Dope feat. Fuck Authority - Black Math album

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drudeawakening
138 posts

Re: Dope feat. Fuck Authority - Black Math album
Jul 09, 2019, 08:03
thesussexidler wrote:
Well, er, I’ve just played mine. I’m lost for words.

Mine is yet to hit the door mat. Are you lost for words in a good way?
thesussexidler
64 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2019, 08:29
Jul 09, 2019, 08:28
Sadly, no. I've only listened once but I thought it was really very poor. An Emperors new clothes scenario where somebody in the studio should have said 'Is this really what we want to be releasing?'. There's enough people on the recording! Urgh - I don't fell good saying this & do expect rapid excommunication but this is not good. Lumpen chanting and droning. A million miles away from what JC can do & has done. Don't hate me, fellow Heads....
drudeawakening
138 posts

Jul 09, 2019, 09:59
thesussexidler wrote:
Sadly, no. I've only listened once but I thought it was really very poor. An Emperors new clothes scenario where somebody in the studio should have said 'Is this really what we want to be releasing?'. There's enough people on the recording! Urgh - I don't fell good saying this & do expect rapid excommunication but this is not good. Lumpen chanting and droning. A million miles away from what JC can do & has done. Don't hate me, fellow Heads....

Nothing wrong with your opinion, man! Don’t let anyone make you feel like you’ve been excommunicated.
Have you enjoyed other Dope releases, out of interest? And did you listen to last year’s release on the same label?
thesussexidler
64 posts

Jul 09, 2019, 10:28
Thank you. Appreciated. Yes - I have them all bar the initial ep. Village Idiot is a favourite. Thus far, I’ve enjoyed the releases. It would be good to know what other Heads think.....
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2019, 16:02
Jul 09, 2019, 15:22
Just to keep you on your toes, ths is not like other DOPE releases, it's all a bit Teutonic. Deffo has an industrial edge to it (Next DOPE album will be hip hop I'm guessing ;). Vibe reminds me of the LP Bleakhouse by band Sink Manhatten from 1988 (though they had the odd geetar whereass DOPE doesn't, more drums /electronics /piano /horns). Repititon repition repition as the Fall might have it. Don't hate it, but then again, I always enjoyed industrial music. Not sure the lyrics chanted by an Brit in German add anything to the proceedings, esp in our current alt. right leaning world...but maybe JC is just being antagonistic (or maybe I'm just being generous...could living in the country skew your opinions?) The spoken word piece about social inclusion/ostracization is all a bit 6th form prose.
Just in case you're curious about Sink Manhatten sound...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UrWPBHLvLs&t=171s
thesussexidler
64 posts

Jul 09, 2019, 16:31
That's interesting - thanks.
BJR
5 posts

Jul 09, 2019, 19:37
I'm afraid I gave up after 25 minutes and don't think I'll bother trying again, pretty much unlistenable and disappointing. I needed to keep the full set of Dope up to speed, but this is the poorest so far
drudeawakening
138 posts

Jul 09, 2019, 19:53
I wish I could offer an opinion but my copy is yet to be delivered. Getting a bit apprehensive as ordered the day it went up and I’ve had my SydArthur shirt since
thesussexidler
64 posts

Jul 09, 2019, 19:57
It’ll come & I’m looking forward to hearing from you - and the other Heads.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Jul 09, 2019, 20:25
BJR wrote:
pretty much unlistenable

I wouldn't go that far, just not the kinda DOPE sounds were used to. I guess the release could have been given a different moniker instead of DOPE, as it is markedly different in sound, feel and vibe , but I'll deffo give it some time (but as I said, I don't mind a bit of industrial, so it's not a sound I don't enjoy).
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index