Space-rock/psych-punk bands from the UK festival/squat scene

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Re: Space-rock/psych-punk bands from the UK festival/squat scene
Jul 28, 2011, 16:29
Im a massive Terminals fan. Angels in Pigtails is one of my alltime faves.

This is my fave of theirs from it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm6o4QOUqrg

The Bud Alzir stuff is great as well, really well made real dub and a quite a departure for them.

The early stuff like "Johnny Townmouse" is pure skronk but love their synth and samples stuff like "King Of All Spaceheads" as well.

Great performance of Blowhound live :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Afg0o8mn3o
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Aug 03, 2011, 18:45
Re: The Other Window
Jul 28, 2011, 16:55
ToneStone wrote:
I have their 1st Lp !!! I can send it ya in about a week im off travelling.

Fuckin' love you Tone, nice one!
balbulus
8 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2011, 18:33
Jul 28, 2011, 17:56
Thanks for all your replies so far, keep dredging up them names!

Most of those names I have encountered in my recent research, but Webcore sounds very intetesting, I'll be checking them out in greater detail later tonight. The crossover with this stuff and the post-punk and anarcho-punk scenes is an area that particularly interests me.

That whole 80s/90s DIY festi psych scene is crying out for a decent book to be written about it. "FestRockSampler"?

To the person who mentioned Litmus; yes, I've been enjoying their albums for a couple of weeks now, excellent stuff (if a bit too Hawkwind obsessed!).

I should add that the recommendations don't necessarily have to be from the UK festi scene; this just seems to be the main source of what I'm after. Other scene's welcome if it fits the bill!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2011, 11:30
Jul 28, 2011, 18:27
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
certainly the dreadful Back to the Planet... whose guitarist, Fraggle, is now a millionaire property developer, I'm told...

Now why doesn't that surprise me?

BTTP were utterly worthless tripe. A facet of the early 90s that I've long sinced buried deep in my unconscious in order to erase the trauma of having known they existed.

Their singer Fil ended up going solo and fronting a band that used to rehearse at the studio in New Cross where I worked. Contrary to the uber-matriarchal New Age slum goddess persona that she presented to the music press, she was a stroppy harridan who never stopped whining about how much we charged despite the fact that we were the cheapest rehearsal studio in South London at the time. So much for anti-materialism!

That stupid, sanctimonious song they wrote about Ninja Turtles annoyed me a good deal more than said turtles themselves.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jul 28, 2011, 19:50
What a great thread this is. How could I forget about Terminal Cheesecake? In the process of checking out others mentioned that I never knew (AOS3 etc).

And there is a great story to be told about all this. And what a denouement! Killed off by rave culture as much as anything, remember hardened counter culture types having their heads turned upon meeting the rich young things in their BMWs. Dreadlocks swapped for designer shirts within a year. But a million different stories drawn from our own personal experiences, Criminal Justice Act looming the largest. And better music than I had allowed myself to remember.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jul 29, 2011, 12:18
Copey wrote a pretty good review Limus' "You Are Here" as his Unsung album of the month a few years back, in case you missed it. Have a look back through the archive if you haven't already.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jul 29, 2011, 12:20
And of course "Earthling Society" are excellent, although maybe a bit different to what yr looking for?
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jul 29, 2011, 14:36
Yeah, same sort of era-ish, wondered though, hadn't seen em anywhere, but that means nowt, I saw the Levellers three times and can't remember any of em at those festivals

Gwyllm & the Raspberry Flavoured Cat, a Dr and the Medics pseudonym, from the Planet Alice (that was the name of the club the Dr ran?)

Voodoo Child

Underground Zero - really rated them at the time (defo space rock!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNs0tCiq_7E
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jul 29, 2011, 17:53
I had forgotten the Suze De Blooze and the Androids of Mu. Happy times in the grime of under the Westway and other free concerts.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jul 29, 2011, 23:04
Don't think anybody's mentioned World Domination Enterprises? Stalwarts of the squat scene, but harder edged than a lot of the other bands mentioned. This track just gets better and better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isi4FYDFfps "Dogs don't like the smell of your children..."

Second album 'Love from Lead City' is dubbier and less likely to give you a headache
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index