Between - And The Waters Opened

Monophonics - It's Only Us

Bob Dylan - Tempest

Shocking Blue - st

Shocking Blue - At Home

Shocking Blue - Scorpio's Dance

Shocking Blue - 3rd

Shocking Blue - Live In Japan

Shocking Blue - The Best of Shocking Blue (Connoisseur Collection)

Out Of Focus - Wake Up

Out Of Focus - st

Agitation Free - 2nd

Utopia (Germany) - st

Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei

Amon Düül II - Yeti

Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemminge

Amon Düül II - Carnival In Babylon

Amon Düül II - Wolf City

Amon Düül II - Vive La Trance

Amon Düül II - Hijack

Amon Düül II - Revisited Bonus Tracks Compilation (2cdr)

Paul Weller - Modern Classics

Mozart - Symphonies Nos. 6-10 Northern Chamber Orchestra, Nicholas Ward
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 May 2020 CE
May 31, 2020, 09:22
Free ‘Songs Of Yesterday’
Bryan Ferry ‘Bete Noire’
Talk Talk ‘The Colour Of Spring’
Killswitch Engage ‘The End Of Heartache’
The Clash S/T
Morrissey ‘I Am Not A Dog On A Chain’
Deep Purple ‘This Time Around’
Paice Ashton Lord ‘Malice In Wonderland’
John Martyn ‘Piece By Piece’
Nick Drake ‘Pink Moon’
AC/DC ‘Highway To Hell’
UFO ‘Making Contact’
Jethro Tull ‘Stand Up’
Mick Abrahams ‘A Musical Evening With The Mick Abrahams Band’
Johnny Kidd ‘Shakin’ All Over’ 45
John Lunn & Eivor ‘The Last Kingdom’
John Coltrane ‘Coltrane’ (Impulse)
Benjamin Moussay ‘Promontoire’
Louis Sclavis ‘Characters on a Wall’
Keith Jarrett ‘In The Light’
Don Cherry ‘Symphony for Improvisers’
Jan Garbarek Group ‘Photo With...’
Sibelius: Symphonies 4 & 6 (LSO/Colin Davis)
Mahler: Symphony no.2 (NYPO/Bernstein)
Dvorak: Symphony no.9 (BPO/Karajan)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony no.4 (Philharmonia/Schippers)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony no.5 (New Philh/Stokowski)
Kubelik: Four Pieces for Strings (ECO/Kubelik)
Dvorak: Serenade for Strings (Slovak CO/Warschal)
Smetana: Blanik (Czech PO/Kosler)
Suk: A Summer’s Tale (Berlin RSO/Hrusu)
Mozart: Vesperae solemnes de Dominica, K 321 (LSO/Colin Davis)
Mozart: Symphony no.40 (VPO/Bernstein)
Mozart: Requiem (BRSO/Bernstein)
Hindemith: Konzertmusik, Op.49 (Haas/BPO/Hindemith)
Webern: Variations, Op.27 (Charles Rosen)
Webern: Three Little Pieces for Cello & Piano, Op.11 (Piatigorsky/Rosen)
Arnold Cooke: Viola Sonata (Morgan Goff & Raphael Terroni)
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op.22, 26 & 57 (Vladimir Ashkenazy)
Beethoven: Piano Sonata Op.90 (Ivor Levit)
Bach: Cantata ‘O Eternal Fire, O Source of Love’ BWV 34 (Karl Richter)
Schumann: Dichterliebe (Fischer-Dieskau/Eschenbach)
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

May 31, 2020, 11:03
The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl (mono) / Fifty Big Ones

David Bowie - Love You Till Tuesday / S/t (Space Oddity) / Ziggy Stardust (The Motion Picture OST) / Blackstar

Broadcast & The Focus Group - Investigating Witch Cults In The Radio Age

Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark / The Remote Viewer / Copenhagen 16-10-02

Credence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country / Green River

The Cure - Faith / Seventeen Seconds

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue / Sketches Of Spain

Dr Strangely Strange - Kip Of The Serene

Bob Dylan - Planet Waves / Desire / Blood On The Tracks

Earth Opera - The Great American Tragedy (mono)

Marianne Faithful - Broken English

John Foxx - Metamatic / The Garden

From Nursery To Misery - Pixies In The Woods

Hawkwind - Space Ritual / The Hall Of The Mountain Grill / Warrior On The Edge Of Time

Martin Newell - The Spirit Cage / Songs From The Station Hotel / Radio Autumn Attic / A Summer Tamarind
Cleaners From Venus - Living With Victoria Grey (The Very Best Of) / Dolly Birds & Spies

The Peppermint Trolley Company - S/t

Pink Floyd - More / Zabriskie Point (soniclovenoize) / The Massed Gadgets Of Auximines (Amsterdam 1969) / The Final Cut

Psychic TV - Live In Reyjavik (1983) / Live In Gottingen (1984) / Live In Heaven (1984) / Live In Tokyo (1986)

Rudimentary Peni - Death Church / EPs (S/t & Farce)

Pharoah Sanders - Village Of The Pharoahs / Wisdom Through Music / Live At The East / Elevation

The Velvet Underground - Loaded / S/t (MGM Special comp LP)

Jane Weaver - Loops In The Secret Society

The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle / R.I.P. (soniclovenoize) / Into The Afterlife
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

May 31, 2020, 11:31
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail

The Beatles - White Album
The Beatles - Hey Jude

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Chris Isaak - San Francisco Days
Chris Isaak - Forever Blue

REM - Fables Of The Reconstruction

BC Camplight - Deportation Blues

Bob Dylan - Tempest
Bob Dylan - Shadows In The Night
Bob Dylan - Fallen Angels
Bob Dylan - Triplicate
Bob Dylan - Murder Most Foul

Boney M - Nightflight To Venus

Heaven 17 - Penthouse & Pavement
Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap
Heaven 17 - How Men Are

Popol Vuh - For You And Me
Popol Vuh - City Raga
Popol Vuh - Shepherd's Symphony

ELO - Complete Singles Collection

La Düsseldorf - Individuellos
Klaus Dinger - Neondian (La Düsseldorf 4)

Walter Wegmüller - Tarot

The Apples In Stereo - Travellers In Space & Time
woolybacque
woolybacque
42 posts

May 31, 2020, 14:00
Kevin Ayers & Gong - Peel sesh 1971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB6_GlptvPY&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3V2fGPC5SKKqNHTzm2iDorDZvk1qwgoiTuZ-2pGKmXNdZ-su3EkWzh2BM
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Edited May 31, 2020, 21:36
May 31, 2020, 21:35
The Seeds – Raw & Alive In Concert At Merlin's Music Box
The Rolling Stones – Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
Jimmy Campbell - Half Baked
Various – Glastonbury Fayre - The Electric Score
Hamilton Bohannon – Keep On Dancin'
New York Dolls – New York Dolls
Metro – Metro
Larry Martin Factory - Early Dawn Flyers and Electric Kids
Various – Live Stiffs Live
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

May 31, 2020, 22:36
Zombi – 2020. They’re back! Electro-rock duo go a bit doom metal on this new one, alongside the usual Goblin/Carpenter/Rush vibe: https://zombi.bandcamp.com/album/2020

Mong Tong – Mystery. Lo-fi sampledelica from Taiwan, bit like Sun Araw in places, not bad: https://mongtongggb.bandcamp.com/album/mystery

Schizo Fun Addict – The Last Wave. Blimey, that’s an awful name, but this is quite a nice album in a dreamy indie psych style. Nothing online from this album, but they do a great version of ‘Theme One’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEKPuLwYjI

Electric Moon – You Can See The Sound Of… German space rock trio do their thing, reliable vibes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-snDGPDIw

Ohmme – Fantasize Your Ghost. Quirky indie female duo, some agreeably edgy moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9E9ngQ9lVI

No Age – Goons Be Gone

Modern Nature – Annual

Mantis – s/t. Re-release of obscure Canadian prog AOR album from 1973, surprisingly good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzu7wqBiPk

Groundhogs – Hogwash
keith a
9573 posts

Jun 01, 2020, 16:28
Sleepless – Immersion
I only got round to getting this 2018 release recently for some reason. For the uninitiated it is Colin Newman & Malka Spigel returning to their 90's instrumental / electronic guise. I think it was labelled 'dance music' back then. It isn't. But everything like this got called that back then! Anyway, this really is very good. Check out the title track!

Straight Songs Of Sorrow – Mark Lanegan
The album that accompanies his recently published autobiography, Sing Backwards And Weep. Wow. That doesn't didn't pull any punches. Lanegan isn't just a great singer, he can clearly write, too. He's lived a life as well. And he tells us all about it with both honesty and a lack of self-pity. Sure other people upset him but Lanegan is increasingly his own worst enemy, ravaged by an addiction that literally results in him being on his knees. Along the way there are some great anecdotes about other musicians, friends or otherwise. Compelling and hugely entertaining, too.

Rock Sutra – Sun Araw
I was a big fan of those earlier releases like Heavy Deeds, but kinda lost touch for a while. I bought the last one recently and that hasn't blown me away and this, the new one, hasn't either, going off in a slightly different direction that isn't really doing it for me. Not yet anyway.

Walls Have Ears – Transglobal Underground
First TGU album in a while I think. Some really great things here, not least Chant Sans Addresse which is probably the track I have most enjoyed listening to this week.

Also...
Fur Immer – DAF
S/T – The Detroit Spinners
Babylon – Dr John
Mantovani & Friends – V/A
Revolutionary Spirit (The Sound Of Liverpool 1976-1988) - V/A
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Edited Jun 01, 2020, 18:06
Jun 01, 2020, 17:48
Coupla Weeks worth here...don't seem to listen to as much music in 'lockdown' as I used to....don't get the chance really, plus middle of last week my very old Akai CD player 'phuzed' out, so had great fun digging out a bunch of old cassettes to fill the void. Managed to score an old Sony DVD/SACD player for no money off ebay, so hopefully CD situ will be sorted later this week. I don't need audiophile quality these days, I'm half deaf + tinnitus = not a lot of discernment between Ok I'm happy with that and great sounding electronics.
Ennyways.... to business....

Thipe - Lepore Extrusion
Eno - Thursday Afternoon/ ...Tiger Mountain
P.I.L. - Metal Box
Bauhaus - The Sky's Gone Out
If there was one record that was a springboard to many more musical excavations as a young teen, for me. it was this album. I'd not heard anything like it back in 1982. Not having older siblings, and having parents a generation or two older than my mates (my dad was in the RAF in Burma during WWII.) I had to pretty much picked stuff up I liked myself (with massive helps from Peel's show it must be said). This album (through reading interviews with the band amongst other things) led me to Bowie, Iggy, Velvets, Eno and all ways West from there. Still one of my all time topitty records. Now I'm an old fart, I'd say this release was more akin to a prog album than the 'goth' tab that got hung around their bony necks at the time. I really do think it's an unsung masterpiece, though I'm probably in an audience of one there ;)
Coil - Horse Rotorvator, Scatology , Stolen And Contaminated Songs, Timemachines
Motorhead - Overkill Live Aylesbury 79'
Second Part of the Overkill Remaster/Reissue package...fine stuff too. Lemmy on fine form between songs, and he seems genuinely chuffed to have an audience...he's on fine fettle. God bless Ya Fella!
Fu Manchu - King Of the Road
Ozric Tentacles - Live Atlanta 1994 (Tape)
Bowies, Loads on shuffle
Doors - Ditto
Slint - Spiderland
P J Harvey - Dry, Rid Of Me, Four Track Demos
I'd not really put it together in my head till this week that parts of 'Rid Of Me' owe a great deal to the timings and sonics of Spiderland (and I read this week that she apparently wrote off to do female backing vocals on the Spiderland sessions, but never heard back from Slint fact fans....guess her 'career' may have taken a mucho different course if this had come off). I was also thinking that Dry was well overdue a remaster, when low and behold, an email from Norman's dropped in my inbox stating just that...funny how life works.
Prince - Purple Rain
I'd not played this tape in the looooongest time. Probably since I was dating the girl I was trying to impress with my love of Prince back in 85' (shhh, don't tell, but I didn't really like him that much...though weirdly I did end up sitting through the 'Under a Cherry Moon' flik, bought (and quite enjoyed) Parade, went to see him live for Sign 'O' The times (very enjoyable) plus bought the album...ditto Lovesexy, and Around the World In A Day). In fact, there were several females I ended up dating that fer reasons I couldn't fathom, who just luuuurved Prince to death, alongside loving The Cult, Sisters Of Mercy, Bauhaus et al.... Anyway, I enjoyed it waaay more than I was expecting, so ordered the 2CD remaster to embarass myself further.
Swans - The Burning World
I hated this on release, then I kinda liked it a bit, now I hate it all over again. Funny how we move in cycles
ADULT - Perception is...
Y'know. Sometimes electronic music just gets places a guitar can't. The Bass, The freqs, The Rez, just ARRRGGGGH I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
Stephen Malkmus - Traditional Techniques
This has gotten under my skin big time. It's a fairly understated record, with just enough of a nod to Pavementesque tones, but with a subline 60's /early 70's vibe can't quite pin down. Love it, esp during these sweltering afternoons in the yard. Fav track is opener 'ACC kiritan' a lovely 'ragaesque' vibe to it. https://stephenmalkmus.bandcamp.com/album/traditional-techniques
Iggy - Live Rainbow 1977

That's about it. Keep well everyone!

Oh, recently read in The Grud that Andy Gill's missus thinks he may have been an early victim of Covid. Apparently the band had not long gotten back from China back in November when he fell ill, along with tour manager who also had respiratory problems :(
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/01/spate-of-possible-uk-coronavirus-cases-from-2019-come-to-light
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/28/andy-gill-gang-of-four-to-release-guitarists-final-recordings
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Edited Jun 01, 2020, 22:36
Jun 01, 2020, 22:35
Quite a selection there - lots of stuff I frequently turn back to... Agreed "Sky's Gone Out" is there best. I caught onto Bauhaus at the time but only really had a few singles and that double comp LP. Always loved that "All We Ever Wanted" - found it so Bowiesque - but a couple of years back I heard the whole SGO album and was in awe - def bits of prog in there. Nice as always to see Coil in there (esp Horse Rotorvator - I fell in love with them when I got that at the time and that Stolen and Contaminated is one of their best comps). I was digging out some early PiL this morning and will no doubt get the box out some time this week.

I shouldn't really but I still love Swans Burning World - not as much as the album before (COG) and the two after (White Light & Love Of Life) - it may act as an interlude between these albums. They did not suit being on a major label and that production but some great songs nonetheless.

Don't see the Ozrics much here - good to see them too. A blast fromn the past - supported them on their first Scottish gig away 30 years ago ... Have a good week, Gary
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index