13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Edited Jun 02, 2020, 11:02
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 May 2020 CE
Jun 02, 2020, 11:00
Yeah, Horse Rotorvator was my Coil 'in' too. Then I went on to get as much as I could. Pre web, that was a difficult task. Singles/albums/comp tracks could come and go and you'd be non the wiser till months after the fact when you'd read a snippet in whatever fanzine you picked up in the local gig/diskery. Thankfully, there was a good tape swapping scene back then, so even if you didn't own the actual artifact, you could still get to hear it. That followed on after with CDr's too, there was always a very sharing community around Coil, and i'm glad of it, cos' some of those rarer titles could command silly money (some still do despite almost all of it being available to hear or for DL on the Coil Live Archive. One of my fav collections by them is the out-takes album Gold Is The Metal (With The Broadest Shoulders) which came after HR but before LSD. Some great versions and oddities on there.

I think the problem I had/have with Burning World is that at the time I loved the 'heavy' Swans (still prefer them truth be told). Parts of Children Of God / World Of Skin were sonically heading in the Burning World Direction, but it wasn't/isn't one particularly care for. If I recall, the'd signed to MCA or something for this album, so I felt they toned it down big time for the majors. I think I attended a gig for he Burning World tour before the album had even been released if I remember correctly, and the whistfullness of the songs kinda blindsided me when I was looking forward to being volumatically pummelled into submission as at prvious gigs. Plus, if I'm honest, i thnk it's quite a weak Swans album, always seem to phase out whilst listening to it, it doesn't engage me like some others do.

I've a massive soft spot fer Ozrics. Being on the festival/free festival/fruit picking circuit many years ago I have many fond memories of gatherings where they rocked up and played alongside bands like The Ullulators or Nik turner or on occasion Hawkwind. Plus, let's not forget they are stunning musicians. The (over?) production on some records can be a little annoying, but gotta forgive em' cos' of so many good times. Think they rocked up at Glasto one year 92/93? alongside the Orb, Primal Scream during the whole Screamadelica period and Gary Clail and Orbital somewhere about...great year (except for the brutal sunburn I got watching Attila the Stockbroker in the comedy tent) good times, good times! Massively impressed you got to play with em', I'm a teeny bit jealous :)

Unsung Forum Index