 for your cartridge setup...pairs great with the 518 and I believe with the 120LP as well, as it prefers a heavier tonearm, which both models have. You can get the MP-110H, which comes with headshell for easy setup, but FYI you'll have to play vinyl with the lid up if you do get a PL-518 -- the finger cue on this headshell is the highest I've ever seen, and prevents the auto return from engaging if you play a record with the lid down.

Anyway these are just my thoughts -- have fun getting back into vinyl!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jan 23, 2021, 10:46
Thanks, Joe, that's really helpful. I will look again. I actually forgot about the auto-return, which is a big bonus for me as I keep forgetting what I'm playing.

My current TT is part of an old midi system I had years ago, the system died but the TT was separate, so I kept it. I really need an upgrade though as it's had its day now and getting a bit tired.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 23, 2021, 15:42
Captain Starlet wrote:
Thanks, Joe, that's really helpful. I will look again. I actually forgot about the auto-return, which is a big bonus for me as I keep forgetting what I'm playing.

My current TT is part of an old midi system I had years ago, the system died but the TT was separate, so I kept it. I really need an upgrade though as it's had its day now and getting a bit tired.

I concur about a vintage player. I have a Thorens TD166 downstairs and a Dual 1225 upstairs. I'm at that point in my life where I need two setups, as my teenage daughter takes over the basement often. Dual has auto start and return, what a convenience.

If you need connectivity to your computer, there are converters out there, or receivers that have phono and usb.

Good luck.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jan 23, 2021, 15:49
All my set up is old school. I've been trying to rip to mp3 some bits but no luck, I think I need a different lead, after much swearing at Audacity!

Thanks, I'll take a look at that one too! I think the main reason I have been looking at new ones is because of the USB connection and my lack of patience regarding anything I have to plug in!

My current player is the Sony PS-LX56, which is very basic and was part of a midi system about 20 odd years ago. It needs a replacement.
WinoHGT
11 posts

Jan 23, 2021, 19:36
My first post so evening all.... read your posts for years and tried to sign up years ago and failed...

I’ve just set up a second system for my dinning room I went rega P1 plus which has a built in pre amp so hooked it up with my Ruark MR1. It’s simple no thrills and sounds great for a kitchen diner set up. Lack of clutter a big plus!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jan 23, 2021, 19:54
If you're on a budget, saw a review of a Dual turntable from lidl for for £89.
The reviewer was a bit of a turntable head and thought it ok for a starter unit. Has USB too.

Link to review.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28lHS0r5cIw
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2021, 20:25
Jan 23, 2021, 20:19
I was looking at those earlier, The Dual DT250. Lidl isn't doing those anymore (never do here anyway) but looks like someone brought a few and now selling them online for around £150

The other I was just looking at is the Teac TN175 for £130 https://www.richersounds.com/teac-tn175-black.html but I can't find many reviews for it
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jan 23, 2021, 20:25
I have been looking at those but a bit out of my giro based price range at the moment!

Welcome to HH btw!
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Jan 23, 2021, 23:36
If it is any help I am on the same sort of budget as you and recently purchased an Audio Technica AT-LP-3 for £150. All auto and good cartridge set up. Took a bit of setting up the tone arm counter weights etc. Has anti-skate which is useful and built in pre-amp. I am happy with it so far. It does not have USB but I have stereo phono/RCA to USB converter which works perfectly with Audacity. I had a lower budget one previously with USB but could only rip directly to mp3 through the USB. I like to be able to save to WAV. You can have fun on Audacity with removing pops etc...

What Hi-Fi review
https://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/lp3/review

I got mine from AV Online but I notice it is now back up to £199. However, Richer Sounds say they have it for £150 (it was out of stock there though in September when I was looking to purchase) - so if you go down that road I would phone them to check.

Good luck finding a new turntable!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index