Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Jun 27, 2020, 15:55
Re: Cope Dinger feud
Jun 27, 2020, 15:53
phallus dei wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:

Seems like there are some pages missing. No way that was the only exchange, and 6 months later? I believe this is only half the story.

Think I've worked out the timeline a bit - in between Dinger's fax and Cope's reply, Dinger also released NEU! 4, where in the liner notes he laments "a growing worldwide bootleg campaign including a certain Julian Cope wearing an illegal NEU! t-shirt on BBC's Top of the Pops."

I'm assuming Cope got NEU! 4, was excited about hearing it, but then felt totally repulsed by the 80s sound, and, after seeing himself slagged off in the liner notes to boot, thought, "To hell with the crazy old geezer". Although Cope's fax to Dinger was harsh, it makes sense somewhat considering how much Cope loved the music, and no doubt thought he was doing his unsung hero a major favor. It's like, "This is the thanks I get?"

There was one more slight update to the Cope / Dinger feud - in the liner notes for NEU! 72 Live in Dusseldorf, Dinger announced a contest inviting his fans to record themselves singing over the instrumental music. The winner would receive a broken NEU! 4 CD sent to Dinger by "Julian Copy".

Yes, clearly there was some back and forth. Also I recall some quote where Cope says "Dinger, you're a donger." If anyone hasn't realized Cope can have a nasty side to him, its all true. Is Dinger all good either, of course not. I know in our age of socialized media, private comments are made into headlines, but in the 90s this was a private exchange between two egotistical twats. I love em both, so get over it.

Unsung Forum Index