Drifting away from Cope and trying to get back

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Makkr
307 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2020, 15:38
Re: Drifting away from Cope and trying to get back
Jan 20, 2020, 15:38
You were front of stage at the infamous 84 Hammersmith Palais gig?
Wow. You lucky so and so.
Mocked Turtle
8 posts

Edited Jan 21, 2020, 01:02
Jan 20, 2020, 22:26
Makkr wrote:
You were front of stage at the infamous 84 Hammersmith Palais gig?
Wow. You lucky so and so.

Indeed, I was (sorry!).
It made up for narrowly missing out on seeing the Teardrops & XTC, another band who I obsessed with around the time.

Obviously, it was a very long time ago, but I remember it well. I went alone, my mates either weren’t into any bands yet or liked Madness. I got there seriously early, it was sparse when I arrived. I’d just bought every piece of merchandise you could buy when suddenly I passed Julian. I was painfully shy then, besides what do you say?, and just muttered “hi” and he grinned a big grin! After the lively Woodentops, I recall a few songs clearly. Seating himself behind a piano and singing O King Of Chaos, pogoing to Culture Bunker(had no choice as an older, bigger Teardrops fan was using my shoulders to spring higher!) and of course Reynard. There were about 3 Japanese girls next to me very distressed at what they had just witnessed. I was thinking wow that’s cool(though worried if he was going to be ok)!
Makkr
307 posts

Jan 20, 2020, 23:23
The legendary Cope self harming gig. What an introduction.

That tour was also the first time I saw Cope live, March 20th at Newcastle City Hall 1984 with a very sparse crowd and yes, The Woodentops, as support.

I still have the t-shirt from that tour, but it's now an absolute faded rag !!!!

I went back to the Newcastle City Hall a few months later in 1984 to see The Bunnymen on the 'Ocean Rain' tour and it was packed to the rafters;the energy from that gig was incredible and a complete contrast to Mr Cope's subdued appearance a few months earlier.
Mocked Turtle
8 posts

Edited Jan 21, 2020, 01:01
Jan 21, 2020, 00:59
It certainly was some introduction! I’d love to have the Hammersmith Palais gig on video, or even audio if either exist? I’ve no idea where my t-shirt from the tour went, I still have the programme to accompany my memory. I actually still wear my Battle Ye Not With Monsters belt to this very day, I’ve had to make an additional hole though!

How strange, I saw the Bunnymen on their Ocean Rain tour, at Brighton Centre in September ‘84. It was packed and very lively too.

Next you’ll be saying you saw the Icicle Works? I saw them in July ‘86, at the Town & Country Club. I loved most of the late 70s/early 80s Liverpool bands :)

Oh, for a Tardis...
thesussexidler
64 posts

Jan 21, 2020, 08:07
I think this is a really interesting debate & can apply to so many musicians. In one respect, the musos that try to evolve don't always get it right - nor could ever do so (Bowie '77? Yes!'87? No! Miles '70's? Yes! '80's? Er....) because they permanently shake things up. Better that than boring, dwindling repetition. In another, how many musos burn bright forever? I can barely think of one that's done so for even a decade before it all wanes. They're getting older, richer, fatter, more domesticated, less principled, more beige - maybe all of these things! Can you imagine what those '60's guys must be thinking as they start work on that 97th solo LP? You're bound to have good & bad runs.

As for Julian - maverick, enigma, whatever. I think you're along for that ride regardless. Look at recent events - Black Math? Ouch - I almost called it a day with that one but out came Balance and Civil War and I'm mad for it again. It's a crazy ride but..........I'm still here!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Jan 21, 2020, 12:45
Zariadris wrote:
am I the only fan of the Black Sheep VC?!

It's a distinct possibility!
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Jan 21, 2020, 14:46
Jan 21, 2020, 14:43
Vybik Jon wrote:
Zariadris wrote:

I'm still waiting for your follow up albums in the Paleolithic caves of Franco-Cantabria and the Great Pyramid of Giza.

One day the world will understand.
common era
865 posts

Jan 21, 2020, 18:48
Vybik Jon wrote:
Zariadris wrote:

What the fuck? A BSVC fan? Even I'm not a fan and I was there!

We're still working on the always difficult second album. At first listen it wasn't disappointing enough so we having to rethink it.
common era
865 posts

Jan 21, 2020, 18:53
Mocked Turtle wrote:
I’d love to have the Hammersmith Palais gig on video, or even audio if either exist?

You might be in luck as several recordings from the 1984 tour exist, although they are ropey in quality and that's saying something. The one's I know of are:

1984-March-18 Lancaster Sugarhouse
1984-March-19 Edinburgh Coasters
1984-March-20 Newcastle City Hall
1984-March-22 Manchester Hacienda
1984-March-23 Liverpool Royal Court
1984-March-24 Birmingham Odeon
1984-March-25 Hammersmith Palais
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Jan 21, 2020, 20:39
common era wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
Zariadris wrote:

What the fuck? A BSVC fan? Even I'm not a fan and I was there!

We're still working on the always difficult second album. At first listen it wasn't disappointing enough so we having to rethink it.

C'mon man, what's not to love? Who hasn't felt this way deep in the caverns of the earth? The sheer freaked out subterranean joy, the lingering smell of disarticulated bones, the sound of blood coursing through your ears (perfectly captured by the analog hiss, like the nearby rushing of the Styx).

Seriously, you guys are heroes - I'm not joking! I've got the great Wideford Hill playing right now and it's like a-cappella Cluster. I wanna head back down into the Great Mother's bosom and shout and grunt and scream the corn into the furrows.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index