Unsung Forum »
Dope feat. Fuck Authority - Black Math album

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jazzer
123 posts

Re: Dope feat. Fuck Authority - Black Math album
Jul 09, 2019, 20:31
Hi. Email me if it does not arrive in the next couple of days, it was posted. Thanks. paulhorlick(at)rocketmail.cm
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Jul 09, 2019, 23:22
It's very dark for sure. Suppose given the title we might have expected as much. Very much in the vein of the prior Fuck Authority release though and given the mood I happened to find me self in last night it surely hit a spot:

It's a seething monster that lurks in the next room, behind the wall, under the floor after all - and we're safe here - just - with that half cracked glockenspiel for comfort. And there's still a moment of serene beauty amidst all the murk on the penultimate track. No mistakes, Cope knows what he's doing. X
Daniel
277 posts

Jul 10, 2019, 13:25
MARTASE wrote:
It's very dark for sure. Suppose given the title we might have expected as much. Very much in the vein of the prior Fuck Authority release though and given the mood I happened to find me self in last night it surely hit a spot:

It's a seething monster that lurks in the next room, behind the wall, under the floor after all - and we're safe here - just - with that half cracked glockenspiel for comfort. And there's still a moment of serene beauty amidst all the murk on the penultimate track. No mistakes, Cope knows what he's doing. X

I'm with you on this one. Despite I heard the thing only once it's quite disturbing, a little eerie sometimes but there's a lot of beauty here and there. Metaphorically speaking this album could have been made in the dark ages. Sounds icy and oppressive at times but with brilliant opacity if I may be allowed the expression. There are hints of industrial and dark folk, though less martial and less imperative than the characteristics of those genres. Informed by repetition and perseverance in order to achieve its goals, I found 'Black Math' great and I suspect when intensify the spins it will be a grower. IMHO Cope always delivers the goods.
Jeez
98 posts

Jul 20, 2019, 13:03
I do like Avalon's sleeve designs a lot. I note that the Black Math cd sleeve is a Garrod & Lofthouse classic flipback design from the 1960s. I thought they went out of business.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Jul 20, 2019, 13:41
Jeez wrote:
I do like Avalon's sleeve designs a lot. I note that the Black Math cd sleeve is a Garrod & Lofthouse classic flipback design from the 1960s. I thought they went out of business.

I agree. The artwork and design of Black Math is lovely, with the insert and inner sleeve and all. Who were Garrod & Lofthouse?
Jeez
98 posts

Jul 20, 2019, 14:04
I think they were the company who made the classic LP sleeves in the 60s, (eg The Beatles) and their thing was to use thick card and a wrap-around cover with folded-over edges such as on the Black Math cd.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Jul 20, 2019, 15:35
Thanks man. Yes, that's what I love about this album's design. Had loads of lps as you describe, but never knew the name.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Jul 21, 2019, 02:00
Kinda like this...
http://www.yokono.co.uk/collection/beatles/uk/guide/printer_up/with_mono_y1_jobete1N_back_credit.jpg
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Jul 21, 2019, 04:49
Yes! Cheers monganaut. I never paid attention to it.

I'm assuming Garrod & Lofthouse are not whom Cope is referencing with "Also Sprach Garethustra"?
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jul 21, 2019, 15:03
Zariadris wrote:
Yes! Cheers monganaut. I never paid attention to it.

I'm assuming Garrod & Lofthouse are not whom Cope is referencing with "Also Sprach Garethustra"?

That would be Gareth Turner aka Fuck Authority
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index