Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 28, 2010, 16:10
Country Rock?
I'm stickin with the Gosdin Brothers, Gene Clark, The Byrds, The MuleSkinners, Gram Parsons[International sub...etc..],The Leather Coated Minds[jj Cale].....etc....
WAY.....before Nesmith.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:13
dodge one wrote:
Harry Nillson, Neil Diamond and Paul Williams were the 'REAL' Monkees....amongst many other writers and studio musicians.
I think its funny that the Monkees are getting the REVISIONIST assesment nowadays by folks who were'nt even born yet during there tenure.
Like the boy bands of the modern era, a TV fabrication that took it self too seriously.
Light hearted POP if nothing else played by real'crack' L.A. studio musicians in the majority.

What is wrong with people re-assessing the past? Sometimes cultural associations and myths lead to incorrect assumptions. I know, for example, that I hated Japan because I met them in their early days and they were rude, so I never took their music seriously. It was only years later after much prodding from a big Japan fan that I re-listened and realised I liked what I heard. We all make mistakes.

And this is re-assessment I think, rather than revisionism. It matters not a jot whether you were born or not then - I was born then, and old enough to remember the big Beatles/Monkees rivalry between young fans at the time over here in the UK. That dosn't mean things can't be re-assesed. To say anything else smacks of snobbery to me.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2010, 16:16
Oct 28, 2010, 16:16
Re: downloads. I happily pay for them. If I'm unsure about an artist I will check them out via the library. If they happen to be one of my beloved Blues heroes who is dead or has no estate (I do invesigate, beleive me) I won't buy if the money going to scanadalous rip off merchants like Page/Plant, for example. I'll burn instead. Otherwise, I support the artists I listen to by buying the product. If someone is kind enough to copy for me as an intro. like we did with tapes in the old days (after all, that's what burning is IMO) I go and buy the product. I don't care if they're established like Dylan etc. I'm happy to buy if it's quality. If it's rubbish, I don't.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:17
"Wrong"?

Once again Squidy....you wilfully mis-quote to suit your insatiable need to get all hysterical and self righteous. You spend ENTIRELY too much time right here on HH.
The correct word...in CONTEXT...was "FUNNY"
Get a fuckin' clue mate.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:20
Pardon? Can't make much sense of that I'm afraid Dodge.

FWIW I was trying to make polite conversation, it obviously wasn't worth the effort.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2010, 16:21
Oct 28, 2010, 16:20
That's precisely what started to intrigue me. I remember how surpised I was when I found out about the record co. insistence on session musicaians re The Byrds' Mr Tambourine Man. The recent Shindig! article amongst other things, got me thinking about investigating/extrapolating that concept re. The Monkees.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:22
SUBLIME.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:27
And I'm the self-righteous one??!

Dodge - I post a lot on here becasue I value HHers points of view, and respect their opinions. Why do you post on here?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2010, 16:50
Oct 28, 2010, 16:40
dodge one wrote:

You spend ENTIRELY too much time right here on HH.

I don't what's going on here, but that's just not fair. So do I then. I work for myself from home a lot and I'm online. When I'm doing my other job, I don't post. Everyone's situation is different, Dodge, and there all sorts of reasons/circumstances re. posting frequently or infrequently. I have my own separate private life, and re. my social life, this is an extension. Be fair.

Edit: and surely if anyone who was isolated by either circumstance or choice got a lot of good from hanging out here, that could only be a good thing, right?
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 16:41
SeaCat, you can do whatever you want.
I personally don't really care if you spend every waking moment here.
On the other hand though, my comment directed at Squid was directed at HIM only. In context.
The context being, that it seems to me Squid, somehow, MIRACULOUSLY, is RIGHT FUCKING THERE....every time i post !!
Usally within moments too !!
Usally with some lame self righteous reply that reads to me like a cry for attention.
It's just astonishing how he is ALLWAYS there....
Just for me.
Ready to pounce with a lame reply.
Thats the context.
NOTHING to do with you.
Mutual Respect goes a long way with me.
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index